Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2017, 10:57 PM

Default M-44 Mossburg how to tell which model I have?

Hi Fellow posters,

I stumbled into a very nice original M-44. The Serial # is 1430xx US Property marked. Would like to know when it was made & which version I have.

Looks like a rather dry walnut stock with sling swivels. It has the original front site & a S 100 Mossburg rear sight.

Damm Guy's site appears to be down.

I can't figure out if I have a M 44 or a A,B or C model. The rifle is marked
M 44, but I saw that the rear sight changed from time to time. Does that change the model to a A,B or C?

Thanks for any help,
broom
Old 11-16-2017, 09:29 AM

There were some very early models with the Lyman 57MS sight, serial numbers escape me at the moment! Maybe the first 10K! There were a few M44 US(a)'s these were drilled with the standard Mossberg scope mounting holes! (Have a couple of those) Beyond the early ones with the Lyman sight all had S100 sights! There are some thoughts that the front sight had a hood, but I have not been able to confirm! There were no military b, c or d's !! All stocks were either Beech or Birch!!
The Damguy web site is dead!! If you go to RFC and the Mossberg thread, top of page you will see a sticky the has captured some of the Damguy info!!
Appears yours was made in 1944!

Last edited by slickshot223; 11-16-2017 at 09:54 AM.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:42 AM

Hi slickshot 223,

This one has the two holes for the side mount Mossburg scope sight mount!
Is this a fairly early rifle? For the sake of argument a second run?

Do you know what they start the Serial # range at?

I have some items from Havlin coming in today.... I might order a scope mount, spare firing pin & spring for the next owner.

I'll head over to RFC & see what I can find.

BIG THANKS for the reply,
broom
Old 11-16-2017, 10:00 AM

If it is not marked M-44 US(a) on the barrel, along with US property it is not the original barrel !! If not it may have been D&T at some later time! How are the swivels attached??

Last edited by slickshot223; 11-16-2017 at 03:48 PM.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:44 AM

Hi slickshot223,

It marked US govt property in two places - the barrel & the receiver along with the serial # on the receiver.
The screws for the scope mount look like they were not touched since it was new. Looking inside the action the tapped holes are blued like the rifle-looks original too....I have not tried to remove them.
No cheek piece on this rifle.The stock looks like walnut, not plain birch as many stocks seem to be.!The birch stock on one of my Garand's is bland & seems to be softer wood.
The sling swivels are installed with Phillips head screws. That seemed odd to me, I figures a WW-2 rifle would have slotted screws.
Also noted that the Safe & FIRE holes had some wood shavings no clue if the plastic inserts were ever installed!

The marking is 44US on the barrel over US Property.... NO (a) stamped marking

Found a stamp marking 2 on the pistol grip stock & a 2 scratched into the inside of the plastic trigger-guard.
Hope this gives you a better idea of the rifle.

Any input is welcome!
broom

Last edited by broomhandle; 11-16-2017 at 11:18 AM. Reason: up date info.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:11 PM

In the roughly 140K to 145K serial number range ( started a little before SN 140K) Mossberg used whatever receivers they had on hand - in some cases they used ones that were destined to become 44US(a) models. Some were, some were not stamped with the (a). I have a couple examples that were not stamped with it. The CMP auction, a little while ago, showed a DT with a slightly lower than 140K SN. Everything I've read promote this DT theory. A search back in time here and on the Mossberg Forum over on the Rimfirecentral forum show more on the subject. I don't think the Mossberg boys intended to goof with us 75 years later, but it sure ended up that way. Manufacturers could learn from this and make life really confusing for guys in 2090 a.D.

( 'Long as I'm here...) re: the stocks on these guys: there's a good chance that you don't have the stock original to the rifle. When working on them the armorers tended to throw ( gently place?) the stocks in one pile and the other stuff in another. It was catch-as-catch-can when reassembling. You can tell the real early (Lyman sight) stocks from later new by the wood cut out to fit the whichever sight. Either way, you more than likely have a nice shooting rifle. I enjoy taking mine to the range and get smaller groups with the scoped model for the obvious reason.

Looks like the first 14,500 had the Lyman sight as that was the first batch, according to the David Horvath website way back when, BTW.

Last edited by Big_Red; 11-17-2017 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Use the edit function (merged consecutive posts)
Old 11-16-2017, 01:03 PM

Many of these rifles were put together with barreled actions or barrels from the CMP and other parts from Numrich Arms and other suppliers. I have put some together myself. I have used a 44US barrel on a 144 that had a corroded barrel. Lots of these mixmaster rifles out there. Bob

Old 11-16-2017, 01:53 PM

Default Link to M44 Production dates

http://home.epix.net/~damguy/44usnumbers.htm
Old 11-16-2017, 02:46 PM

LG: the link is weird on my Apple
Old 11-16-2017, 04:04 PM

Agree with Bob, I also have seen some of the mixes, I have a US barrel that had a bad 1 1/2" at the muzzle, had it shortened, am hunting an action for it to finish for one of the grandkids!! Have all the other parts!!