Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2015, 05:20 PM

I appreciate all of the info guys.

I will get cracking on this and see what turns up.

Regards,

Wally
Old 05-03-2015, 05:23 PM

Verified. I had the same problem with my 52C trigger in my younger and unknowing days. Bring things with the trigger back to normal and you should be fine. Micro Motion is a fine trigger within it's limits.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:59 AM

When the 40x's were sold by CMP I punched the bore and chamber, toothbrush cleaned like normal and went to the range.

Set up the targets, set up the bench equipment, laid the rifle in, loaded up and pulled the trigger. Nothing, the bolt's striker just sat there without a care in the world. I played with it a little and got a very gummy slowed retarded drop that wouldn't fire a cartridge.

I'd clean it!

I think my second 40x was a gummy trigger instead. You could cock the bolt and close it but the trigger sear wouldn't pop up to hold the striker so it would not stay cocked.

These old guns need the maintenance for enjoyment and SAFETY.
Old 04-17-2016, 01:38 PM

Hi All:

I found out from a real reliable rim fire gunsmith that the rifle has real troubles. A headspace issue that actually blows the case in FRONT of the rim. The firing pin and bolt are fine. Flushing it out with lighter fluid solved the problem. He has seen this before on a Winchester M52, and knows what to do. The barrel needs to be set back and a new chamber cut/headspace set. But when I get the rifle back from him it will be good to go.

Guessing this rifle went from Winchester to the Military. They saw the problem and likely red-tagged the rifle. It went to the DCM where it was sold. Sat in some guys safe until he sold it to me; then in my safe for 20 more years. Like I told the gunsmith Gene on the email, an interesting problem, indeed!

I also cleaned up a few of my other rifles with the lighter fluid and they turned out great. Wall-Mart had plenty to sell me.

Regards,

Wally
Old 04-17-2016, 01:55 PM

That's great news. Thanks for following up.

As an aside, those triggers just need to be kept clean with an occasional drop of lighter fluid which does act as a lubricant until it evaporates. It slicks up the trigger just a touch, enough to last a one day match.
Old 04-21-2016, 11:58 AM

Before attempting to adjust a 40x or 52 trigger, recommend a liberal flush with lighter fluid. I actually completely dismantled the 40x trigger for initial cleaning since it appeared straight forward. Plenty of gunk observed in the mechanism.

Before cleaning it would not adjust below about 3.5#. Now I have it a near perfect 1#, no problems. Passes the hard bump test (mallet on receiver, heel on ground...).

The 52 I didn't want to take apart. Saw plenty of stuff come out with the fluid. Let it drain on a white paper towel and you will see the color/pieces of junk that come out. It's a 52C and that one is now a beautiful 12oz. This is NOT the micro motion D trigger (micro motion C).
Old 04-21-2016, 11:01 PM

Thanks for the info Mr. Submerge. Thanks to Wal-Mart I am stocked up on lighter fluid and will clean judiciously and accordingly. The M52 is still with the gunsmith as it has a serious headspace problem. I have other rifles here that need cleaning and like attention.

Wally
Old 04-22-2016, 06:45 AM

The other thing I did on the 40 was replace the trigger weight spring with a lighter one. This helped get down from 2 to 1 pound range after cleaning. I used a spring from a tire air valve. Be careful not to lose the little ball under the spring. Google for diagrams or send email and I can send what I have.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:07 PM

I thought the CMP was supposed to check headspace on the complete rifles they sold... I know they said the mismatchd bolts in some were no problem...They were tested.

All the pictures are gone Photobucket ate them... I wanted to see how you stripped a 52 bolt...

Last edited by nozero; 10-18-2017 at 10:10 PM.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:24 PM

Due to multiple reports of rifles being received with out of spec headspace, and of bores being completely clogged with cosmoline, I think the rumors of the CMP checking headspace and test firing rifles is a huge crock. My opinion ....