Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask CMP
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2019, 08:59 AM

Default 2019 Games Rules- MM in 4-Gun Aggregate

CMP- question

The 2019 Games Rule Book spells out a “new” twist on the “Class A” Modern Military Rifle. As I understand it, this class is now basically a 7.5 lb. AR, with iron sights, no optics, floated or not.

The book also spells out the Unlimited Modern Military class of AR’s, which will essentially be ones’ Match prepared Service Rifle (insert here 300 point scores, winners determined by X-count).

All well and good, but which classes are eligible as the fourth gun in the Four Gun Aggregate? Class A & B only? Or will Unlimited be included?

Thanks.

Ken Lore
Old 01-12-2019, 10:29 AM

Ken: The GSVMM is the heart of CMP Games competition, embodied by the four rifle aggregate. The M1 unlimited class is not part of the aggregate and exists as a largely ignored class. No Springfield or Vintage unlimited but--the new MM unlimited promises to be a large and popular option. My hope is that it will be excluded from the aggregate (as is the M1 unlimited). It can stand alone as a match. The changes in MM rules seem to be an effort to bring it back toward the original concept....if the unlimited is not allowed in the aggregate. I regret the inclusion of free floated HGs as this pushes the ARs ahead of the other old semi's but it seems that M14 and M16 types are destined to dominate MM. If they allow unlimited in the four rifle aggregate, we will still have the three rifle aggregate for the purists. Unending, isn't it? Good Shooting. ...
Old 01-12-2019, 03:43 PM

Phil,

Agree with you 100%. My hope too is that the CMP follows “logic”.

Essentially, they’re putting the MM AR back to the SP1-2 and M4 configurations. I don’t disagree with the logic, as long as they follow through on the Four Gun Agg as we’ve pointed out. But I want to hear it from them, Christie Sewell I suspect is still in charge.

IMO, using a Match prepared Service Rifle for an “A” Course is akin to rolling a Nitro Funny Car off a trailer for a street drag race against Billy Bob in his Chevelle. Guess if it makes you feel good cleaning SR targets.....

Hope you pop on down to Butner this year.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3StrikesNC View Post

Essentially, they’re putting the MM AR back to the SP1-2 and M4 configurations.
Well, not really. Once they allowed 2 stage match triggers, float tubes and match iron sights, there is a large divergence from SP1's and M4's. The M1A weight limits went from 9.5 lbs. to 10 lbs. to 9.0 lbs. Now even a standard M1A with a walnut stock is too heavy based on the average weight spec from SAI. The thought process behind these changes is very confusing.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3StrikesNC View Post
...but which classes are eligible as the fourth gun in the Four Gun Aggregate? Class A & B only? Or will Unlimited be included?

Thanks.

Ken Lore
It seems pretty straightforward to me. Just piece together all the relevant rules sections.

4.6.6 As-Issued Military Rifle 4-Gun Aggregate
The As-Issued Military Rifle 4-Gun Aggregate may be included in the programs of the National Matches, CMP Travel Games or CMP Sanctioned Matches. The aggregate is a total of scores fired in the John C. Garand Match (Rule 4.2.2), the Springfield Rifle Match (Rule 4.2.3), the Vintage Military Rifle Match (Rule 4.2.4 or 4.2.5) and the Modern Military Rifle Match (Rule 5.6.2).

5.6.2 Standard Modern Military Rifle Match
b) Rifles. Any Modern Military Rifle that complies with Rule 5.2.2 and Rule 5.2.3 or 5.2.4 may be used. Competition events may be divided into two classes for Modern Sporting Rifle (Class A) and Modern Military Rifles (Class B).

5.2.2 General Rules for Modern Military Rifles

5.2.3 Standard U.S. Modern Military Rifles, Class A

5.2.4 Standard Modern Military Rifles, Class B

So, the way I read it is the 3 & 4 gun aggregate consists of Garand, Springfield, Vintage & Modern Military A & B. No unlimited Garand or Modern Military.

Jim
Old 01-13-2019, 09:29 PM

Thank god im not going to any big events.
I dont have a standard A2 that will cut weight. All 3 are over 7.5lbs ,7.6-7.8.
My SAI M1a in USGI walnut wont cut it either
My Rock Ola , USGI parts kit and Criterion barrel is over also.
Im thinking cmp should just get rid of Mondern Military all together. Not much mondern about it and most have wondered from "military" standards also.
First time around I could not find a "military contour" barrel for my AR. Was glad when they ditched that rule. Seems now if I want to play I have to shave several onces from my AR , guess I will just keep cutting the barrel back until Im under.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:20 PM

Still to much to hope that there will ever be a vintage semi category.

I need to go weigh my stock GI A2... Not sure if its under 7.5# either...
https://www.facebook.com/groups/654109364964194/ CMP Travel Games FB Group
Old 01-22-2019, 11:57 AM

I just built an A2 (RRA upper) with a Windham 20" govt-profile barrel that barely makes weight. No fancy & expensive parts.