Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2018, 07:54 PM

Default Hey FFL folks

so, I have to send a rifle coast to coast, reading up on UPS
( https://www.ups.com/us/en/help-cente.../firearms.page ) guidelines, and not wantingto cause waves

Q. when I wander up to the counter, do I not say I have a rifle in the box, do I whisper it to someone, or do I just put the box on the scale and say nothing

Q. on the UPS form, do I not state that it is a rifle, or....

inquiring minds

thanks, Bill
"I shall never surrender or retreat. Then, I call on you in the name of Liberty, of patriotism, and everything dear to the American character, to come to our aid with all dispatch. ..." William Barret Travis VICTORY OR DEATH - The Alamo 1836

Old 11-12-2018, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgreyguy View Post
so, I have to send a rifle coast to coast, reading up on UPS
( https://www.ups.com/us/en/help-cente.../firearms.page ) guidelines, and not wantingto cause waves

Q. when I wander up to the counter, do I not say I have a rifle in the box, do I whisper it to someone, or do I just put the box on the scale and say nothing

Q. on the UPS form, do I not state that it is a rifle, or....

inquiring minds

thanks, Bill
Pretty hard to answer the questions as worded.
You will get more than 1 answer, so how will you pick the correct one?
My suggestion: Call UPS and ask them.

Or: Yes, yes.
JH

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread
Old 11-12-2018, 08:06 PM
Banned

If they are interested at all, they know what it is or suspect. Mostly,not intersted. It's just another box and it's three hours 'til quiting time. Don't be talky. You aren't doing anything exciting, although it's exciting for you. The U.S. postal service advises not to mark the box with anything indicating that is is a rifle/gun. I have had curious clerks ask me if it is a rifle. I say, drive shaft.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryjeff View Post
. . . . . . I say, drive shaft.
Yup . . . This^^^^^^^ . . . . .

Iíve shipped many a drive shaft myself!
Old 11-12-2018, 08:56 PM

Here’s been my experience, FWIW...

I’ve used UPS twice to ship a Garand. Both times they asked what was in the box and I told them an unloaded rifle with no ammunition. They asked for the receiver’s license, which I had brought a copy of. Showed them the license, they said “thank you very much” and took the package. Both times the package was received on the other end without any issue.

It was pretty easy and painless. And as I said, without issue. I just followed the instructions on UPS website.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:59 PM

Do you have to use UPS? I've found them more expensive and certainly more invasive than USPS, my standard shipper.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:38 PM
Banned

Also, if your are shipping to Bob's Rifle and Pistol emporium, short hand it to-
Bob's
2343 fifth street
Anchorage, AK 99701(made up address)

The delivery person doesn't care that you shorthanded the title. They care about the address and he knows where"Bob's" is.
The point of this is, as I understand it, is while the parcel is transversing the U.S. and in various hands, it doesn't advertise "gun" which if stolen makes for complications.

Last edited by jerryjeff; 11-12-2018 at 09:42 PM.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:42 PM

Default This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blockhead View Post
Do you have to use UPS? I've found them more expensive and certainly more invasive than USPS, my standard shipper.
+1
Old 11-12-2018, 10:36 PM

I've shipped rifles via USPS. Most times they just ask: anything flammable, hazardous, or dangerous? I just say no.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:43 AM

I use FedEx through GunBroker. Then when you create your shipping label the firearm is declared while creating your shipping label. Then all you have to do is walk in to FedEx, drop it off, and leave. Most of the time the conversation only consists of a simple greeting, them asking if I want a receipt, me telling them yes please, then tell each other to have a great day. Thats it.

Only used USPS a handful of times and each time you'd think that I was sending nuclear materials to North Korea, talking down to to me and treating me like a criminal. I know not all offices are that way, but doing it through GunBroker eliminates the risk.