Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > 3-Position Air Rifle
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2016, 07:13 PM

Default Recommendation for a pellet rifle

Can someone recommended a good pellet rifle? Not wanting to spend a fortune. Will be used for removing rats. Would like one that is quite for they make such a model. Scope mount also.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:41 AM

Gamo for me. I got a great deal on the high velocity model with scope. Use it for squirrel and rabbit control. Accurate and hard hitting. Make sure you check out all the different ammo out there. AP, brass, lead, etc.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:25 AM

It really depending on your budget and environment you will use it. You probably need a .22 with sufficient power. Do you need quietness in a dense neighborhood? How far away do you need to shoot? Here is a good reference on power needed.
http://www.airgundepot.com/airguns-s...e-hunting.html
Old 03-03-2016, 10:35 AM

Also, if you plan to get scope with a spring pellet gun, you need to pick the right scope to absorbs the vibration. Some, if not most, firearm scope might not be able to handle it. The link about (or link embedded in the article) has good tips.
Old 03-03-2016, 11:41 AM

if you have noise concerns the less expensive guns are not for you.
I still like my crosman 1400 for sub 20 yard critter control.

other than that there are ******** ton of inexpensive pelletguns out there. some are good enough most suck. for pest control that is.

I have a soft spot for multi pumps. Still like my Sheridan 22cal

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Benjam..._rifle/205/570 toss on a Williams peep sight and you got a fun plinkier varmint eliminator

Last edited by mac1911; 03-03-2016 at 12:15 PM.
Old 03-03-2016, 06:18 PM

My budget is flexible, meaning I am willing to spend 300 to 400. Quite is a big plus. Do not need to call attention to the shooting. I have several scopes. These are for 22 caliber and larges calibers. I was looking at some of the Gamo's. Distance of shooting is less than 35 yards.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:21 PM

1) Benjamin 392 could be a good start since it is a Multi-pump pneumatic (less recoil for better accuracy). I am yet still to get one. I have a bias toward pneumatic, you could see below.

2) For about the same budget, you could also consider a Crosman 2400TK custom CO2 cartridge rifle with 14" or 18" barrel I think that it has enough power for rats since it could reach about 500 fps, upto 10 - 16 good shots with each fresh cartridge (I have a pitol version, 2300KT. Get .22LR version (they do have Lothar Walther Match barrel, but only 0.177, may not have enough power for rats at 35 ft). A great benefit/secret for a custom shop build is you get an adjustable trigger. You could add a shroud ($70) to it to make it very quiet from TKO. Everything together should fit into < $200 budget if you pick the basic features. You do not need fancy sights if you want to get the TKO shroud and add a scope.

http://www.crosman.com/custom-shop/

http://www.tko22.com/

3) Another level could be Benjamin Maruader Pistol 22 cal (PCP, $350 - $400). it is shrouded and accurate. You could use any fire arm scope. But you need a way to get air, either using a scuba tank if you already have, or a hand pump (+$160 to $300). Both Mac1911 and I gave you link to PyramyAir as they are one of the best for airgun. But price on Amazon or Walmart sometimes is better for the marauder pistol.

http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Benjam...ir_Pistol/2367

4) If you want go up more, you could try Benjamin Marauder Rifle 0.177 or .25 cal. The .22 rifle does not have a good reputation in accuracy and I would avoid it. The cost is $100 - $150 more than pistol. But great accuracy and power in both caliber for your needs. (See Pyramyd Air web site)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1 View Post
My budget is flexible, meaning I am willing to spend 300 to 400. Quite is a big plus. Do not need to call attention to the shooting. I have several scopes. These are for 22 caliber and larges calibers. I was looking at some of the Gamo's. Distance of shooting is less than 35 yards.

Last edited by xp220; 03-03-2016 at 08:48 PM.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:27 PM

Btw, this is a good review of 2400KT. He was at the same boat as you to look for a squirrel hunting air gun, and decided to go with 2400KT:

http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2014/...arbine-part-1/

Last edited by xp220; 03-04-2016 at 07:53 AM.
Old 03-04-2016, 12:51 PM

Thanks XP220. It looks like the 2400TK is the answer. Thank you
Old 03-04-2016, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1 View Post
I have several scopes. These are for 22 caliber and larges calibers.
Most standard scopes are NOT designed to take the reverse recoil from most air rifles.

I copied this from another sight 'cause I too lazy to try and explain it myself:

"Firearms recoil to the rear violently, and scope internals are designed to withstand it, and resist recoil with it in the same direction, in spades.

Spring piston air-rifles recoil to the rear in the normal direction when the piston flies forward.

Then when the piston hits the end of its travel it stops sharply against the front of the cylinder compressed air column, and jars the gun the other direction, HARDER. Along with a high frequency vibration in all directions from the powerful spring rattling around inside the receiver.

That loads the scope internal parts with unusual forces in directions not produced by any firearm.

And that loads the scope internals the wrong direction from what they were designed to withstand. HARDER!

Leopold is one of the few that says it won't harm their scopes. But still, they design them for recoil going the normal direction. Not going the other way, and sideways at the same time.

Some rifle scopes may take it forever without breaking.
But some won't that would have lived happily forever on a hard kicking Magnum rifle forever.

The thing is, you won't know until you find one that won't."

I know this from experience, having a scope that had spent many years happily on a 22RF fail shortly after install on a Benjamin air rifle.