Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2009, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garandaddy View Post
Rack Grades are NEVER rated that way because of wood, they are that way because they do not meet the rankings for a FG or SG. NEVER EVER for wood. Look at the grading criteria and you will see the differences. Could there be a lock bar sight or older parts sure, but at this time the obvious parts like a lock bar will probably never be found again in any but a correct grade.
Sure there are other elements that are considered.. My point is clear that many rifles that could be considered a FG are graded as Rack due to wood. I have personally inspected racks of rifles at the stores and compared NW, TE fit and finish. In many cases the RG MW or TE is better than a FG, but the wood is junk.
Sorry to disagree but, wood is a consideration in the grading. This does not mean that one of the CMP armorers will allow a SG condition file to go out with a bad looking/broken stock.

RACK GRADE: (Fair)
Rack Grade Rifles. Most of these rifles have been refinished or rebuilt at least once while in military service and will likely have some parts from other manufacturers. Rifle wear will be exhibited by worn and mixed colors of the finish; there may be some minor pitting on the metal parts; wood will be basically sound but may be well used with minor hairline cracks, poor fit, and many dings, scratches and gouges; wood may not match in color, type of wood or condition. These rifles may have some foreign parts and wood may be Walnut, Birch, Beech or other variety. Rifles do not have import marks. Bores will be generally good with only minor imperfections; the barrel crown may be nicked, and the muzzle may gauge more than “3” on muzzle gauge. The Throat Erosion will gauge more than “5”The overall appearance and condition of the rack grade will generally be rougher than any other grade. Fair condition.

Manufacturer selection only guarantees the receiver was produced by the manufacturer listed. The barrel and the other parts may have been produced by other manufacturers.

FIELD GRADE: (Fair to Good)
Field Grade Rifles. Most of these rifles have been refinished or rebuilt at least once while in military service and will likely have some parts from other manufacturers. Fair to good condition. Rifle wear will be exhibited by worn and mixed colors of the finish; there may be some minor pitting on the metal parts; wood will be basically sound but may be well used with minor hairline cracks, and many dings, scratches and gouges; wood may not match in color, type of wood or condition. These rifles may have some foreign parts and wood may be Walnut, Birch, Beech or other variety. Rifles do not have import marks. Bores will be generally good with only minor imperfections; the barrel crown may be nicked, and the muzzle may gauge more than “3” on muzzle gauge. The Throat Erosion will gauge less than 5 – well within US Army standards. Do not expect rifles in mint condition in this grade.

Manufacturer selection only guarantees the receiver was produced by the manufacturer listed. The barrel and the other parts may have been produced by other manufacturers.
Old 11-08-2009, 11:10 AM

They evidently must take wood into consideration when grading these rifles. I found my FG SA at the North Store in August. I had help with an expert, Dave, finding it. Dave and I even compared my rifle with the SA Service Special grade rifles that were there at the time and mine gauged as good as any of them! We both concluded that the only reason it wasn't a service grade rifle was because the wood was beat up and down right ugly! I bought the rifle with the plan of replacing the wood. I was pleasantly surprised how well steam and lots of love restored the wood to its present condition.

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/r.../m1finish6.jpg
Old 11-08-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
obvious parts like a lock bar will probably never be found again in any but a correct grade.
Sorry to disagree, but someone from this forum just posted a picture of a newly received SG with a lockbar, another posted that they found a RG/FG with a lockbar at the NS...

I don't think anyone would agrue that they are becoming less common.

In my limited experience I've never seen a RG or FG with wood that looked anywhere near the condition of the SG's I've held. To say wood has no bearing on grade doesn't match my observations.

Last edited by cuppednlocked; 11-08-2009 at 11:23 AM.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:59 PM

Default Service Grade's at the North Store

No Service grades when I was there. Although I found a FG HRA with matching Receiver, bolt & barrel. Throat graded out at 1-1/2 and muzzle 1+, bore was bright and shiny. Only problem was one of our Greek brothers decided to take his bayonet or knife and make shallow cross cuts down both sides of the stock. Since the mechanics seemed in great condition and it was built in 1954 I bought it and refinished the stock. Looks a lot better now and it's a great shooter.
I saw a few real tight HRA's and SA's, although the furniture may need a little TLC.

Last edited by crthomas; 11-16-2009 at 08:29 PM. Reason: sentence structure
Old 11-16-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
parts like a lock bar will probably never be found again in any but a correct grade.
Correct Grade WWII rifles? Now you really are dreaming
Old 11-16-2009, 08:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to deputy85

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh53gunner View Post
Sure there are other elements that are considered.. My point is clear that many rifles that could be considered a FG are graded as Rack due to wood. I have personally inspected racks of rifles at the stores and compared NW, TE fit and finish. In many cases the RG MW or TE is better than a FG, but the wood is junk.
Sorry to disagree but, wood is a consideration in the grading. This does not mean that one of the CMP armorers will allow a SG condition file to go out with a bad looking/broken stock.

RACK GRADE: (Fair)
Rack Grade Rifles. Most of these rifles have been refinished or rebuilt at least once while in military service and will likely have some parts from other manufacturers. Rifle wear will be exhibited by worn and mixed colors of the finish; there may be some minor pitting on the metal parts; wood will be basically sound but may be well used with minor hairline cracks, poor fit, and many dings, scratches and gouges; wood may not match in color, type of wood or condition. These rifles may have some foreign parts and wood may be Walnut, Birch, Beech or other variety. Rifles do not have import marks. Bores will be generally good with only minor imperfections; the barrel crown may be nicked, and the muzzle may gauge more than “3” on muzzle gauge. The Throat Erosion will gauge more than “5”The overall appearance and condition of the rack grade will generally be rougher than any other grade. Fair condition.

FIELD GRADE: (Fair to Good)
Field Grade Rifles. Most of these rifles have been refinished or rebuilt at least once while in military service and will likely have some parts from other manufacturers. Fair to good condition. Rifle wear will be exhibited by worn and mixed colors of the finish; there may be some minor pitting on the metal parts; wood will be basically sound but may be well used with minor hairline cracks, and many dings, scratches and gouges; wood may not match in color, type of wood or condition. These rifles may have some foreign parts and wood may be Walnut, Birch, Beech or other variety. Rifles do not have import marks. Bores will be generally good with only minor imperfections; the barrel crown may be nicked, and the muzzle may gauge more than “3” on muzzle gauge. The Throat Erosion will gauge less than 5 – well within US Army standards. Do not expect rifles in mint condition in this grade.

sure thats the case now, but back in 04-08 when i was buying almost nothing but rack grades,/appx20/ they all with one exception met service grade standards with the exception of ugly wood which cleaned up very well, the 3 hra s i bought were in fact nearly 100% hra with the exception of rear site or trigger, something like that, im looking forward to this next batch of greek AF rifles hoping that maybe their grading standards will get loose again lol