Go Back   CMP Forums > Marketplace > Junior Shooting Rifles/Equipment
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2014, 10:00 AM

Default Hand Built Cart Final

Final cart build, cut substantial weight. Cart weighs 11 pounds, flat free tires / wheels add 9 pounds (16") or 10 pounds (20"). Wheels are secured with lynch pins, they remove easily for transport / storage. Took about 8 hours. Can't wait to try it.

Last edited by Tony F; 03-17-2014 at 01:34 PM.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:40 PM

Do you have a drae=wing you'd be willing to share?
Old 06-28-2014, 07:11 PM

Smile drawing

I might be tempted to part with some coin of the realm for a set of said drawings! ( and materials list)
Old 06-29-2014, 02:14 PM

Default Hand Built Cart

I don't have a set of blue prints only my "sketches". A materials list would be easy though.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:14 PM

Your cart looks great. I was expecting to see some incarnation or a welding cart complete with milk crate, or some sort of wagon that doesn't go with you to the line. The solid aluminum bars are better than aluminum tubing, and should hold up well. To make it do everything you could hope for in a cart as the centerpiece of your range organization, consider adding a fold out table, and accessory rail along the bottom facing the shooter. Mine holds two mag pouches, smoker, and a general use closing pouch that uses the old ALICE clips. Having sweat rags attached to the cart low and high with a long zip tie, or retractable string is also very handy.
Distinguished Rifleman #2198
NRA HP XTC High Master (service rifle)
NRA Patron Life member
PCGC Junior Team coach
CMP GSM Master Inst.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:18 AM

Default Hand Built Cart

Thanks. The flat stock is 1 1/4" X 1/4" 6061 aluminum. Rods are solid 1" acetal (delrin), supposed to have the strength of 1" solid aluminum at 1/2 the weight. Cost was about $100 for aluminum, bolts, nuts, clips, etc. and $80 for the polycarbonate tires / wheels. I wanted a cart that I could modify to my needs & it works great. Didn't improve my score though!
Old 07-02-2014, 10:24 AM

Looks good, I echo Greg's comments. A true test of durability would be CMP week at Camp Perry. The large wheels should serve you well wheeling it across the range, at least at Perry it's pretty "bumpy"...

Not sure how your M1 fits in there- looks like maybe you pin through the trigger guard? Make sure it can't rattle/come loose. If you use your cart a lot (compete in a number of matches), sooner or later you may need to upfit it for a rifle the length of a NM AR and/or M1 Carbine. Probably ought to include the capability to carry at least two rifles, once in a while three (Nationals- 1 for Hearst Doubles and two for Vintage Sniper), if you're in to that. Viale firing line is a long way from your vehicle in the parking lot.

Also- a place down low to lock in a small cooler for your lunch/favorite drinks can help as well.

Greg put me on to carrying one of those fold out camping style chairs at the Creedmoor Matches this year. At first I thought it unnecessary, but after I borrowed his he was right. You really don't want to use your cart as a seat, especially if you need to use it during a match quite a bit. Examples would include dragging your cart to the Viale firing line at Perry (though you can throw your stuff on the wagons to lessen the distance if you want to wait) or shooting XTC (200-300-600). If you compete in any of these or matches similar, just imagine your day if your cart breaks .... it could be miserable unless you've planned for it. The extra chair reduces that possibility. I've spoken to one guy (that many of you know) that carries a spare wheel- he said "happened to me once, won't happen again!".

Carts are more important in many competition events than folks think. If you shoot at clubs like the ones I do, not so much, but definitely at the larger Games/Nationals.

Still nice job. Nice to see others that have skills.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:13 PM

If you would like it turned into a solid model + dimensioned drawings let me know. Kinda what I do.
Distinguished Rifleman #2297
CMP GSM Master Instructor
NRA Certified RSO
CMP HP Rifle RO
Old 07-03-2014, 07:51 AM

Default Hand Built Cart

3Strikes NC, the rifles M1, M1A, and AR all fit. Can't see it in the photos but the but stock fits into a small padded "tray" on the large tray. The top part of the rifle is secured to the padded cross piece with an elastic strap with quick disconnects. Don't have a carbine to try. It has worked great at our local (300 yd) range. Thanks for the advice.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:44 PM

Nice work. I have been using my wife's collapsible wagon that she uses for our kids sporting events. It carries a lot of stuff but its kind of a PITA to use.

Any chance you could play your materials build list?