Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 10:53 PM

Default Selling C&R Firearms

I'm just a common everyday Joe Shmo with a C&R. Is it lawful for me to buy a space at a gunshow and display all my C&R rifles for sale rather than list each one (one or two at a time) in the classifieds?

My motive is to thin out or eradicate my collection rather than have my survivors stuck with them all before I go to that big gunshow in the sky!

Last edited by tmark; 11-13-2018 at 10:55 PM.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:10 PM

Why not list all of them at once here? One large ad?

My feedback thread
Old 11-13-2018, 11:12 PM

Yes, perfectly legal as long as you didn’t just buy all your C&R firearms with the intent to sell them on a table at a gun show. If just thinning a long time collection, you are good to go.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwitte View Post
Yes, perfectly legal as long as you didn’t just buy all your C&R firearms with the intent to sell them on a table at a gun show. If just thinning a long time collection, you are good to go.
My collection is a 15 to 20 year endeavor so I should be safe. I conclude it would be wise for me to have my data sheet of purchases the ATF sent with my C&R packet.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmark View Post
My collection is a 15 to 20 year endeavor so I should be safe. I conclude it would be wise for me to have my data sheet of purchases the ATF sent with my C&R packet.
Should be
Conclude

Seriously, don’t get legal advice from the internet.
Especially involving firearms.
Call the BATFE, utilize the services of an attorney.
Consider the risk if what “should be” isn’t.

Jh

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread
Old 11-13-2018, 11:54 PM

Just remember that will you need to get the buyers info to show them logged out of your bound book.
Old 11-14-2018, 12:59 AM

Exclamation

Actually selling them on a table at a Gunshow could actually get messy. But, to be certain, you should call BATF and ask them. Get a name and get something in writing. Any opinions you get here won't do you much good if it indeed gets messy. As a C&R holder you can't be "perceived" to be in the "business" of selling firearms. It could also get complicated finding a way to get the guns legally transferred if the buyer is not a C&R or FFL. That means youneed to be certain of your State, City and maybe County codes and laws concerning transfer. Messy....maybe...or if you're lucky, maybe not. I will almost guarantee an eventual audit of your books when all is said and done.

Last edited by lapriester; 11-14-2018 at 01:02 AM.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:43 AM

folks should read the regs and FAQ that come with s C&R.... specifically talks about selling your collection....

You can also let it expire and then sell as a private individual or send it in and give it up.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:28 AM

If you get rid of your license then your won't have any worries because you'd be a an average Joe selling his personal property (if your state allows this).

Otherwise as stated before I wouldn't get advise from the internet lawyers. Look at what the law says (the part that says you cannot use your C&R to conduct business) and make your own articulable decision, or email the ATF. (I would email rather than call so you have something to hold onto rather than just "I was told by...")
Old 11-14-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane1 View Post
Just remember that will you need to get the buyers info to show them logged out of your bound book.
This is a problem with a C&R. Asking for anymore info other than a name can be a deal breaker. Not everyone likes to provide too much personal info to strangers.
Closed Thread