Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2015, 06:48 PM

Default Winchester M52 Issues

Good Afternoon All:

I have a C model Winchester M52 with a Unertl scope that I picked up many years ago.

About ten years ago, I took it out of the safe and shot it at the range. I found that the firing pin pierced 1-2 rims on the brass 22 cases, I do not recall what brand I was shooting that day. Gun shot okay, but t did puncture the rim. I looked at the bolt face, and did not see anything that gave rise for concern The firing pin (as far as I could see) looked okay. Put the gun way back in the safe with a mental note to myself to look into this rim piercing situation.

Today, I took it out and put a dummy cartridge in it so it would not dry fire on an empty chamber. I could not get the firing pin to cock. I opened and closed the bolt several times and saw that the firing pin sat back down in the fired position upon each bolt closure.

I am guessing the bolt needs to be disassembled and cleaned as a first step?

Is there any procedural that I can follow; and are there any special tools that I need to work on the bolt?

Is there any parts on the bolt that are high failure items such as the firing pin, springs, etc. that I should consider ordering from Gun Parts Co or Brownell's?

I appreciate your guidance in this matter.

Regards,

Wally
Old 04-18-2015, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyccspd View Post
I have a C model Winchester M52 with a Unertl scope that I picked up many years ago.
About ten years ago, I took it out of the safe and shot it at the range. I found that the firing pin pierced 1-2 rims on the brass 22 cases, I do not recall what brand I was shooting that day. Gun shot okay, but t did puncture the rim. I looked at the bolt face, and did not see anything that gave rise for concern The firing pin (as far as I could see) looked okay. Put the gun way back in the safe with a mental note to myself to look into this rim piercing situation.
Today, I took it out and put a dummy cartridge in it so it would not dry fire on an empty chamber. I could not get the firing pin to cock. I opened and closed the bolt several times and saw that the firing pin sat back down in the fired position upon each bolt closure.

I am guessing the bolt needs to be disassembled and cleaned as a first step?

Is there any procedural that I can follow; and are there any special tools that I need to work on the bolt?

Is there any parts on the bolt that are high failure items such as the firing pin, springs, etc. that I should consider ordering from Gun Parts Co or Brownell's?
First, I suspect the two problems have different causes. I'd start by flushing both the bolt and the trigger with lighter fluid before disassembling.

I'm what you'd call a legend in my own mind.

2071 posts on the old forum - not that I'm counting . . .
Old 04-18-2015, 10:20 PM

I have seen similar problems with trigger assemblies that have been sprayed with WD 40. It is not a lubricant and can dry into a sticky substance.
Old 04-19-2015, 12:45 PM

I second edlmann's advice and agree with Herschel. Use the lighter fluid flush. I would only take the bolt apart as a last resort. Bob
Old 04-19-2015, 04:10 PM

I had the bolt on my 52C lock up tighter than a drum once. That was my fault, in my younger days, and was caused by OVER CLEANING with the wrong solution. Took it to a guy at the club range who, with one tap on the bolt handle, opened it right up. I think you have some dried lube, as Hershel says, locking things up in the internals of the bolt. Flush it real good and blow it out with some compressed air and take it from there. You will be surprised what may come out when you shoot the air into it. Kroil is a great flush agent. Good luck.
Old 04-19-2015, 07:56 PM

I've strip many a Win 52 bolt and will be happy to share some tips. Look for them tomorrow.
Slaves don't dream of being free. They dream of being masters. ~ August Stetten
Old 04-20-2015, 12:52 PM

Here's a couple of photos to help with Win 52 Bolt disassembly.
First thing to do is extend the main spring/cocking piece enough to tap out the main spring pin.
The pin is hidden under the bolt handle.

Once this pin is out the bolt comes apart easily.
I would expect that Winchester had a jig for assembly/disassembly but I modified a retaining ring pliers. Once the cocking piece has been extended, a brass keeper can be inserted into the gap and the pliers job is done.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:15 AM

The bolt in the photos is from a 52B. The 52 & 52A models are similar. I have a Browning repro 52B which has a slightly different bolt body which doesn't permit extending it with pliers. However once extend, the main spring pin is uncovered.
I don't have a 52D but I expect the bolt is the same.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:33 AM

I had a similar problem with a C. The problem was that the trigger was adjusted improperly to obtain a light pull. The C trigger was designed when the NRA rules mandated a minimum pull of 3#. When that rule was rescinded, many tried to adjust the trigger down to the ounce range. That's when the trouble starts. Once I adjusted it properly, the Micro Motion trigger worked as advertised. The minimum pull I was able to obtain with my stock C trigger was about 2.5#.

I have a "sticky" on RFC that shows how to adjust a C trigger, if you need it. Post #39

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...ustment&page=3
Old 04-21-2015, 11:46 AM

+1 Dollar Bill. My 52s and my H&R M12s are the same way. Too light a trigger pull weight and/or too little sear engagement will make the rifle unreliable.