Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP 1911
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2019, 08:03 PM

If you're gonna shoot it , please make sure you use a fresh 18lb spring and a shok-buff to keep the old gal from cracking.

Great advice. When I get one (#4700) I'll inspect and fire it as received for a function test and then add the new spring and buffer.

Thanks, Rich
Old 02-12-2019, 09:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to xd9x19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkk41 View Post
Keep in mind these pistols were built for wartime use , supposedly a 5000 round design life. The slides were only induction hardened in spots , slide front slightly past the dust cover and the slide catch notch.

If you're gonna shoot it , please make sure you use a fresh 18lb spring and a shok-buff to keep the old gal from cracking.
Since I am only a casual "gun guy" - I know a good bit in general, but not all the details that so many here know - I have no idea what a "shok-buff" is. And I assume a new spring is just a standard part that can be bought at about any place that sells gun parts.

And as a "casual gun guy", if I get a 1911, I'll probably put 500-1000 rounds a year through it for the rest of my life (I'm 54), so I won't abuse the thing, but I definitely will shoot it.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:46 AM

Google "Shok-buff"
Old 02-12-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xd9x19 View Post
Since I am only a casual "gun guy" - I know a good bit in general, but not all the details that so many here know - I have no idea what a "shok-buff" is. And I assume a new spring is just a standard part that can be bought at about any place that sells gun parts.

the standard place many folks get springs is Wolff springs - they have anything from luger to 1911 - and you can get them in different 'weights' - i.e. how much pressure it takes to pull back the slide, which of course is how much pressure it takes in slamming the slide back after recoil....

AND, I know I'm more of a collector, but 500-1000 rounds is something I do every 2-3 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattc1886 View Post
What types of ammo are safe to use in these pistols? I got my number and have started looking at things to buy while I wait.
No offense, but there are 4 previous pages discussing this same topic

Last edited by Big_Red; 02-13-2019 at 01:25 AM. Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old 02-12-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skohler View Post
Google "Shok-buff"
Oh, come on, you don't really expect me to go to that much trouble, do you?
Old 02-12-2019, 11:23 AM

One note with the 18# spring... I have used one for years (about 15) in my Kimber 1911 Gold Match and will continue to do so. The main reason for doing so is to make sure the weapon cycles after a lot of shooting for training, long matches etc. The Kimber is so tightly machined that after a few hundred rounds the dirt and grime begin to affect the operation. With the 18# spring it keeps on going and going until I can strip and clean it.

The downside is that 18# springs require a lot of effort to rack. If you have sweaty or oily hands it can be a problem. Also, as I get older and arthritis is creeping into my hands it is sometimes a chore to rack the pistol. 16# springs with a buffer may be adequate. I will try both to see which suits me the best.

Rich
Old 02-12-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weimar_police View Post
the standard place many folks get springs is Wolff springs - they have anything from luger to 1911 - and you can get them in different 'weights' - i.e. how much pressure it takes to pull back the slide, which of course is how much pressure it takes in slamming the slide back after recoil....
Is the standard spring 18lbs or is that your preference? I know enough that it can vary based on the situation/competition and shooter preference.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:37 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by xd9x19 View Post
Oh, come on, you don't really expect me to go to that much trouble, do you?
Just busting your chops. I have the same comment for my kids whenever they ask me a question I clearly would not know. They walk around with their smart phones and ipads all day and are able to answer a vast majority of their own questions- I just got into the habit of saying "just google it". Same thing with asking about what time it is while holding their phone.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:41 PM

I was in a class for a few years and the teacher, a very handsome and smart individual would always say "Google' is your friend. Although we know that is not always true, it mostly is for many questions.

Although last night, we were watching the new TV show and there was a Lincoln I think (1959?) and google failed me. But most of the time I would say to the class, well, what did google say?
Co-Author of Police Lugers 2012
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I & Vet Bring Backs Vol II, a collection of stories on guns & equipment brought back by GI's.
Co-Author of the book Simson Lugers
Old 02-12-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YahooMarine View Post
One note with the 18# spring... I have used one for years (about 15) in my Kimber 1911 Gold Match and will continue to do so. The main reason for doing so is to make sure the weapon cycles after a lot of shooting for training, long matches etc. The Kimber is so tightly machined that after a few hundred rounds the dirt and grime begin to affect the operation. With the 18# spring it keeps on going and going until I can strip and clean it.

The downside is that 18# springs require a lot of effort to rack. If you have sweaty or oily hands it can be a problem. Also, as I get older and arthritis is creeping into my hands it is sometimes a chore to rack the pistol. 16# springs with a buffer may be adequate. I will try both to see which suits me the best.

Rich
So...the stronger the spring, the more protection, I guess. But a stronger spring would put more pressure on the slide slamming back forward. The biggest risk to the slide then, is from the recoil, not return...correct?