Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Accessories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2022, 02:08 PM

Default Weaver 330 M8 identification

Hey guys!

I've recently bought a Springfield 1903A4 in Europe. Everything looks fine - checked the numbers and barrel is matching with the receiver (January 1944). The problem is in the scope. I got Weaver 330 M8 (which from what I read, should not be on this rifle (it should be m73b1 scope)). I was aware of that, but every single post in the internet says that this scope should have a tapered post recticle, well mine has a cross...

Questions:
1. Am I right with the assumption that this scope wasn't installed on this rifle at the start?
2. Is that possible that this scope can have a cross as a aiming net?

Attaching pics.

Thanks and very best from Poland!

Old 08-10-2022, 06:18 PM

The 330 M8 may have been an addition late in the war!! Conjecture has been that Weaver could not keep up with the demand for the 73B1, so they began to take what was available!
Some with more knowledge may pop in !!
Old 08-11-2022, 09:17 PM

You are basically right in that a shortage of Scopes for the M1903A4 sniper rifles created numerous problems for Remington and the Ordnance department. However the timing is off. Early in !943 Ordnance was really up against filling urgent requests for sniper rifles from Combat Units. For its part Weaver scoured its network of wholesalers and dealers looking for any unsold 330C's (or anything close to one like the "330 Scope - M.8").

Commercial versions of the 330C and the "330 Scope-M.8" were both available with either crosswire or tapered post reticles.

So it appears that relatively small numbers of "330 Scope-M.8" were vacuumed up by Weaver and Ordnance in the early months of production more than likely so some ordnance inspector could say "close enough for government work" and get the rifles out the door.

Jim