Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-02-2022, 01:09 PM
Chrisj831 Chrisj831 is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Monterey Bay Area-831
Posts: 33
Default Modern military weight

I think I know the answer but Iíll ask anyways. Are the rifles in Modern Military class (7.5 pds) weighted with or without the magazine? I remember reading they were not but wanted to make sure. Thanks a bunch!

Chris
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-02-2022, 01:13 PM
USriflecal30 USriflecal30 is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Tellico Plains TN
Posts: 626
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisj831 View Post
I think I know the answer but Iíll ask anyways. Are the rifles in Modern Military class (7.5 pds) weighted with or without the magazine? I remember reading they were not but wanted to make sure. Thanks a bunch!

Chris
Without mag, without sling.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-02-2022, 01:41 PM
Chrisj831 Chrisj831 is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Monterey Bay Area-831
Posts: 33
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by USriflecal30 View Post
Without mag, without sling.

Awesome; that what I figured. I appreciate the quick reply.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-04-2022, 06:53 PM
Twinson Twinson is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: IL
Posts: 1,802
Default

I suppose a Med Weight M14 barrel would be over weight.....
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-04-2022, 09:11 PM
ceresco ceresco is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 8,506
Default

Not necessarily. I had a Fulton medium barrel on one and could make weight. A lot depends on the stock. Good Shooting...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-05-2022, 01:25 AM
Headspace Headspace is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Massachusetts :-(
Posts: 577
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresco View Post
Not necessarily. I had a Fulton medium barrel on one and could make weight. A lot depends on the stock. Good Shooting...
Even if you made weight with a medium contour barrel it is still not modern military standard B-class legal. Medium weight M14/M1A barrel should get pushed right to unlimited. Simply stating my observations from Butner & Jericho.
Hoping to make Camp Perry one day.....on the bucket list !
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-05-2022, 12:10 PM
martindc1 martindc1 is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Salem, MO
Posts: 432
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headspace View Post
Even if you made weight with a medium contour barrel it is still not modern military standard B-class legal. Medium weight M14/M1A barrel should get pushed right to unlimited. Simply stating my observations from Butner & Jericho.
Hoping to make Camp Perry one day.....on the bucket list !
I have to respectfully disagree, based on the 2022 rule set. As it is currently written, the MM rules make no mention of barrel contour in either the general or class B sections. Only that an M1A/M14 must be 9.4 lbs or less. However, as mentioned, the tough part would is finding a stock that when combined with the medium barrel that would make weight. Maybe the 2023 rules will be written differently.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-05-2022, 03:22 PM
Random Guy Random Guy is offline
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 1,881
Default

I can't see how an M1A with a medium weight barrel would be under 9.4 lbs. I don't think that is technically possible based on my digital scale of an M1A w/ medium weight barrel. (Pics to follow).

What I used in Modern Military in 2021 is this M1A w/ standard weight barrel and skinny SA stock. Weight w/ no sling and no magazine is 8 lbs 13 ozs, and w/ an empty mag and sling itís 9 lbs 6 ozs.



Digital scale results:
Standard weight M14 barrel w/ op rod guide weighs 2 lbs 0 ozs.
Medium weight M14 barrel w/ op rod guide weights 2 lbs 15 ozs. (so a full 15 ozs heavier)
Heavy weight M14 barrel w/ oversized op rod guide is 3 lbs 8 ozs.

A medium weight barrel is almost a pound heavier than a standard weight, so that brings the weight up to around 9.75 + lbs even with a relatively skinny/lightweight wooden stock. (Approx 10 lbs with a thick stock)
Again, not possible to get an M1A under the 9.4 lbs with a medium weight barrel. The only exception might be the 'standard weight' barrel that Jon Wolff sells that splits the difference in profile, and is I think 4 ozs more than a standard weight, but still about 10 ozs less than a medium weight.

Last edited by Random Guy; 12-06-2022 at 07:27 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-05-2022, 03:39 PM
martindc1 martindc1 is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Salem, MO
Posts: 432
Default

Beautiful rifle, and yes indeed, it seems to me that the weight limit was established so exclude the medium weight barrels as it is just below the published weight of the ‘Loaded’ models. However, those barrels are not explicitly disallowed. Personally I wonder if a stock light enough to allow a medium weight barrel rifle to make weight would negate the advantages of the barrel through less than ideal bedding or whatever else.

That being said, when I get/build my own M1A for MM it will be a GI barrel.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-05-2022, 03:56 PM
Random Guy Random Guy is offline
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 1,881
Default

Quote:
I suppose a Med Weight M14 barrel would be over weight.....
Yes, see below pics.

Quote:
it seems to me that the weight limit was established so exclude the medium weight barrels as it is just below the published weight of the ‘Loaded’ models. However, those barrels are not explicitly disallowed.
I agree. Here's some pics of the weights of all three profiles.

Standard weight (1967 SA M14 barrel)


Medium weight (vintage Barnett barrel)


Heavy/profile weight (vintage Barnett barrel)

Last edited by Random Guy; 12-05-2022 at 04:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:20 AM.