Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > 3-Position Air Rifle
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2012, 08:15 PM
GSM Master Instructor

Default WARNING - problems with Vogel match pellets

Folks,

I just received 15,000 Vogel Merlin Match pellets for my junior program and they are quarantined because of this:

The "old Vogel" pellets are what we bought last time (we buy 15,000 at a time) and the "new Vogel" are from 2 separate boxes of what we received recently. All are 10 shot groups, fired by the same shooter during the same range session. He alternated between old and new. The rifle is a Daisy 887.

To be fair, my juniors have shot almost 30,000 of these pellets with very good results. I think we just got a bad batch, which happens in any manufacturing process.

Just letting you all know that if you bought these pellets recently, you should probably test fire some to make sure they're ok.

Matt
Old 02-13-2012, 12:21 PM

Hi Matt,

any visual clues as to a difference.

just ordered 7000, not received

Thanks
robert
Old 02-14-2012, 11:16 AM

I would also weigh them on a good reloading scale. Could be variance in weight by a minuscule amount.
Old 02-14-2012, 04:37 PM
GSM Master Instructor

The old Vogels weigh 8.1 - 8.2 grains. The new ones are running 8.0 - 8.1, I had one flyer at 8.2. They are a few thousandths smaller around the head and the base of the skirt, so maybe they are not engaging the rifling as well? They are much more shiny than the old Vogel pellets, which leads me to believe that they may have more alloying elements in with the lead. If they are harder, and a little smaller, they will be harder for the air rifle to "poof out" into the rifling. That's my best guess right now.

Matt
Old 02-15-2012, 08:58 AM
CMP Board Member

We had a sleeve of one of the lots still in inventory and a random test of pellets did not show the same problems. When we get the 'suspect" pellets back, we will test and report.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:22 AM

Orest,
Was wondering what the final determination was on the Vogel match pellet issue.
Thanks,
G-
Old 01-23-2013, 07:29 AM
Forum Webmaster

The above test print was shot with a sporter rifle from a bench, same lot.
No idea why the previous posters pellets were acting the way they did. To me, it looks like a regulator going bad. An anomaly for sure.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:34 AM
GSM Master Instructor

Ghost - I would agree with you that it was the rifle, BUT... Those groups were shot back to back, old, new, old, new. I performed a blind test with my juniors just to see what happened, and a kid that normally shot a 97 or 98 in prone shot down in the low 80's with them.

The CMP sent me pellets from a different lot and I sent the originals back for analysis. CMP south could not duplicate the issue, but the problem did go away with the replacement lot of pellets. I honestly can't explain it. I did send all 15k (ok, 14,900 or so after my testing) back to CMP. Perhaps I just happened to pick the one or two bad boxes? I dunno. I'm going to blame it on the difference in lattitude between northern Ohio and Anniston.

Just FYI - I am no longer coaching the ECCL junior team. My job changed and I had to move from Ohio to Michigan.

Matt
Old 02-11-2013, 06:30 PM

So this looks to be just a 'one-off' incident then? I'm ordering 5K of these from the eStore on Tuesday and thought it wouldn't hurt to check here first to see if there had been any developments since this thread was posted.

Last edited by Kestrel4k; 02-11-2013 at 06:34 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:46 PM
GSM Master Instructor

I'm sure they will be fine. And even if they aren't, the CMP will make it right.