Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2020, 08:21 PM

Default Match fees!

The match fees are a little outrageous. I was thinking about shooting at camp Perry on the 5th of April. They are holding a 100 yard GSVM match on e targets. The fee is $40! That's ridiculous. You don't even get a tee shirt or shoot full distance. I would have liked to made an entire day out of it. Shoot my garand and 1903. But $80 to shoot 60 rounds is very discouraging to say the least. This will be a huge discouragement to new shooters.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:19 AM

Hmmmm... ppl don’t work for free. This includes CMP staff, the patrol boat and range control (.mil) at the minimum. I doubt CMP is even breaking even on the deal. Nice to have an organization that is willing to lose money to provide you a nice safe venue to shoot at (which is covered and on concrete with electronic targets). Going to the movies with a tub of popcorn and a pop will cost you almost as much.
Distinguished Rifleman #2297
Old 02-11-2020, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootsy View Post
Hmmmm... ppl donít work for free. This includes CMP staff, the patrol boat and range control (.mil) at the minimum. I doubt CMP is even breaking even on the deal. Nice to have an organization that is willing to lose money to provide you a nice safe venue to shoot at (which is covered and on concrete with electronic targets). Going to the movies with a tub of popcorn and a pop will cost you almost as much.
I understand they don't work for free. But no range control or boats are needed on the 100 yard range at Perry. I understand the cost for the national match, but a weekend 100 yard match on e targets, that's a bit steep in my opinion. Roosty is right, the covered heated building is nice and the CMP puts on good events. But $40 for 30 shots could be very distracting to someone who is on the fence about competition.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebes405 View Post
The match fees are a little outrageous. I was thinking about shooting at camp Perry on the 5th of April. They are holding a 100 yard GSVM match on e targets. The fee is $40! That's ridiculous. You don't even get a tee shirt or shoot full distance. I would have liked to made an entire day out of it. Shoot my garand and 1903. But $80 to shoot 60 rounds is very discouraging to say the least. This will be a huge discouragement to new shooters.

The Games matches have been very expensive - for what they are - for a long time now. Including "Travel Games". Doesn't seem to affect attendance much, so I really wouldn't expect it to go down.

Last edited by missilegeek; 02-11-2020 at 10:21 AM.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:26 PM

I would not pay $40 to shoot a 100yd GSVMM Match.

Most clubs charge less than that for a 500 agg Leg Match.
Of the 3 clubs near me, the price of a leg match is a low of $25 and high of $30.
Old 02-12-2020, 04:47 PM

Quote:
I understand they don't work for free. But no range control or boats are needed on the 100 yard range at Perry. I understand the cost for the national match, but a weekend 100 yard match on e targets, that's a bit steep in my opinion. Roosty is right, the covered heated building is nice and the CMP puts on good events. But $40 for 30 shots could be very distracting to someone who is on the fence about competition.
FWIW:
Camp Perry is still a military range run by the Ohio NG.
NO military range would EVER be run without range control present and operating.
In the case of Camp Perry that means also the safety fan (downrange) wouldn't change and so boats in the water would be an issue.

Here, our matches run 25-30.00.... so yes 40.00 is higher than most, but not outrageous to me.
Old 02-12-2020, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gewehr43 View Post
FWIW:
Camp Perry is still a military range run by the Ohio NG.
NO military range would EVER be run without range control present and operating.
In the case of Camp Perry that means also the safety fan (downrange) wouldn't change and so boats in the water would be an issue.

Here, our matches run 25-30.00.... so yes 40.00 is higher than most, but not outrageous to me.
Well there you go. The labor is already paid for by uncle Sam. I still highly doubt they will have boats for a match on the 100 yard range which had an earth back stop. I could be wrong but that still makes $40 a very expensive match.
The EIC match they put on is only $35 and that would require boats and more range operations than a 100 yard
match at a fixed position.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:24 PM

Well the obvious conclusion is if it is too expensive, don't buy it.

Mike
Old 02-12-2020, 09:33 PM

Rootsy and Gewehr43 are correct. Camp Perry is not a club which is run by non-paid volunteers. There are significant expenses associated with running matches on any military installation. The required range ops personnel are often OHNG personnel and are paid based on the number of drills they attend. If they are present for a match, they get paid. If they are civilian personnel, they are paid overtime if they are working beyond their normal 40 hrs. per week.

I personally enjoy shooting at Camp Perry. I wish I had more opportunities to shoot there. Match fees are the least of my concerns.
Old 02-13-2020, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Well there you go. The labor is already paid for by uncle Sam. I still highly doubt they will have boats for a match on the 100 yard range which had an earth back stop. I could be wrong but that still makes $40 a very expensive match.
The EIC match they put on is only $35 and that would require boats and more range operations than a 100 yard
match at a fixed position.
Ok, well if you feel the match is poorly run or too expensive, don't go.
I'm sure there are other matches in your area you could attend.