Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask CMP
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2019, 11:51 AM

Default Armors Course and Receiver Selection.

Hello. I have a question regarding receiver selection in the armors class. It seems to be all SA receivers. Why not have the ability to select a different manufacturer? I would be more than happy to pay an up fee for a IH, Win or HRA. Just like we do with the mail order rifle program. Want a win, pay a little more.

I get it that its subject to receiver availability but it would be a nice option to have. It would also be a little extra revenue to the CMP.
Old 02-01-2019, 12:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to Mike in NC

I am not the CMP and this may ruffle some feathers, but the SA receivers may be less likely to have any dimension and functional issue when building up a rifle. My experience is that this is the case for at least Winchester receivers. When putting used Winchester barrels on Winchester receivers, they seem to have more issues with headspace and timing. It might be easier to produce a uniformly high quality product from SA receiver, especially for beginning armorers.
Old 02-01-2019, 12:22 PM

I would try emailing the custom shop and ask them if you would be able to upgrade to another receiver. Worse they can say is sorry can't do it. I have taken the class and you go up to a table and select your receiver one table at a time. They had a cover over them so you couldn't preview them prior to selection. I'm sure there are less hassles if they are all the same manufacturer so all hell doesn't break out. If there are only 3 "special" receivers and all 20 participants want one, what are you going to do, start auctioning them off?

Whatever you end up with, you will enjoy the class.
Old 02-01-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in NC View Post
I am not the CMP and this may ruffle some feathers, but the SA receivers may be less likely to have any dimension and functional issue when building up a rifle. My experience is that this is the case for at least Winchester receivers. When putting used Winchester barrels on Winchester receivers, they seem to have more issues with headspace and timing. It might be easier to produce a uniformly high quality product from SA receiver, especially for beginning armorers.
Interesting. Didn't know that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkost View Post
I would try emailing the custom shop and ask them if you would be able to upgrade to another receiver. Worse they can say is sorry can't do it. I have taken the class and you go up to a table and select your receiver one table at a time. They had a cover over them so you couldn't preview them prior to selection. I'm sure there are less hassles if they are all the same manufacturer so all hell doesn't break out. If there are only 3 "special" receivers and all 20 participants want one, what are you going to do, start auctioning them off?

Whatever you end up with, you will enjoy the class.
There wouldn't be an issue if you paid for a certain make of receiver. The guy who didn't get to pick from one table. The guys who did get to pick from another.

Upsell the customer.

Last edited by Big_Red; 02-02-2019 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Merge consecutive posts again