Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2009, 12:58 AM

Default Which rear sight for the 40X?

I have on order a USMC and HB. I ordered the Redfield Palma for the rear sight, mainly because it was the most expensive. Which sight would be mostly correct? My plans were to scope one of the rifles, so I bought only 1 set of sights. Which rifle would be better scoped? Or do you think both should be fitted with sights? I have gone 22 crazy, CZ 452 on the way. I am sending it off to have the barrel threaded for a Gemtech suppressor. Glad my wife lives in another state, but then again, all guns look the same to her.
Old 12-08-2009, 07:13 AM

Have a heavy barreled 40X..stamped US..it has the redfield international rear sight..just assume that is correct but don't know for sure...i'm sure the experts will let us know
Old 12-08-2009, 08:29 AM

I've read the Palma is not correct in terms of time period, but it will work as will all three the rear Redfield sights currently offered.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:37 AM

If you are looking for vintage correct, the Olympic rear sight was issued on the 40X's (the $100 sight).
Old 12-08-2009, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.W.A. View Post
If you are looking for vintage correct, the Olympic rear sight was issued on the 40X's (the $100 sight).
Correct, AFAIK.

Trouble is, all of the Redfields have been out of production since Redfield went under in the '80s (give or take a recession or so), and aren't getting any fresher.

Many others make sights that will fit on the Redfield base system. One great choice for a shooter (as opposed to collector) would be the REG E1:

Old 12-09-2009, 02:23 AM

The previous lot of USMC property marked 40Xs that were sold with the sights and handstop, came with the International rear sight. Mine came with the Olympic rear, but the CMP advertised them as to include the Inernational rear and the Olympic front......wonder if the USMC got them that way?
Old 12-09-2009, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.W.A. View Post

OK, the Olympic is "vintage correct." Which of the three sights for sale by CMP would work best for the average competitor?
Old 12-09-2009, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvader View Post
OK, the Olympic is "vintage correct." Which of the three sights for sale by CMP would work best for the average competitor?
So much depends on the condiiton of the individual sight you receive.

I'll stick by these comments.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:18 AM

Quote:
My "vintage correct" answer was in specific response to Blitz10's original question. Personally, I prefer the Palma, it has less backlash upon adjustment and I like the sight picture but I have no major issues with the International either and have one on my Winchester 52B. I ordered an Olympic for my pending 40X just to have something to use until I decide which scope I will mount on it.

But all of the above is just my personal choice. As was mentioned previously, the differences between the International and Palma are relatively minor and both are competitive sights and it really does boil down to personal preference.

Regards,
Old 12-09-2009, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Question still stands
I thought I was clear that I prefered the Palma????
That was my answer, others may have a different opinion.