Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2009, 10:43 PM

Default Rem. 40X at SS

I picked up a 40X at South Store this mourning and thought I would let anyone interested know that they still had about 20 left on the rack when I left at 10:30. Condition was far better than what I had counted on. All were 40XB's (700 style), heavy barrels, bent bolt and full stock rail. Most I looked at had matching serial #s on their bolts. Bluing on most 90%+. Stocks were in pretty good shape with some having a few small dents or scratches. They also had Kimber 82's for 400.00 that were marked rusty. I didn't see any rust anywhere, but they could have had a little surface rust in the chambers.
Old 12-09-2009, 11:39 PM

I am glad you did good! I would love to visit store, just one time. Too far to drive. Checked Amtrack [train ] , takes 3 days.
Wish you could call the store, have them pick one out and send it to you. Owell, that would be low down on my wish list. Thanks for the report.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:18 AM

Hey 03spfld, thanks for the report. You just made my day. It was good to hear that they are in 90%+ condition with mostly all matching bolts and decent wood. I'm sure that most of us that ordered by mail wondered about the condition and which action style the 40X rifles were built on. 03spfld, I have two questions: Were the receivers stamped "U.S." and did your serial number end with a letter "B" ? Thanks.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:40 AM

Glad to hear there are some nice ones left. I finally got off my butt and mailed in my paperwork for the 40X.

Where's the pics!!! A pick of a loaded rack of 40Xs would have been nice.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:51 PM

I was there also. They are all 40X B's. I did not see any 722 actions and all had the bent bolt. There were 12 left at about noon and most of those had mismatched bolts. Over all the rifles were in good to great condition. Saw two or three that were on the fair but still worth more than the asking price. Stocks will need some love on a few of these but a little sand paper and tung oil and any problems can be fixed. The 82Gs had a little surface rust on the bolts either on the bottom or on the extractor area where the bolts are not blued. The yellow protective greese is all dried out on these and looks like some moisture got to them. Steel wool will remove the rust as none looked pitted or deep and you will never know it was there. Donald
Old 12-10-2009, 06:26 PM

Don, good to see you on the forum! I would love to be able to visit the store in person, must be like a kid in a candy store. Regards
Old 12-10-2009, 08:00 PM

Surplushooter, All the rifles I looked at had a B at the end of the serial number. All the complete rifles had the U.S. stamp on the receiver, but I saw a few barreled receivers that didn't have the U.S. stamp. I saw a few barreled receivers that looked brand new. Hope this helps.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:02 PM

I would post some pictures, but I don't know how to put them on this forum. Sorry, I'm not real good with computers.