Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP South Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2017, 12:16 PM

Default CMP South Store - Worth the Drive From WI

Hi,

About 5 years ago I made a couple trips to the South Store when I was stationed at Eglin AFB, FL. I bought a few Garands and was able to mail order an IHC since. It was truly incredible to be able to pick out your rifle.

I had been following reports until it seemed as if they got very behind on mail orders during the panic. Now it seems as if there is a decent stock again.

I would really like to get a WRA as that is the one I am missing in my collection. I would also live an IHC too.

Is it worth the 12+ hour drive and a hotel room right now?

I also can't seem to find the prices of the in store Garands (IHC and WRA) as I can only see what is available via mail order.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Old 12-10-2017, 12:19 PM

Personally, for that distance, I would say no. You could buy one on GunBroker for less than the travel expenses plus the cost of a rifle at the CMP. But that is merely my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 12-10-2017, 12:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveguns View Post
I also can't seem to find the prices of the in store Garands (IHC and WRA) as I can only see what is available via mail order.

Thanks!
IHC Service Grade....$1060+Tax
WRA Service Grade...$930+Tax

http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=74
Old 12-10-2017, 12:39 PM

Back when the "old" South Store was still up and running with 500 rifles dressing the racks, I would say yes, it would have been worth the trip. You could spend the entire day there 'til your arm gets tired lifting the rifles out of the racks. Today not so IMO, the quantity and selection are a shadow of what they used to be. Back in the day I would travel down there (500 miles R/T for me) 6 or 8 times a year, these days maybe once a year if I'm very bored and the store reports sound good.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:32 PM

Have you looked into the North Store in Ohio?
Old 12-10-2017, 02:12 PM

I guarantee, if you were to put up a specific request for an M1 that you are looking for, a person will have considered that very same rifle to sell. You'll be way financially ahead, and will have made a personal connection in the greater M1 collecting community.

I know Im not alone when I say interests do change dramatically, and people are always buying and selling.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:57 PM

Going to the store and picking your rifle is an awesome experience!! But that’s a lot of travel and expense for an uncertain outcome!!
Old 12-10-2017, 03:30 PM

We are thinking of making the trip next summer, But I know I wouldn't make a trip just for that. It is about six and a half hours from here to the NS, and even though they only seem to get scraps anymore it is not worth double the drive time to me.
Old 12-10-2017, 06:28 PM

If you can tie it in with a vacation or buisness trip it's work a few hour detour, but I wouldn't drive that far for a rifle search alone. I made the 7 hour trip to the South store in september. I scored a real nice IHC. It was my first trip and my first Garand. I'm glad I went, but considering the 10% sales tax, my next one will be mail order.
CMP customer since 2017
Old 12-10-2017, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveguns View Post
Hi,

Thanks!
Occasionally PH68 will list the in-store prices and respond to pricing questions in his South Store reports. If you read back a few months worth of his reports you'll probably find all the answers to your pricing questions.