Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2022, 01:09 PM

Default Modern military weight

I think I know the answer but Iíll ask anyways. Are the rifles in Modern Military class (7.5 pds) weighted with or without the magazine? I remember reading they were not but wanted to make sure. Thanks a bunch!

Chris
Old 12-02-2022, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisj831 View Post
I think I know the answer but Iíll ask anyways. Are the rifles in Modern Military class (7.5 pds) weighted with or without the magazine? I remember reading they were not but wanted to make sure. Thanks a bunch!

Chris
Without mag, without sling.
Old 12-02-2022, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USriflecal30 View Post
Without mag, without sling.

Awesome; that what I figured. I appreciate the quick reply.
Old 12-04-2022, 06:53 PM

I suppose a Med Weight M14 barrel would be over weight.....
Old 12-04-2022, 09:11 PM

Not necessarily. I had a Fulton medium barrel on one and could make weight. A lot depends on the stock. Good Shooting...
Old 12-05-2022, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceresco View Post
Not necessarily. I had a Fulton medium barrel on one and could make weight. A lot depends on the stock. Good Shooting...
Even if you made weight with a medium contour barrel it is still not modern military standard B-class legal. Medium weight M14/M1A barrel should get pushed right to unlimited. Simply stating my observations from Butner & Jericho.
Hoping to make Camp Perry one day.....on the bucket list !
Old 12-05-2022, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headspace View Post
Even if you made weight with a medium contour barrel it is still not modern military standard B-class legal. Medium weight M14/M1A barrel should get pushed right to unlimited. Simply stating my observations from Butner & Jericho.
Hoping to make Camp Perry one day.....on the bucket list !
I have to respectfully disagree, based on the 2022 rule set. As it is currently written, the MM rules make no mention of barrel contour in either the general or class B sections. Only that an M1A/M14 must be 9.4 lbs or less. However, as mentioned, the tough part would is finding a stock that when combined with the medium barrel that would make weight. Maybe the 2023 rules will be written differently.
Old 12-05-2022, 03:22 PM

I can't see how an M1A with a medium weight barrel would be under 9.4 lbs. I don't think that is technically possible based on my digital scale of an M1A w/ medium weight barrel. (Pics to follow).

What I used in Modern Military in 2021 is this M1A w/ standard weight barrel and skinny SA stock. Weight w/ no sling and no magazine is 8 lbs 13 ozs, and w/ an empty mag and sling itís 9 lbs 6 ozs.

Digital scale results:
Standard weight M14 barrel w/ op rod guide weighs 2 lbs 0 ozs.
Medium weight M14 barrel w/ op rod guide weights 2 lbs 15 ozs. (so a full 15 ozs heavier)
Heavy weight M14 barrel w/ oversized op rod guide is 3 lbs 8 ozs.

A medium weight barrel is almost a pound heavier than a standard weight, so that brings the weight up to around 9.75 + lbs even with a relatively skinny/lightweight wooden stock. (Approx 10 lbs with a thick stock)
Again, not possible to get an M1A under the 9.4 lbs with a medium weight barrel. The only exception might be the 'standard weight' barrel that Jon Wolff sells that splits the difference in profile, and is I think 4 ozs more than a standard weight, but still about 10 ozs less than a medium weight.

Last edited by Random Guy; 12-06-2022 at 07:27 AM.
Old 12-05-2022, 03:39 PM

Beautiful rifle, and yes indeed, it seems to me that the weight limit was established so exclude the medium weight barrels as it is just below the published weight of the ‘Loaded’ models. However, those barrels are not explicitly disallowed. Personally I wonder if a stock light enough to allow a medium weight barrel rifle to make weight would negate the advantages of the barrel through less than ideal bedding or whatever else.

That being said, when I get/build my own M1A for MM it will be a GI barrel.
Old 12-05-2022, 03:56 PM

Quote:
I suppose a Med Weight M14 barrel would be over weight.....
Yes, see below pics.

Quote:
it seems to me that the weight limit was established so exclude the medium weight barrels as it is just below the published weight of the ‘Loaded’ models. However, those barrels are not explicitly disallowed.
I agree. Here's some pics of the weights of all three profiles.

Standard weight (1967 SA M14 barrel)

Medium weight (vintage Barnett barrel)

Heavy/profile weight (vintage Barnett barrel)

Last edited by Random Guy; 12-05-2022 at 04:00 PM.