Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2019, 07:05 AM

Default New to me 1903A3 question

I finally jumped on the band wagon and purchased from CMP a Remington 1903A3. 3,785,XXX serial no., 5-43 Rock Island barrel, Muzzle 0 Throat 1, beautiful shinny bore, standard proof markings (I'm assuming) on the straight stock. Stock has one scratch and a scuffed up front top hand guard. No biggie since overall it looks great! Bob at the counter said looks like arsenal rebuild in it's lifetime since a light parked finish on receiver.

This morning I'll be disassembling the bolt for a massive cleaning since it's boofed up with cosmoline plus removing the trigger/mag well assembly for a thorough cleaning. I punched the bore already and it is just about perfect! Looking forward to a range session either this afternoon or tomorrow with pictures. I have plenty of HXP ammunition that I use in my Garands.

My question is: Should I also take the receiver and barrel assembly completely out of the stock for inspection and cleaning? My thoughts are leave it alone and see how and where it shoots first before attempting this undertaking. I have the skills and proper tools, but why go this far I'm asking myself? Like to hear your thoughts......
Old 11-16-2019, 08:54 AM

I very much doubt your 5-43 barrel is from Rock Island . . . . .I’m thinking it is “R-A/5-43”.
Old 11-16-2019, 09:07 AM

I'd shoot it to get a baseline, but make sure all your screws/bolts are properly tightened. The upper receiver tang if not properly clearanced and tightened properly can crack the tang area when fired - the trigger plate bolts if loose can cause the recoil lug to crack under repeated recoil - there was a comment on another thread to remove the stock, check for pitting/rust on the underside of the barrel - treat appropriately and then remount the wood stock. BTW, who's initials are on the armorer's tag (JB?) - If it was Mr Beard, I would drop him a note with your SN to see if he has anything to add from his inspection notes....
Old 11-16-2019, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimF View Post
I very much doubt your 5-43 barrel is from Rock Island . . . . .Im thinking it is R-A/5-43.
You are correct, Sir. Then it is not a Rock Island, but Remington Arms (I'm guessing). Still learning. I stand corrected. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzMedic View Post
I'd shoot it to get a baseline, but make sure all your screws/bolts are properly tightened. The upper receiver tang if not properly clearanced and tightened properly can crack the tang area when fired - the trigger plate bolts if loose can cause the recoil lug to crack under repeated recoil - there was a comment on another thread to remove the stock, check for pitting/rust on the underside of the barrel - treat appropriately and then remount the wood stock. BTW, who's initials are on the armorer's tag (JB?) - If it was Mr Beard, I would drop him a note with your SN to see if he has anything to add from his inspection notes....
All the bolts were pretty much loose. I did end up taking it apart. Lots of cosmoline inside stock and rest of inside guts. Cleaned up nice and already reassembled. Heading back to North Store now since I need a sling. Inspectors initials on tag was PRS or PKS?
Old 11-16-2019, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post
Inspectors initials on tag was PRS or PKS?

Thanks for your patronage!

The CMP inspector was Princeton K. Soh, a good friend who inspects with me. He does not take notes on the rifles he inspects.

Thanks again for your patronage!

J.B.
Old 11-16-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Beard View Post
Thanks for your patronage!

The CMP inspector was Princeton K. Soh, a good friend who inspects with me. He does not take notes on the rifles he inspects.

Thanks again for your patronage!

J.B.
Your welcome Mr. Beard. I've always wanted an 03A3 for many years. Now my rifle has a history. Thank Mr. Suh for me if you would.
Old 11-23-2019, 04:26 PM

First range session today. The trigger is remarkable! Accuracy is better than I am. I'm used to shooting mouse loads 5.56. This rifle with straight stock is taking a little getting used to. I'll be fine soon. Glad I purchased this piece of history.

Old 11-23-2019, 07:57 PM

That is a pretty rifle. Congrats on a nice purchase.