Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask CMP
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2019, 10:32 AM

Default Did all greek returns have "Greek" on the certificate?

Hi,
I'm selling one of my Garands, and I thought it was a Greek return. However, upon looking at the certificate, it doesn't say "Greek" anywhere on it, which means it's my service grade USGI. Just needed some clarification.

Thanks
Old 02-10-2019, 10:51 AM

None of my Greek returns say “Greek” on the Certificates. They only say the grade such as Service Grade or Correct Grade.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:57 AM

The CMP receives all of the surplus rifles from the US military. At least in the past, where they have been "repatriated" from was of little concern to the CMP and only seemed to be of interest to the purchasers. The certificate for my "Greek" 1903A3 is not marked with any indication where it was returned from.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:04 AM

Mine...

Vs others (general google search)....

Through doing some internet sleuthing, I think this may not be one of my Greek rifles. It looks like the CMP started selling them in 2004 (earliest Google search date for "Greek Garand" goes to 2004), and I bought this from the CMP in '03

Last edited by Big_Red; 02-11-2019 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Downsize pic!
Old 02-10-2019, 12:07 PM

with the very first ones, yes.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:22 PM

At one time they did. They also had "USGI" ,rifles that weren't loaned to other countrys
Old 02-10-2019, 01:39 PM

I have a Greek return from 2006 that does not say Greek on the COA. Through a research letter CMP verified that it is a Greek return. I also have a COA for a SG IHC O-65 from 2017 that says it's a O-65 on the COA. Last year I bought a O-66 at the store that did not say it's a O-66 then when I mentioned that the O-66 wasn't on the COA I was told that they don't include that info on a COA. My point is there doesn't seem to be a lot of consistency in the way COA's are worded.

Last edited by Ronwall; 02-10-2019 at 02:02 PM. Reason: added info
Old 02-10-2019, 02:45 PM

Any idea when they started selling the first batches of Greek returns? This could be one surefire way of telling...
Old 02-10-2019, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumpet View Post
Any idea when they started selling the first batches of Greek returns? This could be one surefire way of telling...
Surefire way of telling what?
If it says Greek, it is.
If it doesn't, it could be Greek, or US, or a leftover Dane.........
All rifles sold after some date range are by no means assured to be Greek anymore than today you sure to get a Garand returned form Turkey, The Philippines, or simply wherever the Army received that one Garand in that one crate.
At the end of the day It's a Garand made for the US with an unknown history like 99% of them.

JH

Zvenoman's Feedback Thread
Old 02-10-2019, 03:22 PM

Surefire way of telling if it's a Greek return. I just want to have the right info for the rifle I'm selling. I got it in '03. If they didn't start selling them until '04, then I know it's not a return.