X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wurger
    • Nov 2009

Use of Colt HBAR II for matches?

I had bought a Colt HBAR II many years ago with the idea of using it for CMP matches. Reading the rules at the time, my understanding was that the rifles were restricted to 20” barrels. The new rules look like I could use this rifle with the 16” barrel. Is this true?

This is a video of my rifle:

https://youtu.be/HZEKhzCZehU
  • Gewehr43
    • Nov 2009

Which matches are you interested in?
    The modern military or Service Rifle?
    Service Rifle.... RIP .... 1884-2015

Comment

• Skeet6
      GSM Master Instructor
      • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Wurger View Post
      The new rules look like I could use this rifle with the 16” barrel. Is this true?
      This should help you. Rest of the link is here... http://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads...f?ver=03202018

Mike B

Barrel

Barrel length may not exceed the standard A2 barrel length of 20
      inches, as measured from the bolt face to the end of the barrel.
      Flash suppressors are not required, but if the barrel has a
      flash suppressor the length of the barrel measured from the bolt face to the end of the flash
      suppressor shall not exceed 21 ¼ inches. No full length heavy barrels
      are permitted. No portion of the barrel forward of the rearward location
      of the gas block or front sight tenon shall have a diameter exceeding
      .750”. Upper receivers and/or barrels may not be changed during the
      firing of any event. Standard rifle length gas systems must be used for
      20 inch barrels; carbine length gas systems may be used for b
      arrels less than 20 inches.
      Barrels may not have compensators, muzzle brakes or
      sound suppressors
      CMP GSM Master Instructor
      NRA Range Safety Officer
      Still searching for WRA 1614856.

Comment

• Wurger
        • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Gewehr43 View Post
        Which matches are you interested in?
        The modern military or Service Rifle?
        I’m thinking the Service Rifle. Not really sure what the Modern Military match is.??

Comment

• rickgman
          • Oct 2009

One thing to consider is that it is very difficult to find a match trigger for some Colt AR type rifles - and I think you have one of those that is problematic. Colt has used both small mil spec pins (approx. 0.154" dia.) and large pins (approx. 0.169" dia.). I think you have probably got the large pins in your rifle.
          Last edited by rickgman; 03-25-2018, 09:25 PM.

Comment

• dw617
            • Jul 2013

The Geiselle website has a page dedicated to Colt lowers and trigger compatibility.

https://geissele.com/colt-rifle-users-guide/

Rickgman, I know you were really talking about the trigger pin size, and not the front take down pin size - .154 vs .170

Comment

• rickgman
              • Oct 2009

Originally posted by dw617 View Post
              The Geiselle website has a page dedicated to Colt lowers and trigger compatibility.

https://geissele.com/colt-rifle-users-guide/

Rickgman, I know you were really talking about the trigger pin size, and not the front take down pin size - .154 vs .170
              DW, thanks! Yep I got the pin sizes wrong. I was thinking about the dimensions of the take down pins. Since Colt messed with both pins, it can get sort of confusing. I guess I should double check before posting. I fixed the mistake in my first message. Thanks again.

Comment

• Wurger
                • Nov 2009

Originally posted by rickgman View Post
                One thing to consider is that it is very difficult to find a match trigger for some Colt AR type rifles - and I think you have one of those that is problematic. Colt has used both small mil spec pins (approx. 0.154" dia.) and large pins (approx. 0.169" dia.). I think you have probably got the large pins in your rifle.
                I just checked and I have the .169” pins. Another unwanted wrinkle.
                It looks like there are a few good if pricey options.
                I’ve checked and the Colt upper fits on my PSA lower with a very small amount of play. I’ll test the Colt upper to see if it is accurate enough to look at getting a target trigger for it.

Comment

• Wurger
                  • Nov 2009

Actually the Colt upper has about the same play on the Colt lower.
                  Not exactly pleased with my Colt experience so far.
                  My PSA lower has no play with a PSA lower. It was almost $800 cheaper.
                  Hope the upper lives up to the ‘Match Target’ label.

Comment

• rickgman
                    • Oct 2009

You will also want to have a rifle with a free floating handguard to eliminate barrel bending when using a sling so that's another thing that you will want to change on the Colt HBar. You can always sell your Colt HBar II and purchase a real match grade service rifle and probably leave a lot of the drama behind.

Comment

• Gewehr43
                      • Nov 2009

OP:
                      I asked about which matches you are interested in for the same reasons other posters are bringing up various things.....

The Modern Military matches are one of the CMP Games matches and they are shot at 200yds.
                      Service Rifle is shot out to 600yds.

Just my 2% here:

The Colt would work ok for the MM. You wont be limited by the short barrel and short sight radius. That leaves the trigger and possible sling tension shifting your zero. I don't think free floats are legal for the MM though.

For Service Rifle all those will work against you though.....along with the NATO chamber. The Colt will work but to be honest, it will be frustrating.

BTW...... the looseness of the receivers is distracting but not a loss in accuracy............. if it bothers you, use a "wedge" to tighten it up.

The Colt's are great combat rifles........ but there are better for competition.

PS the name "match target" was a Clinton era AW ban thing........ that is why you don't have a FH (along with the bayonet lug missing) and the name was to make the Dems happy, it really isn't a "match" rifle.
                      Last edited by Gewehr43; 03-26-2018, 04:50 AM.
                      Service Rifle.... RIP .... 1884-2015

Comment

• rickgman
                        • Oct 2009

Gewehr43 is correct - the Colt HBarII is a good choice for the Modern Military match. Not so good for true service rifle competition. There are just too many limitations when applied to service rifle competition. It is always best to use the right tool for the job.

Comment

• ceresco
                          • Oct 2009

Depends on how serious you are in service rifle or modern military..... Definately not suitable from cross the course service rifle, better for MM, but any shooter wants a match trigger for whatever they are doing. The heavy barrel will help (but not eliminate)sling tension issues. Since the Colts bring silly money and good NM service rifles (and M4s for MM) are relatively inexpensive, selling it might make sense.... Good Shooting. ..

Comment

• Wurger
                            • Nov 2009

Thanks everyone. Lots of good advice, well appreciated. I know my range has matches during the summer but their competition range is only at 100 yards. I need to see exactly what match they are shooting. I doubt I’ll get too deep into it, more looking to have an enjoyable time.

I will seriously look into selling the Colt once I shoot it for accuracy with my PSA lower to see if I should keep it or not.
                            Last edited by Wurger; 03-26-2018, 11:00 PM.

Comment

• rickgman
                              • Oct 2009

If your Palmetto State Armory rifle shoots well and meets the weight limit for the Modern Military Matches, you can use it for these matches. They use FN barrels which are definitely high quality barrels as mil spec barrels go. I see no advantage that the Colt HBar II offers you over the Palmetto State rifle.

Comment

Working...
                              X