Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2012, 02:42 PM

Default 1903 Rock Island (Now With Pics)

I picked up a reaallly cheap 1903, Rock Island Ser # 222,7##. Barrell is dated 1912, with steel lot and proof stamp on the bottom of the barrell behind the front sight. Ferris lists this serial number in a range that should have a 11-12 dated barrell which it does.

The stock is a S-type with finger grooves. I found no markings on the stock, at all. I lightly wiped off the excess 100 years worth of grime on the stock, and found no markings. Butt plate is the small checkered style which appears correct for the stock and rifle.

A co-worker had it and a 92 Winchester that were his great Uncle's that passed away. The only information that the seller had was that his father remembers the rifle in the corner by the Uncle's front door in rural Alabama since he was a child...prior to 1930.

Rifle shows allot of use, and normal stock dings but it is pretty good shape overall. I would call the bluing 70% on most of the parts. Only missing peice is the stacking swivel screw...which has a peice of wood, like a very old dowel holding the stacking swivel on. Plan to replace with a screw. Bolt blueing wear indicates the rifle has been fired a great deal. Seller says his dad remembers firing it as a child on on many occasions ( I know it is a Low Number.)

What other markings should I look for to determine if all the parts on the rifle are original? Is it uncommon for the stocks to not have any markings?

I'll post pics asap.

Last edited by gwagner; 10-01-2012 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Pics Added
Old 09-25-2012, 03:52 PM

Both the windage and elevation knobs should be dished and not flat. The no 7 used on the RIA sight is distinctive also, so you can ID it as well.

Post lots of pictures please...we like pictures!
Old 09-25-2012, 05:17 PM

How many cross-bolts in the stock?
Old 09-25-2012, 09:04 PM

Look on the front end of the stock - is there a large 1/4" "S" stamped there?

Also - look on all sides of the safety lug, located about halfway up the bolt body, for markings. If the bolt is "bent", look on the top or bottom of the bolt handle "root" for markings.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:05 AM

Default Thanks!

I'll check all of that and get some pics up this evening I hope.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:04 PM

Ok guys...No S on the front of the stock under the barrell. There are two cross bolts in the stock.

The windage knob is dished, but the elevation slide has been replaced with a flat knobbed slide that I bought at a gun show...I forgot about that...it was missing when I got the rifle about 6 months ago. Need to find a dished one somewhere. Anybody got one?

Barrell is marked on top RIA 11-12, and K 5 and P under that.

The bolt has something marked on the bottom of the bent bolt root. Can't tell what it is...I'll have to find a magnifying glass.

I do not see any steel lot stamped on the safety lug.

Got dark before pics...I'll post some tomorrow. I think I did OK for $150.00.

Seriously, if anyone knows where I can get a correct elevation slide, let me know.

Also, what do I need to look for ont he 7's on the sight?

Last edited by gwagner; 09-26-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:25 PM

I think the bolt is straight...and the only mark looks like a "punch" mark on the bottom of the root.

I don't see a steel lot code on the lug.

Last edited by gwagner; 09-29-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:28 PM

Default Pictures

I have a correct rear sight on the way as we speak.

http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/a...ox/RIA%201903/
Old 10-01-2012, 12:55 PM

Based on the pictures it may be a post WWI rebuild. The K5 on the barrel is the steel lot code, the P indicates that the barrel was successfully proof-tested.

For $150 you did very well. The bolt may be an early SA or RIA - they weren't marked.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:11 PM

Thanks Rick.

Does the bolt assembly finish not matching matter? The sleeve especially looks darker.

Why would the stock be devoid of an S?

Also, is tha a J on the band?