Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask CMP
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 11:53 AM

Default M1 Carbine

Any updates on the 80,000 M1 Garands and 600,000 M1 Carbines that South Korea has sitting in their warehouses?
Old 02-05-2019, 12:06 PM

I think the update is that they want to sell them to the highest bidder, but the US does not want to bid.
Old 02-05-2019, 03:23 PM

I don't understand how they can do that considering they are already U.S. property. They were loaned to them under the MAP program. (Military Assistance program)
Old 02-05-2019, 03:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to Mike in NC

The South Korean position is that the rifles that they currently have in inventory are ones that they purchased. We both loaned them rifles and sold them rifles. The South Korean military believe that all those we loaned them were scrapped and are no longer in inventory. They believe that the ones they currently have consist of only those that they purchased. There were no serial numbers recorded at the time that can be used to prove which ones were loaned and which ones were sold to South Korea. I don't believe the charter of the CMP allows them to purchase firearms and import them on their own, they can only take possession of weapons that are transferred from our own military. Our military is not going to commercially import these weapons.
Old 02-05-2019, 03:52 PM

Interesting, makes one wonder if they have 600,000 Carbines how many did we sell them? I would hope we would at least know that. With that number it would be easy to see if we are getting the finger from them. Of course if the U.S. pulls out of Korea along with all those U.S. Dollars they may need to get them out of storage considering their neighbor to the North
Old 02-05-2019, 05:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to andyman Send a message via Skype™ to andyman

Maybe
Old 02-05-2019, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in NC View Post
The South Korean position is that the rifles that they currently have in inventory are ones that they purchased. I don't believe the charter of the CMP allows them to purchase firearms and import them on their own, they can only take possession of weapons that are transferred from our own military. Our military is not going to commercially import these weapons.
Pretty much this except that the CMP charter definitely does not allow for commercial import.
This has been discussed and answered ad nauseam, and nothing has changed.

CMP Customer / GCA Member / VFW & NRA Life Member

Feedback Thread: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=137544
Closed Thread