Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2019, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickgman View Post
I think they used 168 grain Sierra Match King bullets so they are popular with many reloaders. Good luck !!!
Nosler 168 CC's, says so right on the packaging. Though not a whole lot different I guess.

Blaming this on the rifles is a cop-out. Way too many reports from a very wide variety of weapons to just be "improperly built rifles". But, whatever.

I'm a little surprised CMP hasn't stepped up, given how much of this stuff they sold. Then again it's been a while... 5 years? I've never bothered to ask them directly. Still have 1 can of 200 I haven't pulled the bullets from yet. I wonder if they'd exchange it for me?
Old 01-07-2019, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORN197 View Post
Nosler 168 CC's, says so right on the packaging. Though not a whole lot different I guess.
Thanks for the correction.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:11 PM

I have 3 cans of this I bought from CMP and have not shot any just stacked it back for when I re barreled one of my Garands.
I hope you guys can negotiate something with Atomic or the CMP and add a solution to this thread.
Thanks
David
Old 01-07-2019, 01:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjeane View Post
I have 3 cans of this I bought from CMP and have not shot any just stacked it back for when I re barreled one of my Garands.
I hope you guys can negotiate something with Atomic or the CMP and add a solution to this thread.
Thanks
David
I doubt you will see an all out recall from either Atomic or CMP.
If you have documentation...pics...of a problem with the ammo, then I think it will be handled on an individual basis.
Read this page from an earlier posting here and appears that a member was able to work out a solution with Atomic but would not disclose any details that was worked out but seems to have kept the ammo....
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=233021&page=5

Some people have had good luck and fired 2K rounds of it with no problems. I only made it to over 300 rounds before I got bit. I have pulled over 100 rounds and sitting on another 200 unfired that I will also pull. I weighed the powder charge from the ones I pulled and found weights from 41.1 to 41.8.
The round that caused my problem had been run through a Sheridan Gauge prior to going to the range and yet still failed.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:01 PM

I'm amazed that the manufacturer of this ammo (Atomic) hasn't recalled it. This has to be a significant lawsuit just waiting for the right combination of factors and one, I would think, difficult to defend given the history of this particular load. What would a lost eye cost from a disability standpoint? How about fingers? Any normal ammunition manufacturer would take this very seriously. What am I missing?
Old 01-07-2019, 03:05 PM

Go to the Atomic website and read the FAQ's. To paraphrase: "It's not the ammunition, it's your crap rifle, or you stored the ammunition for too long!"
*If you have a friend who is an attorney, ask if he would send a letter on the firm's letterhead mentioning the problem and how they [Atomic] can help resolve it, or whether you will have to go to court.

Last edited by BobJ50; 01-07-2019 at 03:08 PM. Reason: *added
Old 01-07-2019, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickgman View Post
Joel, It seems like some folks have been successful in separating the good from the bad by inspecting the cartridges with a Sheridan case gage. It is necessary to check each cartridge more than once by re-orienting the cartridge a few times to get a conclusive reading with the gage. It is up to each individual as to whether they feel confident using the cartrdiges that gage within spec. The bad ones can be broken down using a bullet puller and you can sell the pulled bullets to a reloaded. I think they used 168 grain Sierra Match King bullets so they are popular with many reloaders. Good luck !!!
Rick, at this point I just don't have the confidence in the ammo, so I'll likely pull it or sell it for components to salvage some of the loss. Had one primer blowback that pocked my bolt face, wasn't happy about that either. Learned my lesson on that buy, never had an issue with Federal / LC first run. Some bad PR on this is probably much cheaper than a recall for Atomic.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:58 PM

I also have a can (plastic ammo can) that I have not shot. Looking to get rid of it.
They named it properly "Atomic"
Old 01-08-2019, 02:38 PM

After reading the last few posts on this thread I made the decision to pull the last 5 cans of this crap and count my blessings that I had no mishaps using as much as I did.

First line ammo is now either handloads , 175 GMM or Federal M118LR which has been moved up to replace the Atomic disaster.

RVN 67-68
Old 01-08-2019, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nf1e View Post
After reading the last few posts on this thread I made the decision to pull the last 5 cans of this crap and count my blessings that I had no mishaps using as much as I did.

First line ammo is now either handloads , 175 GMM or Federal M118LR which has been moved up to replace the Atomic disaster.
Art,

How much of the Atomic ammo did you shoot? Were there any mishaps? Also, did you gage check any of it? If so, what were the results?