Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2019, 07:22 AM

Great discussion here gentlemen and it pulls together many events of peripheral connection to my own experience. My family returned stateside from our newly minted 50th state and found we had come from Paradise to Hades. In typical military fashion we wound up in the Imperial Valley at NAS El Centro. US Navy in the desert.. brilliant. Pop was in aerial photography and his/our purpose there was to serve in the unit that filmed all aspects of operations at the Parachute Test facility. The R&D on all the chutes used by the US and some others was done there. As a kid I watched endless hours of test film on everything from gun camera and ejection systems to HAD (NASA recovery systems) and LAPSE testing. I had a stack of Lifting Body B&Ws at one point, now gone, that were interesting in that when the Six Million Dollar Man came out I was the only one in my peer group that had actually seen footage of the aircraft and the crash sequence that opened every episode. Back to LAPSE. Some of the films I watched would come very close to home when as a young Cavalryman years later I recognized the ARAAV I was crewing was the same I had watched being hammered into the ground in repeated tests of the LAPSE systems they were trying to perfect in the desert. I was never involved in an operational airborne deployment of the vehicle. Funny thing is those old Sheridans were the most fun I had in Army. Pulling the trigger on that M81E1 lifted the first two road wheels off the ground. Sadly (for me) further down the road in my career I returned as an aviator to another desert, this time in the Mojave at NTC, I found all those M551s had been hacked up and turned into VISMODs. Seems like every system I ever used was in museums before I retired. Was a heck of a ride though.
Old 11-16-2019, 09:15 AM

"Navy in the desert". I like that.
Time marches on, especially with technology. Yesterday's state-of-the-art systems are today's targets. Good examples are SINKEX, and the use of drones that goes back to post-WWII. I cringe every time I see the old video of a QB-17 being destroyed by a missile.
Thankfully, some of these tests actually preserved artifacts like the B-29's "Doc" and "FIFI". According to movie trivia, some of the B-17 aircraft used in the 1949 movie "12 O'Clock High" were used in atomic bomb tests and were still considered "hot", limiting the amount of time that crews could man them.
Time marches on. But veterans and volunteers contribute to the efforts to keep artifacts like the aircraft, WWII subs and surface vessels, and land-based weapon systems on display, as well as the artifacts of the men and women that served, and continue to serve, our country.
To everyone here that has served or does serve, thank you for your service.
Old 11-18-2019, 09:26 AM

Just a heads up guys. If you have been into "Planes, Planes, Planes" from the beginning you will know who he is and all about Bob Monahan, who work for and with AmJet in the plane collection business back in the 90's. New comers can go to the very first page for the beginning.

On November 7th he went in to have a"simple" knee surgery. Well, it turned into a complete "Overhaul". He is still in the Franke Home convalescent center here in Mt. Pleasant SC for physical therapy and will be there, according to his wife (and copilot in the early days) will be there for several weeks. Got word he won't be receiving any e-mails so just keep him in your thoughts and prayers.

I forgot to add, it's his "Right Rudder" leg!!!

Home of the FREE Carbine Club Newsletter Index raeed4@comcast.net
I do NOT have newsletters to sell! ONLY our INDEX of what is in each issue. To get the issues see the link for the Carbine collectors Club.
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/

USAF 379th Bomb Wing (Heavy) SAC
Gun Owners of SC
GCA
Old 11-18-2019, 01:33 PM

Having had both left (2002) and right (2008) knee replacements, as well as a left (2016) "revision" (another replacement after wearing out the first replacement), I can commiserate with him.
Best wishes during his recovery.
Old 11-18-2019, 06:33 PM

You can tell him that I would be happy to warm up any of his planes. Just tell me how to start the thing and I will bring it back warmed up!
Old 11-19-2019, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpa72 View Post
You can tell him that I would be happy to warm up any of his planes. Just tell me how to start the thing and I will bring it back warmed up!

Home of the FREE Carbine Club Newsletter Index raeed4@comcast.net
I do NOT have newsletters to sell! ONLY our INDEX of what is in each issue. To get the issues see the link for the Carbine collectors Club.
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/

USAF 379th Bomb Wing (Heavy) SAC
Gun Owners of SC
GCA
Old 11-19-2019, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpa72 View Post
Let me know if you need a copilot. The pilot's operating handbook has all the really important stuff, right? I mean, how tough could it be, with a book with pictures and stuff?
Old 11-20-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLD View Post
Let me know if you need a copilot. The pilot's operating handbook has all the really important stuff, right? I mean, how tough could it be, with a book with pictures and stuff?
Just pull the owners manual from the glove box, should tell you everything you need know.....Right?
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Old 11-20-2019, 02:30 PM

Right next to the fuel testing cup. Or bucket, if it's a big airplane.
Remember when general aviation aircraft had cigarette lighters and ashtrays?
Old 11-20-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLD View Post
How hard can it be? You've read Government books and pamphlets before? The C-130 "handbook" is perhaps 2" thick although the REALLY important stuff is only 1/2" thick.

You get me the book, some time alone, full tank of gas , and a few days. THEN we'll go flying and discuss who's pilot and who's copilot.