Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > National Match AR
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2018, 08:46 PM

Default New service rifle options

This will probably be the last year for my RRA A4's barrel. It's served me well in learning the game, and it may be time to take my game to the next level. Work schedule is unusually busy for winter, so cost should not be a concern within reason. Currently shooting A2 stock, RRA 20" 1:8 .223 Wylde with optics and the RRA NM trigger. I like the basic setup.

Considering a complete upper from either WOA or Keystone. Wondering if there's anything to gain by changing lower assemblies or any of the parts. Also wondering on the different options offered by both these companies, or some other's I might not be aware of.

If you could put together a medium to high end rifle, what would you build?
Old 01-11-2018, 09:00 PM

Just toss another barrel on your current setup and run with it.
NRA - XTC HP Expert
16 down / 14 to go!
Old 01-12-2018, 03:05 PM

I concur with Canes7.

I started with a RRA NM with a 1:8 Wylde and was very happy with it. Ultimately decided to get a second rifle to use as a spare/practice/match combo. Bought a WOP with Kreiger barrel and pinned 1/4 sights (this was the year right before optics). The WOP did not shoot any better than the Rock River, nor did it make me shoot any better. When the barrel of my original RRA was done, I put a Keystone 1:7 on it. Shoots match bullets fine, but won't shoot 55's (my short line practice stuff) at all.

Long story short: If you want a second rifle upper, then any of the ones you mentioned including RRA are good choices and I don't give any of them a significant nod for accuracy. From there is you preference for handguards, gas blocks, etc.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:43 PM

i use Keystone Accuracy uppers/barrels and they have worked well. I shoot Kriegers and Bartlien but they aren't necessarily a must for accuracy. I just use them as they tend to last longer. the button rifle Green Mountain from Keystone, button rifle Wilsons from White Oak and the Criterion barrels that Compass Lake and a few others sell are all great options. I can't speak for the Rock River as I've never owned one nor anyone I know.

if you have the funds, buy a new upper from any reputable smith and keep your other upper as a backup/ practice upper.

also as far as the lower, the Geissele National Match trigger is hard to beat. I've never had an issue with it making weight at an EIC and it's leaps and bounds better than the few Rock River triggers I've played with. of course that's a personal preference so that's up to you.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:55 PM

...you also asked about changes to the lower. You might consider a trigger upgrade and the rules now permit a bolt release (more important to a right handed shooter). Adjustable butt stocks are also a possibility if your stature is on either end of the bell curve.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:53 PM

Thanks for the info. Keeping the second upper was a plan, as I do some occasional coyote hunting and some informal target shooting. Also good to have some insurance against Murphy, I still have my A2 carry handle, and front sight in place. Planned on setting it up with some more powerful glass for varmints and such.

In doing my research, I've found both cut rifled, button rifled and "ratchet" rifled. Sounds like the cut rifled tends to last longer. Any experience?

Last edited by Polaris; 01-12-2018 at 08:58 PM.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:26 PM

Keystones makes an excellent product, I have been extremely happy with mine
Old 01-13-2018, 11:02 AM

Put another Wilson on it and go for it. Maybe upgrade the trigger since RRA triggers are known for not reliably making weight.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:17 PM

I had my first upper barreled and bought a 2nd new one at the same time. Sighted them both in wrote the zeros on the side with a paint pen.
Used my old one for all the short course and non important matches,practice took the new one to all the important and chAmpionship matches. Same load both guns. Even when I went to an optic I'd swap it back and forth there was no zero loss. 3700 rds. On the barreled upper, 1700 on the new one. Old one is still good for practice and short course work. Worked for me once I decided I was going to be in the game for a while. Expensive buy in but never hAving to mess with loads again was priceless.
Old 02-07-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen Humphrey View Post
...you also asked about changes to the lower. You might consider a trigger upgrade and the rules now permit a bolt release (more important to a right handed shooter). Adjustable butt stocks are also a possibility if your stature is on either end of the bell curve.
Does anyone have any input on the adjustable butt stocks? I'm looking at Gen 1 and Gen 2 Magpul UBR. There are options for weighting the buttstock to balance the rifle and it looks like some people pay a premium for some of the features that the Gen 1 provides. What do you guys find to be the right configuration?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk