Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2009, 12:23 AM

Default Rockola rack grade?

I'm thinking about ordering a Rockola rack grade and wonder what I should expect. if I want Rockola, it looks like rack grade is it. Trying to decide whether to get my first carbine or put the money toward another Garand. Also, Is is reasonable to ask for a walnut stock or should I just be quiet?
Old 11-21-2009, 12:28 AM

Send a message via AIM to deputy85

it never hurts to put a nice little request on your order, if they open a crate and see what you asked for they will pull it out, they wont open multiple crates looking, as for a rack grade, ive seen dogs and ones that look great, whatevr it looks like it will be safe to shoot and it can be prettied up,
Old 11-21-2009, 01:24 AM

I say go for it. Most of the rackers that I have seen have been pretty good. Granted, some are better than others but usually that is just the condition of the wood which can vary greatly but replacements are always available. If I had not sent already sent in an order for a RG Flip then I would be ordering a ROCK. I will keep my fingers crossed and maybe I will get lucky.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:29 AM

I mailed my order in yesterday for a Rock RG. Just have a Saginaw S' G' to get (some day) and have "The 10". I exclude the IP make for the $ reason.
I bought a Quality Hardware that I hand picked at the SS last July. It cleaned up great and shoots great.
I now am waiting for my RG Saginaw that shipped out from CMP Friday. Understand that I won't see it until Monday. Will post pics and info on it as soon as I can on Monday.
J.R.
P.S. All the RG's I checked at SS had 2 and a hair over 3 MW. Not bad !
Old 11-21-2009, 09:03 AM

Order the carbine with your request. Garands will be around for some time yet; once the carbines are gone, there's none on the horizon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobN54 View Post
I'm thinking about ordering a Rockola rack grade and wonder what I should expect. if I want Rockola, it looks like rack grade is it. Trying to decide whether to get my first carbine or put the money toward another Garand. Also, Is is reasonable to ask for a walnut stock or should I just be quiet?
Old 11-21-2009, 09:59 AM

You can ask for anything. I added a note requesting a walnut stock and a Rock-ola barrel. That's what I got, but whether or not my note had anything to do with it, who knows? Go for it! It's a freakin' Rock-ola! What a piece of history!
Old 11-21-2009, 01:35 PM

Mailed my order Fri. for a Rock-0la. My thinking it is the only way I will get one. I plan to keep a gun on order the entire year. It takes long enough that I have it paid for by the time it arrives so I just order the next one. This will put me at 5 with 3 SG 1 import and 1 rack. I will try to round out the collection as opportunity presents itself.
Old 11-21-2009, 05:50 PM

Last year, I received both a SG and RG Rock-ola - traded another forum member the RG even for a SG IBM - I think we both were satisfied. It was a nice carbine. Five of my 11 carbines are RGs (including a Bavaria Forestry Police) - some have showed up with fairly ugly wood - but hardware wise - there is little difference - they are usually have a little less finish. Bolts seem to be a little rougher on a RG - more wear and less finish. MW does not seem to be a big issue - three are about with MW 2; one that has a MW of about 3 and one is counter-bored - it shoots great.

Go For it.

Last edited by rlexx; 11-21-2009 at 07:41 PM.
Old 11-21-2009, 06:10 PM

There was a guy at the gun show today selling a Rock-ola with a GM barrel, I'd say rack grade. Price was $1200!
Old 11-21-2009, 09:53 PM

Of the several carbines I own my Rockola is my favorite. Do not miss an oppurtunity to get one because they are hard to find when you are looking for one.

And they definitely command higher prices at gunshows on the rare occasion I come across one.