Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Competitions > Garand, Springfield, Military Rifle and Rimfire Matches
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-10-2020, 08:21 PM
hebes405 hebes405 is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Ohio
Posts: 560
Default Match fees!

The match fees are a little outrageous. I was thinking about shooting at camp Perry on the 5th of April. They are holding a 100 yard GSVM match on e targets. The fee is $40! That's ridiculous. You don't even get a tee shirt or shoot full distance. I would have liked to made an entire day out of it. Shoot my garand and 1903. But $80 to shoot 60 rounds is very discouraging to say the least. This will be a huge discouragement to new shooters.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-11-2020, 08:19 AM
Rootsy Rootsy is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Monroe, Michigan
Posts: 1,900
Default

Hmmmm... ppl don’t work for free. This includes CMP staff, the patrol boat and range control (.mil) at the minimum. I doubt CMP is even breaking even on the deal. Nice to have an organization that is willing to lose money to provide you a nice safe venue to shoot at (which is covered and on concrete with electronic targets). Going to the movies with a tub of popcorn and a pop will cost you almost as much.
__________________
Distinguished Rifleman #2297
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-11-2020, 10:13 AM
hebes405 hebes405 is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Ohio
Posts: 560
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootsy View Post
Hmmmm... ppl donít work for free. This includes CMP staff, the patrol boat and range control (.mil) at the minimum. I doubt CMP is even breaking even on the deal. Nice to have an organization that is willing to lose money to provide you a nice safe venue to shoot at (which is covered and on concrete with electronic targets). Going to the movies with a tub of popcorn and a pop will cost you almost as much.
I understand they don't work for free. But no range control or boats are needed on the 100 yard range at Perry. I understand the cost for the national match, but a weekend 100 yard match on e targets, that's a bit steep in my opinion. Roosty is right, the covered heated building is nice and the CMP puts on good events. But $40 for 30 shots could be very distracting to someone who is on the fence about competition.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-11-2020, 10:14 AM
missilegeek missilegeek is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: AL
Posts: 1,935
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebes405 View Post
The match fees are a little outrageous. I was thinking about shooting at camp Perry on the 5th of April. They are holding a 100 yard GSVM match on e targets. The fee is $40! That's ridiculous. You don't even get a tee shirt or shoot full distance. I would have liked to made an entire day out of it. Shoot my garand and 1903. But $80 to shoot 60 rounds is very discouraging to say the least. This will be a huge discouragement to new shooters.

The Games matches have been very expensive - for what they are - for a long time now. Including "Travel Games". Doesn't seem to affect attendance much, so I really wouldn't expect it to go down.
__________________
Service Rifle: 1884-2015 RIP.
Service Pistol: 1903-2014

Last edited by missilegeek; 02-11-2020 at 10:21 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-11-2020, 12:26 PM
X Hunter X Hunter is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,388
Default

I would not pay $40 to shoot a 100yd GSVMM Match.

Most clubs charge less than that for a 500 agg Leg Match.
Of the 3 clubs near me, the price of a leg match is a low of $25 and high of $30.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-12-2020, 04:47 PM
Gewehr43 Gewehr43 is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 2,739
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebes405 View Post
I understand they don't work for free. But no range control or boats are needed on the 100 yard range at Perry. I understand the cost for the national match, but a weekend 100 yard match on e targets, that's a bit steep in my opinion. Roosty is right, the covered heated building is nice and the CMP puts on good events. But $40 for 30 shots could be very distracting to someone who is on the fence about competition.
FWIW:
Camp Perry is still a military range run by the Ohio NG.
NO military range would EVER be run without range control present and operating.
In the case of Camp Perry that means also the safety fan (downrange) wouldn't change and so boats in the water would be an issue.

Here, our matches run 25-30.00.... so yes 40.00 is higher than most, but not outrageous to me.
__________________
Service Rifle.... RIP .... 1884-2015
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-12-2020, 05:50 PM
hebes405 hebes405 is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Ohio
Posts: 560
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gewehr43 View Post
FWIW:
Camp Perry is still a military range run by the Ohio NG.
NO military range would EVER be run without range control present and operating.
In the case of Camp Perry that means also the safety fan (downrange) wouldn't change and so boats in the water would be an issue.

Here, our matches run 25-30.00.... so yes 40.00 is higher than most, but not outrageous to me.
Well there you go. The labor is already paid for by uncle Sam. I still highly doubt they will have boats for a match on the 100 yard range which had an earth back stop. I could be wrong but that still makes $40 a very expensive match.
The EIC match they put on is only $35 and that would require boats and more range operations than a 100 yard
match at a fixed position.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-12-2020, 07:24 PM
ilionkid ilionkid is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Wyoming, DE
Posts: 233
Default

Well the obvious conclusion is if it is too expensive, don't buy it.

Mike
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-12-2020, 09:33 PM
rickgman rickgman is online now
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,101
Default

Rootsy and Gewehr43 are correct. Camp Perry is not a club which is run by non-paid volunteers. There are significant expenses associated with running matches on any military installation. The required range ops personnel are often OHNG personnel and are paid based on the number of drills they attend. If they are present for a match, they get paid. If they are civilian personnel, they are paid overtime if they are working beyond their normal 40 hrs. per week.

I personally enjoy shooting at Camp Perry. I wish I had more opportunities to shoot there. Match fees are the least of my concerns.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-13-2020, 02:04 PM
Gewehr43 Gewehr43 is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 2,739
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hebes405 View Post
Well there you go. The labor is already paid for by uncle Sam. I still highly doubt they will have boats for a match on the 100 yard range which had an earth back stop. I could be wrong but that still makes $40 a very expensive match.
The EIC match they put on is only $35 and that would require boats and more range operations than a 100 yard
match at a fixed position.
Ok, well if you feel the match is poorly run or too expensive, don't go.
I'm sure there are other matches in your area you could attend.
__________________
Service Rifle.... RIP .... 1884-2015
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:18 PM.