Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Ammunition
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 09-16-2019, 01:48 PM
Ammolab Ammolab is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 389
Default

There is a “NATO” dictionary? Well I didn’t sign the treaty...
Webster’s my guide.

misfire noun
mis·​fire | \ ˌmis-ˈfī(-ə)r , ˈmis-ˌfī(-ə)r\
Definition of misfire (Entry 2 of 2)
1 : a failure (as of a cartridge or firearm) to fire.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-16-2019, 02:02 PM
ceresco ceresco is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 7,614
Default

Hillary Clinton: "loose cannons (referring to Trump) often misfire". I'll leave it to a democrat to explain that one. Good Shooting. ....
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-16-2019, 02:12 PM
Shomway Shomway is online now
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 6,198
Send a message via AIM to Shomway
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gewehr43 View Post
OP:
Are you going to explain your issues or not?
Alot of people are shooting HXP and are curious about your comments.
The OP is good for doing this.....
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=251989
__________________
31- 100% ITrader feedback prior to removal.
Feedback....http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=209950
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-16-2019, 03:03 PM
BobJ50 BobJ50 is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Georgia
Posts: 389
Default My post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammolab View Post
There is a “NATO” dictionary? Well I didn’t sign the treaty...
Webster’s my guide.

misfire noun
mis·​fire | \ ˌmis-ˈfī(-ə)r , ˈmis-ˌfī(-ə)r\
Definition of misfire (Entry 2 of 2)
1 : a failure (as of a cartridge or firearm) to fire.
Source: US DoD Joint Publication 1-02 [US Department of Defense Joint Publication]
It would seem to me that if we are using the term "misfire" when referring to this ammunition, we could consider the military definition and thus be a little more specific-at least as defined by the DoD.
I looked at Webster once, but didn't think it had enough pictures.
I'll go with my original definition.
My Post:
Misfire
(DOD, NATO) 1. Failure to fire or explode properly. 2. Failure of a primer or the propelling charge of a round or projectile to function wholly or in part.
Source: US DoD Joint Publication 1-02, DOD Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms (as amended through 15 February 2016)
https://fas.org/irp/doddir/dod/jp1_02.pdf

Last edited by BobJ50; 09-16-2019 at 03:23 PM. Reason: add.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-16-2019, 03:51 PM
Gewehr43 Gewehr43 is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 2,622
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shomway View Post
The OP is good for doing this.....
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=251989
You noticed that too eh?
Well atleast this thread wont go to waste, we can argue the definition of "misfire."
__________________
Service Rifle.... RIP .... 1884-2015
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-16-2019, 06:30 PM
Ammolab Ammolab is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 389
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJ50 View Post
Source: US DoD Joint Publication 1-02 [US Department of Defense Joint Publication]
It would seem to me that if we are using the term "misfire" when referring to this ammunition, we could consider the military definition and thus be a little more specific-at least as defined by the DoD.
I looked at Webster once, but didn't think it had enough pictures.
I'll go with my original definition.
My Post:
Misfire
(DOD, NATO) 1. Failure to fire or explode properly. 2. Failure of a primer or the propelling charge of a round or projectile to function wholly or in part.
Source: US DoD Joint Publication 1-02, DOD Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms (as amended through 15 February 2016)
https://fas.org/irp/doddir/dod/jp1_02.pdf
Well it is a Military discussion but a pre NATO cartridge and weapon.
I was in the military in 1966 and we were taught a misfire and hang fire were two different things.
So if a “missfire” includes hangfires and squibs....what word defines a missfire when the hammer falls and nothing is ignited at all, not a hang fire and not a squib...a mis-missfire?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-16-2019, 08:19 PM
BobJ50 BobJ50 is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Georgia
Posts: 389
Default

Misfire: "2. Failure of a primer or the propelling charge of a round or projectile to function wholly or in part." To function wholly-as in "...nothing is ignited at all."
I was in the military, too, 1961 and Trainfire with the M1 Garand. We were given examples of "misfires" and definitions. Since my Depends are not in a knot, I'll remain with "Misfire" and use the commonly recognized military definitions of sub-group problems.
For example: Misfire; blown primer; loose primer; pierced cap; split cap; cap blown out; partial/complete case rupture; bore obstruction, etc., etc., etc...
Those are simple examples and as Bill Clinton once said, " “It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is."
*I heard a lot of nonsense when I was in the army and probably still think some of it is true. Like, "When you bayonet someone, always fire your weapon to assist backing the blade out!" Is that true??
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-17-2019, 07:48 AM
nate nate is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 219
Default

I was taught in ‘66 that if you were in a situation where you were using a bayonet you were out of ammunition. Fun discussion.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-17-2019, 08:24 PM
Old Guard Old Guard is offline
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: tn
Posts: 807
Default Bayonet and M-14 rifle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate View Post
I was taught in ‘66 that if you were in a situation where you were using a bayonet you were out of ammunition. Fun discussion.
Us Army, 1967, FT Polk,la..Our instruction did not include firing the weapon if the blade was stuck in an Enemy..Recruit asked and DI replied...Take your Foot and kick the body off to assist in removing the blade...Never forgot
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-25-2019, 06:57 AM
bandofM1 bandofM1 is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: ohio
Posts: 1,523
Default

Primer hits are solid. It misfires in rifles primers are dead,but no hang fires. It was bought at the North Store in loose ammo cans several years ago. The garands fire fine with all other ammo. This happens with old surplus . The loose stuff was good depends where it was stored before packing or being pulled from Belts. I have shot much HXP with out problems. Its good blasting range ammo. Gonna shoot all of this old crap ammo off. Its getting long in the tooth!

Last edited by bandofM1; 09-25-2019 at 07:01 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:20 PM.