Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2009, 08:43 PM

Default Bullet size?

Was looking at goldenwestbrass site. They have 150 grain ".308" bullets on sale. I'm guessing that these would be the ones to reload for a 30.06 Garand. However; I'd rather not guess. Are these the ones to get?
Old 10-27-2009, 09:05 PM

These will work Charles. Have you done much reloading to date. there are also 168 gr bullets too. Your gun may or may not perform better with one of the two bullets available. I wouldn't buy 1000 of the 150 gr bullets. Its usually best to shoot several weights of bullets with different powder loads listed in a reloading manual with a section on service rifles in 30-06 and see which one your rifle likes to shoot the best. If you already know this I apologize for stepping out of bounds. And if all you want to do is have fun throwing some lead down range then by all means. This bullet would be a good choice to start with with the approiate powder and charge.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:40 AM

Default rstbk69

Thanks for the reply. Thusfar I have not reloaded anything. I'm saving up to get an entire reloading kit. I'm just trying to get enough information to get started on this endeavour. I've got the ABC's of reloading and the big Hornaday reloading book. It'll take me a while to put all of this information together.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:54 AM

Default save some money

If all you want to do is put lead downrange, you can save a ton of money by buying pulldown bullets from one of the surplus dealers. These are bullets from surplus ammo the government, in its infinite wisdom, has decided to destroy by breaking it down into components and selling the pieces. You can purchase very nice M25 tracer bullets for about .15 each or new manufacture M2 150 gr bullets for .17 each from Wideners.com, and there are other surplus dealers. Also available are new sniper and match bullets. They sell pulldown powder too at very good prices. Unfortunately no surplus primers that I know of.

Good luck with the reloading.