Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2019, 05:48 PM

Default WTK 1946 Winchester Model 70

Didn’t really have a need for anything hunting rifle, but I growing up Pre-64 Model 70s have always held a mystique for me. This 1946-production rifle is in great condition for its age. Beautiful bore in 30.06. Does anyone know which variant this would have been? Looks pretty basic to me. And does anyone know if the bolt would have been jeweled originally? Original scope mount holes?

https://imgur.com/a/A47go2X

Last edited by Blockhead; 11-17-2019 at 08:48 AM.
Old 11-16-2019, 06:11 PM

That's a standard Model 70. Bolt would not have been jeweled in that vintage, which was right after production resumed after the war. It also wouldn't have had a polished handle. Pre-war M70s definitely wouldn't have had the rear bridge tapped, but post-war that could be correct. I also have a 1946 M70 and it has the rear holes. Mine has the transition style safety lever that does not have the turndown wing. It's cool that yours has the factory clip slot. Mine doesn't. That actually might be an indicator that it was a prewar receiver assembled after the war. Need to check my book on that.

Last edited by bigwagon; 11-16-2019 at 06:13 PM.
Old 11-16-2019, 06:30 PM

I agree with big wagon, plus . . . .
Your safety lever is a “Tilden” commercial unit that COULD have been installed at Winchester, but I doubt it.
There was a lot of mixing of features on these “transitionals” during the immediate post-war era.
I have a “pre-war” configured M70 that exhibits ALL pre-war features, yet was made in 1946! (Nothing on the rifle says “transitional” model, yet it was made post-war.)
Old 11-17-2019, 08:40 AM

Good source of parts/information here.....

https://pre64win.com/
Old 11-17-2019, 11:03 AM

Thanks for the info. I want to get it to the range in the next few weeks. Bonus was getting that nice sling on it too. It probably hand't been out of a safe in a long time because the verdigris was thick on the sling hardware.
Old 11-17-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blockhead View Post
Thanks for the info. I want to get it to the range in the next few weeks. Bonus was getting that nice sling on it too. It probably hand't been out of a safe in a long time because the verdigris was thick on the sling hardware.
Your receiver is a Type 1 ("Pre-War") version, serial nos to 60500 (approx.). The stripper clip loading slots were standard on this version. From the factory the left side of the receiver was drilled, tapped and plugged with filler screws. The rear receiver bridge was NOT drilled. The front receiver ring was drilled, tapped, and plugged with filler screws.

This info comes from The Rifleman's Rifle, page 125.