Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2009, 02:46 PM

Default FG garand at North store 11/6/09

Well, I went to the north store today and got there at 8:00 am. Was one of the first people in line today and went in and the head armorer said "hey you want a good gun take this one" it was in his hands. It was a springfield FG garand and the barrel was I think a 1 and throat maybe a 2.5. The stock is dry but some good oiling will do the job on that "BLO or Tung" then furniture wax. It looks brand new!!! It has a stamping of an eagle with three stars over it, what is that? Its a three million serial number is that ww2 or korea? I will take pictures of it when I get home so I can show it on this thread. I still want to have a moment of silence though for those who were lost in wars here and foreign.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:00 PM

Check out this link to get an idea of when your rifle was manufactured - http://www.fulton-armory.com/tea/m1serial.htm

A 3 million serial number is definitely not Korean war era. The "Chicken and Stars" cartouche on the stock is an acceptance stamp that I believe was used beginning after the Korean war era.

Congrats on your "piece of history". Don't forget the pics
Old 11-06-2009, 05:10 PM

Good job. I was there this morning but didnt get there til just before 9.

I got an HRA that is exactly like you describe. 100% finish on it. Havent taken it apart yet, but aside from the bolt (SA) and barrel (LWR), she looks all HRA. Bolt, barrel and receiver are all black, with a light color stock. Butt plate on the stock is new, not a scratch on it. Stock has some wear though.

Mine was a ME of below 3 and a TE of 1

I also picked another beaty up that was in the SA field grades, ME of 1 and TE of 3.

There was also a Rack mixmaster (HRA bolt, WRA triggerguard and NM oprod) grade in the SA's that had an ME of 1, and a couple other ME's of 1 dispersed in amongst the racks.

I will post pictures next week, as I have to work this weekend, and have no time to ogle my new babies

Last edited by easyv; 11-06-2009 at 05:14 PM.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:49 PM

Some HRAs had LMR barrels. Do not consider it wrong until you've checked it out.

Someone more knowledgeable than I can tell you the SN range for HRA with LMR barrels.

"Life is Good!"
Old 11-06-2009, 11:54 PM

The LMR barrels are fantastic! Sounds like you guys found some nice FG rifles. Congrats. Maybe things are turning the corner.
Old 11-07-2009, 12:22 AM

What is the deal with the LMR barrels......what are these desireable?

Gen George S. Patton
Old 11-07-2009, 07:55 AM

From what I've read, LMR barrels where of generally considered a higher quality GI barrel, and were put on HRA's at times at the factory.

The thing I am wondering though, is about my SA bolt. It has exactly the same finish/shade as the rest of the HRA parts. I can't imagine it was repark'd (would the Greeks do that?) as an HRA would be a '53-'55 production vintage.

This is going to drive me nuts all weekend.
Old 11-07-2009, 02:09 PM

Went to north store this morring(11/7/09) got there about 9.30, went though all Carbines, nothing jumped at me, so over to SA Feild grades. Bob said there where some nice ones out, he was right,use my old bullet test and found a 2,649,XXX with a 2-44 barrel with lots of life left in it, and some prity nice GI wood. very happy with my trip down- had the place to my self for almost an hour- Lots of SA/HRA feild grades to go though, Have a good Veterans Day Wensday -Roger
Old 11-07-2009, 04:48 PM

I must have been right behind you. A very quiet day there today. Indeed there were some gems out there. In addition to my two woodless from Thursday, I took home three more including an HRA that should have been service that Bob pointed out to me (I wasn't looking at the HRAs, so I would have missed it without his help). Perfect crown, ME1, TE2. Also took a FG Springfield with brand new NM op rod & HRA trigger group and a woodless 3.7m with a 1945 barrel that gauged 2&4.

Always a pleasure to see the folks at the NS. Thanks again Bob!