Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP South Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2017, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PH68 View Post
There has been some confusion about my post about availability of bayonets. BAYONETS are available at the store. The bayonet display at store is to show customers what type bayonets are available. If a customer wants a bayonet then advise the store staff and they will get you one from their storage area.
If you can't choose one out of a dozen or so, you may as well mail order one and save the 10% tax at the store. Unless they are in such bad shape you might reject it when they bring it out?
Old 12-16-2017, 09:08 AM

Default Saturday opening report

There were 15 plus customers at opening and the racks were full. Had a chance to visit with customers before opening, itís always nice to meet new folks at the store. At 8:30 the store had sold 15 rifles, primarily WRAís and were still busy.

Strong number of WRA SG,FG and RG were present. There were several with WRA barrels. Didnít see any WRA cartouches.

IHC SG, 12, many with LMR correct dated barrels, no IHC stocks.

SA 6 million, 11

Rob30.06 picked up that beautiful SA 5.79xxxx Collector grade that I have mentioned in prior post. There are currently 2 SA and a HRA Collector grade which all appear to be unissued NOS rifles.... Rob was deep into the crowd and Iím sure he will provide some detail reporting on what was found in the racks this morning by fellow customers. I always look forward to his store visit report.

Good luck on your searches.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:25 AM

Thanks again for the reports and congrats Rob30.06.

Any ideas where this current batch of WRA's may have come from?

Bob
Old 12-16-2017, 09:30 AM

Sounds like Christmas time for Garand collectors at the SS.
Thanks again PH.
Old 12-16-2017, 09:35 AM

Default Wra

Quote:
Originally Posted by spalding View Post
Thanks again for the reports and congrats Rob30.06.

Any ideas where this current batch of WRA's may have come from?

Bob
Only a guess but there are some Turk and Danish marked stocks in the mix, so that would be my guess for the source of returns...
Old 12-16-2017, 02:40 PM

Default Saturday closing report/possible new year stock

There were were 60 rifles remaining at closing and the racks were refilled three times during the day. Remaining stock at closing.

WRA FG/RG, 9

IHC SG 11

SA six million, 12

Three really nice Collector Grades as unissued, NOS.
SA 5417xxx & 5832xxx/HRA 5651xxx

There is a rumor that I have heard that on the 4th of Jan there ďMAYĒ be the following available:

M1Dís w/USGI scope/mount/cheek pad, 2400ish

M1A1 carbines, USGI metal and foreign country wood, 2500ish.

Chrome M1ís

1903 drill rifles

1903a3ís

This isnít confirmed, just a rumor at this time.

We can also all start again on our 8 rifle a year limit!!!

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all.

Good luck on your searches.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:50 AM

Default What all the Hoopla is about

Guys,
I had a very pleasant visit to the South Store yesterday. Got to spend a little time with Tom and a couple other Forum Members, which is always great.
Had an opportunity to wish Mike and others of the store staff a Merry Christmas and I wish the same to all of you.
A couple of my buddies went with me hoping to pick up a nice Winchester Service Grade or maybe a Field Grade. It seems there were plenty of them in the store.
I went for only one item, the 5.79 SA Collector Grade. The rifle was still in the rack but Tom had to point it out to me since things were very hectic. I thank him for that. It found its way to the counter pretty quickly, so it was finally going to be safe.
I did see a Win13 Rack Grade with an ME of 2 that peaked my interest. TE was pretty high, though. Another customer got that one and I congratulate him on a smart pick. At least in my opinion it was a good pick. He indicated he would post the serial number to the WRA/SA Serial Number thread for which I thank him.
Many very nice Winchesters and at least one very nice 6 mil SA were purchased but my buddies ended up leaving empty-handed though they help a few other customers find some nice ones.
I picked up some slings for a couple friends. Not a great selection but hopefully some will have MRT markings.

On a whim we called the Range Store and discovered that they had some SA Service Grades as well as other Winchesters so we drove over there.
Paul picked up a 3.7 mil SA that was close to being correct, including the fairly decent NFR stock. A good pickup and it made his day.
Long drive back home interrupted only by a stop at Dad's BBQ for ribs

The Hoopla, otherwise known as the SA 5.79 Collector Grade:
I was interested in this rifle for two reasons.
First is because of the relative scarcity of the Serial Number range with what I understand to be around 6,152 of them.
The second was that it was reported to be in bone-dry condition, which I want to believe means that it has been in the possession of the DOD for all the time since it was made and eventually shipped to the CMP.
I have had a couple real nice examples and still have a real nice Service Grade, but a near mint example is something I would not mind having.
What I found was a painfully dry SA in excellent condition. If this rifle was actually issued it is obvious it was never used. I wish I knew the actual history behind it.
There is very slight wear on the top of the left bolt lug which I believe is from racking the op-rod by staff and customers and that is about it.
I have taken a few photos of it here so you guys can judge for yourselves. $2,200 is not chump-change but, in this case, I think my money is well-spent.
I broke it down a little bit here for the pictures, but that will likely be the last time that it is manipulated with while in my possession.

Of other interest, the receiver heel displays the circular staining that tends to show up on these.

Just a note to tell you that the other Collector Grades in the rack also looked to be in the same very dry state.
My thanks to those that looked at this rifle and yet left it for me to acquire. I am in your debt.

Rob

Last edited by rob30-06; 12-17-2017 at 10:49 AM.
Old 12-17-2017, 10:46 AM

Congrats Rob, she's a beaut. I bet the drive home was great knowing it was safely in your possession.
How did the WRAs look? I've got a service grade on order.

Bob
Old 12-17-2017, 11:03 AM

She's a peach Rob, congrats!
Old 12-17-2017, 11:49 AM

If these dry-as-a-bone Collector Grades are available next year I may have to make the trip down there.