Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Garand
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2020, 05:45 PM

Hard time seeing it as a collector grade. Total of parts would be over $1k
Old 03-24-2020, 06:00 PM

The safety is broken. The receiver and front sight post seem to have a good bit matching finish left....it's just surface rust maybe or some other liquid got on it and stained it? The stock has some dings and gouges, it's not perfect. Looks like it was poorly stored to me. I recently sold a rifle for a friend with the same characteristics, excellent on the receiver and trigger group but the front end was a mess.
Old 03-24-2020, 07:22 PM

I don't like the over-all contour of the stock. Winchesters are much more pronounced around the trigger group (almost like a pregnant guppy...lol) and more importantly notice no V-cut notch where the trigger group locks up...(maybe you just cant see it with the trigger group in? Don't have a rifle to look at with me right now...)
https://imgur.com/a/CXm6ItG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltgrabber View Post
Why Kenny? Tell us what you are using to make that determination. Here is a real one & they look pretty close to me.

Last edited by Phrogpilot; 03-24-2020 at 07:38 PM.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:35 PM

That GHD and cannons are 100% real. Rick B
Old 03-25-2020, 08:53 PM

Rick,

You are the pro no argument. But doesn’t the cannons have the outside of them slightly shifted to the right or is this an optical illusion?

My feedback thread
Old 03-25-2020, 09:09 PM

Winchesters GHD cannons are goofy looking and very shifted as you see. They changed so as to not look like SA. Many of their changes were for this reason. Rick B
Old 03-25-2020, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpl w View Post
The safety is broken. The receiver and front sight post seem to have a good bit matching finish left....it's just surface rust maybe or some other liquid got on it and stained it? The stock has some dings and gouges, it's not perfect. Looks like it was poorly stored to me. I recently sold a rifle for a friend with the same characteristics, excellent on the receiver and trigger group but the front end was a mess.
Correct me if I'm wrong but there was an era when CMP sold "Collector Grade" rifles, when that designation only meant that the parts were correct to the maker and serial number, but not that the parts were necessarily all in pristine condition.

This rifle's CMP certificate looks like it comes from that era and the rifle then would fit that "definition".
Old 03-25-2020, 09:57 PM

That's the way I thought it always was. A Collector Grade was a rifle with all it's original components....a rifle can only be original once. I have one I bought in 2003 and it's not perfect. I have some Correct Grades that are nicer looking but not original.
Old 03-26-2020, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnhusker View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but there was an era when CMP sold "Collector Grade" rifles, when that designation only meant that the parts were correct to the maker and serial number, but not that the parts were necessarily all in pristine condition.

This rifle's CMP certificate looks like it comes from that era and the rifle then would fit that "definition".
what about the SA op rod catch?
Old 03-26-2020, 06:09 AM

Oh, I don’t mean that this is a “Collector Grade” as I have not looked at the pictures to know, only that non pristine parts would not be a disqualification.

The other issue in play is I am new enough to the game to not know whether the CMP certificate would have said Collector Grade” as the use of grading names on certificates has been a hit or miss thing during my few years of Garand buying from CMP.

Perhaps more senior and learned members can fill this knowledge gap.

All the best.

John