Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Smallbore
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2020, 06:30 PM

Default 40X Smallbore Story

My wife competes in outdoor smallbore prone. She uses a US Property marked 40X with standard weight barrel I bought on Gunbroker.

Other than a few minor stock dings the rifle looked near new. It was odd that there was a different s/n on the bolt scratched out and the actual s/n engraved in - the bolt had been swapped.

Found out why - the rifle had a 20% failure to extract. When the bolt swap failed to fix the problem the rifle became a safe queen and stayed in the armory until DCM/CMP sold it. That is why it is near new condition.

I cleaned and lubed everything and had new extractors installed but no joy. Took the rifle to Dave Sullivan of Westwind Rifles. He found the extractor slots in the breech were cut wrong and he opened them up and polished the extractors. That fixed the FTE problem.

Had it glass bedded and an adjustable buttplate installed. She uses a 24X Redfield 3200 scope. and Lapua Center-X or Midas ammo.

Her shoulder gave out so she switched from sling to F-TR Class with a bipod and rear bag. These are outdoor matches fired prone at 50 and 100 yards. The X-ring on the 50 yard target 0.16" and the 10-ring is 0.36". She routinely shoots 50 yard groups that look like a .30 cal bullet hole. She shoots a lot of 200 numeric scores with X-counts up to 19.

At the Firecracker 4800 last season her first two targets were both 200s with high x-count. Ron Wigger (former rifle coach at the USMA) had admired the targets in the stat office and someone told him she was shooting a US Property 40x with the factory barrel. He could not believe and he came to the line to see for himself.

After he saw it was true Ron told Mary: "It would be great if someone took that rifle to the World Cup and kicked some butt with it."
“After all is said and done, successful rifle shooting on the range is nothing more than first finding a rifle and lot of ammunition which will do precisely the same thing shot after shot, and then developing the same skill in the rifleman.” ~ Capt. E. C. Crossman (Book of the Springfield)
Old 03-08-2020, 07:06 PM

Great.
Old 03-08-2020, 07:26 PM

Thanks

I get a kick out of because there are a lot of high dollar rifles on the line at that match.

I think my wife and I are the only people who compete with a stock 40X out in this part of the country.
“After all is said and done, successful rifle shooting on the range is nothing more than first finding a rifle and lot of ammunition which will do precisely the same thing shot after shot, and then developing the same skill in the rifleman.” ~ Capt. E. C. Crossman (Book of the Springfield)
Old 03-09-2020, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMC_EXP View Post
Thanks

I get a kick out of because there are a lot of high dollar rifles on the line at that match.

I think my wife and I are the only people who compete with a stock 40X out in this part of the country.
What do folks tend to shoot at local smallbore matches?

I've never been a smallbore shooter, but have kicked the idea around of trying it. I'm not a gear oriented guy, and most smallbore videos I see out there look way more gear/modern than I'm interested in.

I'd like to show up with my old Model 37 and do some shooting. Would I be looked at like a space alien?
Old 03-09-2020, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ0608 View Post
What do folks tend to shoot at local smallbore matches?

I've never been a smallbore shooter, but have kicked the idea around of trying it. I'm not a gear oriented guy, and most smallbore videos I see out there look way more gear/modern than I'm interested in.

I'd like to show up with my old Model 37 and do some shooting. Would I be looked at like a space alien?
With a Model 37 you are not undergunned no matter where you go. I have one and I still shoot at matches sometimes. I'm pretty sure my Model 37 outshoots my 40X but maybe not my wifes 40X.

At local club matches you see every kind of .22 including some newer stuff. Go to a state or regional championship and you'll probably see more of the high end rifles.

I started with the Model 37. My wife started with a Marlin 2000 and could clean 100 targets with that.

For conventional outdoor smallbore prone If you have a decent target rifle (The Mod 37 is way more than decent) even vintage stuff like the 513T Remington or Winchester Model 75T you can shoot good scores.

Advice:

Bear in mind for .22 LR ammunition quality is extremely important. You have to shoot decent quality target grade ammo. The target ammo is all standard (not high) velocity.

If you shoot plinker grade stuff you will get discouraged very fast. We started off with Wolf Target, then went to SKJagd, then to Lapua Center-X for me and Midas for Mary. As we went up the price scale we saw fewer fliers and smaller groups. We order our ammo from Champions Choice. Check their site for prices. The very high end .22 target is like gold.

Treat yourself to a few boxes of decent target ammo - you will be amazed at the difference it makes on paper.

Something I learned the hard way: A cold barrel - clean or dirty shoots to a different POI than a warm barrel. After a break to change targets I put 5 rounds into the berm to warm it up before I shoot my 1st sighter. Mary shoots more warm-ups because of how small her F-class target is.

A clean barrel may not shoot to the same POI as a dirty one.

Another big thing is follow thru. Those standard velocity bullets are in the barrel for a long time.

The wind really pushes the .22 around. For practice make yourself some wind flags - some kind of rod to stick in the ground with 12" strips of surveyor tape will do. Check the flags before you shoot and right after to if anything changed.

Get out there with that 37 and some decent ammo and have fun. After shooting Highpower we got addicted to smallbore prone.
Old 03-10-2020, 03:06 PM

Thank you very much for that response. There's a lot of encouraging information there.

I have a 50 yard range in my backyard and like to take this rifle out and shoot small groups every so often by myself. Its an amazing rifle. Being mostly a highpower shooter though, I've never really have gotten the bug though to actually try competing with it.

I think I'll get it to the range this spring.

Thanks again.
Old 03-10-2020, 03:56 PM

I did not shoot smallbore until my highpower career was essentially over.

After I shot it for a while I regretted not starting smallbore sooner. Reason being in SB it is much easier to detect errors in all aspects of shot execution such as your position, follow thru...etc. This due to the lack of recoil which for me at least with a .30 cal can mask clues of what was done wrong if a shot went bad.

Have fun.
Old 03-10-2020, 04:03 PM

There's another smallbore thing different from highpower.

It's called to 10 o'clock - 4 o'clock rule. A wind from the right will drift the bullet towards 10 o'clock. A left wind will drift it towards 4 o'clock.

The ratio is for every 3 to 4 clicks windage needed you will need 1 click elevation.

This might be hard to see with light wind at 50 yd. At 100 yd a full value 10 mph wind and you will see the 10 - 4 thing on paper

The slow, blunt .22 rimfire bullets behave differently than fast pointed bullets.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:40 AM

excellent story and info, thank you so much for sharing.

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster, and if you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Tags
40x, f class