X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Password is Taco
    • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Jack Hammer
    I realize this thread is a little old but I wanted to comment on the bolt stop pin. I have only built a couple but I found it easier to chuck the pin in a drill and reduce the od by a few thou with a file. The last 3/16 or so was untouched as it was in the drill chuck. Much easier to assemble and less chance of damaging the receiver.
    Great tip, will definitely use this for the next one!

Comment

• Jakeroub
      • Dec 2016

Probably a dumb question here... I bought one of these Dupage parts kits, and am looking at the Bula Black Friday sale offerings. My question is- will an NM barrel fit in these stocks/ handguards without modification? If not, how much modification would be required?

Thanks!

Comment

• Shomway
        • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Jakeroub View Post
        Probably a dumb question here... I bought one of these Dupage parts kits, and am looking at the Bula Black Friday sale offerings. My question is- will an NM barrel fit in these stocks/ handguards without modification? If not, how much modification would be required?

Thanks!
        The medium weight NM barrel will fit in a USGI stock as is. Mine has fit into both a birch and walnut USGI stock.
        From Jeff at Bula.....
        Originally posted by Jeff42899
        Medium weight barrels will fit in USGI stocks without any modifications.
        31- 100% ITrader feedback prior to removal.
        Feedback....http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=209950

Comment

• Password is Taco
          • Mar 2013

Where are the Bula Black Friday offers listed?

Comment

• nf1e
            • Apr 2012

Looking good. I can see another 3 on the horizon to go with my Dupage kits.
            Thanks again Bula. Now to decide which receivers to use. Decisions, decisions.
            Semper Fi
            Art
            Sgt USMC 66 -72
            RVN 67-68

Comment

• YahooMarine
              • Oct 2009

Good morning Art.

This morning I finished putting together my Dupage kit on an Fulton barreled receiver. Most parts are Winchester including op rod, trigger group and bolt. Nice used but not abused birch stock.

One issue... the castle nut on the FH does not time properly. The FH bottoms out flush to the muzzle but the nut does not line up for the set screw unless I back it off about 1/16th of a turn. That leave a tiny bit of play in the FH.

Suggestions? Shims?

Thanks, Rich
              Licensed Professional Engineer, Physics Teacher, Marine Corps Martial Arts Blackbelt and Subject Matter Expert

Comment

• ZvenoMan
                • May 2011

Originally posted by Password is Taco View Post
                Where are the Bula Black Friday offers listed?
                They are hidden near the top of Bula's home page.
                https://www.buladefense.com/

jh
                Zvenoman

Comment

• nf1e
                  • Apr 2012

Originally posted by YahooMarine View Post
                  Good morning Art.

This morning I finished putting together my Dupage kit on an Fulton barreled receiver. Most parts are Winchester including op rod, trigger group and bolt. Nice used but not abused birch stock.

One issue... the castle nut on the FH does not time properly. The FH bottoms out flush to the muzzle but the nut does not line up for the set screw unless I back it off about 1/16th of a turn. That leave a tiny bit of play in the FH.

Suggestions? Shims?

Thanks, Rich
                  Just back off the castle nut to the first spot the lock screw will settle in.
                  Semper Fi
                  Art
                  Sgt USMC 66 -72
                  RVN 67-68

Comment

• DougS
                    • Oct 2009

Originally posted by nf1e View Post
                    Just back off the castle nut to the first spot the lock screw will settle in.
                    Or run the back end of the castle nut over some emery cloth or wet&dry sandpaper to reduce the back edge enough to get to the next notch. Not sure how much you would need to remove or whether it will impact the case hardening of the nut too much. Considering the number of notches I don't believe it would take very much to index the next notch.

Comment

• nf1e
                      • Apr 2012

Not that critical a device. Just there to make sure the suppressor doesn't fall off.
                      Semper Fi
                      Art
                      Sgt USMC 66 -72
                      RVN 67-68

Comment

• DougS
                        • Oct 2009

Originally posted by nf1e View Post
                        Not that critical a device. Just there to make sure the suppressor doesn't fall off.
                        Art, I agree about "critical", however if the nut is not sufficiently tight as stated by the person posing the question, the flash hider has some play. And since the front sight is mounted on the flash hider, the front sight then would show that play to a greater amount because of its height above the bore line. Significant -maybe not. But why allow it if it can be rectified with little effort?

Comment

• Kansasbobcat
                          • Apr 2016

Years ago I was assembling an M14 with SAI receiver and parts kit from Israel. Thought I had the castle nut tight but after a few rounds the zero shifted much lower. There were bullet strikes inside the top of the flash hider. This was before I got a flash hider alignment gauge. The castle nut does need to be tight.

Comment

• nf1e
                            • Apr 2012

If a castle nut wrench is available, it should be able to tighten to the next spot. Haven't ever run into one that couldn't snug up. Even if it's necessary to move the nut back and forth a couple of times, it should be able to seat snugged.
                            Even if it needs to be backed off one tooth, there should be no wobble.
                            Semper Fi
                            Art
                            Sgt USMC 66 -72
                            RVN 67-68

Comment

• YahooMarine
                              • Oct 2009

Thanks for the good inputs. Fortunately I remembered I had another FH purchased years ago and forgotten about. With it the castle nut times perfectly.

I have a USGI nut wrench and could probably crank the first FH a tick more but that is now unnecessary and I am somewhat concerned about damaging the threads on the barrel.

Next time I am out parts shopping I will pick up another nut and see how it times. If not better than what I have I can do the wet/dry sandpaper on a flat surface and see what happens.

It seems to me that someone once mentioned using a #2 pencil as an alignment checker. Anyone aware of that?

Rich
                              Licensed Professional Engineer, Physics Teacher, Marine Corps Martial Arts Blackbelt and Subject Matter Expert

Comment

• nf1e
                                • Apr 2012

Pencil will work if you don't have an alignment tool handy. Just look for equal clearance on all sides.
                                Semper Fi
                                Art
                                Sgt USMC 66 -72
                                RVN 67-68

Comment

Working...
                                X