Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2017, 09:47 AM

Default Any carbines today?

Being the carbine match is on today,thought carbines may show up.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:04 AM

Nope, and Bob says they have none to put out
Old 07-20-2017, 10:09 AM

I realize they are not import marked and have been gone over by the armorers (which is important), but prices on a CMP carbine are just barely below what you can find them for?

I can find them for $1000 anytime and when looking probably $850 or less...
Old 07-20-2017, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weimar_police View Post
I realize they are not import marked and have been gone over by the armorers (which is important), but prices on a CMP carbine are just barely below what you can find them for?

I can find them for $1000 anytime and when looking probably $850 or less...
I suppose they price them at or near current market price because they don't have many on hand and sell out each and every time they put some out in the stores.

So they can sell out at their price or yours. It seems they are choosing theirs.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:09 AM

Carbines life is shorter than Garands. They do not hold up and wear out sooner. Even though more were made ,there used up.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:36 AM

Send a message via AIM to Mike in NC

I disagree that M1 carbines have a shorter life than M1 Garands. I collect both weapons and I find M1 carbines to be simple and durable, especially when you are talking about M1 carbines and not select fire M2 carbines.

The majority of M1 carbines that are to be seen today still have their original barrel. The 30 cal. carbine round is basically a pistol round in terms of amount of powder for a 30 cal. bore and the lack of throat wear compared to that seen in a 30.06 Garand. In my experience the only part that seems to break more often in M1 carbines are the bolt lugs. Extractors wear out to some extent. Stocks can crack. The rest of the parts seem to pretty much go forever.

I would argue that the M1 carbines are more scarce today because a higher percentage were demilled. I suspect after the M16 came into use, the handiness of a M1 carbine as a light weight, low recoil weapon became obsolete.

Also not as many M1 carbines were loaned to other allied countries and then returned back. The Garands that were loaned to Greece and then later returned fed our appetite for Garands at the CMP for a lot of years. The number of carbines that came back from Greece, Italy, Bavaria (Germany), and Austria are only a fraction of the number of Garands that came back from Greece alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandofM1 View Post
Carbines life is shorter than Garands. They do not hold up and wear out sooner. Even though more were made ,there used up.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:29 PM

Yep I agree carbines break extractors and bolt lugs,stocks. Over 6.1 million carbines made,only 5.5 million garands. Pretty close in numbers.

Last edited by bandofM1; 07-21-2017 at 04:22 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandofM1 View Post
Yep I agree carbines break extractors and bolt lugs,stocks. Over 10 million carbines made,only 6 million garands.
Off by a few million on the carbines.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:26 PM

Your right huntertn. I like the carbine,but I think the Garand is more reliable. Jumping Jim Gavin did not like them,but Audie Murphy loved them. To each there own.