Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2019, 01:18 PM

Default Re-Barrel a CMP Eddystone 1917?

Gentlemen,

I recently bought an Eddystone 1917 with CMP papers. It's already a rebuild, as it has a Remington stock and barrel.

The bore is filthy. I'm currently working to clean it, but it could be hopeless (would love any suggestions y'all have for really nasty bores!). It's every bit as ugly as an Iraqi Enfield No 1 Mk III I once tried to clean.

I haven't given up yet, but if the bore will not clean up, what are the group's thought on re-barreling, yes or no, and either with another 1917 barrel, or with a new production Criterion one?

I'm not asking permission, it's mine and I can do what I want. But I am truly interested in what some of y'all would do, and your reasons for it. I'm here to learn.

And if you have ideas on cleaning up that bore, PLEASE fire away!

Thanks,
Trog
Old 10-09-2019, 01:49 PM

If you dont end up with a good bore, I wouldn't hesitate rebarreling it since it is not a matching set anyway. Criterions have a good reputation, and would be a logical choice. I've also bought a couple of JA barrels is very good condition on Ebay in the past for short money.
Old 10-09-2019, 02:01 PM

I had BIG trouble with a JA barrel. It would climb when hot. Way off target and I took it to Perry!! Do try the Criterion barrel. Very high quality and worth the money. Also, find a good gunsmith. The '17 barrels can be tough to remove. Good luck.

Last edited by Calif-Steve; 10-10-2019 at 09:46 AM.
Old 10-09-2019, 03:11 PM

I have a 1917 with a bore that sounds a lot like yours. It took a lot of work to get it to the point where you could actually discern rifling and it seemed safe to shoot a bit. A few rounds actually made the bore a bit better but its still not good. Shoots ok, you can hit what you aim at, but it won't win any medals. Mine too is an already replaced barrel so I'm keeping my eye out for a replacement barrel for it. Its otherwise very pretty (was a ceremonial/parade rifle) so getting a good barrel on it will result in a very nice rifle. I wouldn't waste a whole lot of time and effort on trying to bring that barrel back to life if I was in your shoes though.

Good luck with yours, keep us updated on whichever way you go.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:20 PM

I presume from your comments that you plan to take your rifle to the range and shoot it regularly. If so, then re-barreling is recommended.

J.B.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:39 PM

Re-barrel, you'll be happy you did. Criterion barrels are great and very accurate. Eddie
Old 10-09-2019, 07:55 PM

I can share my experience. I also have a 1917 whose original barrel was a sewer pipe. I had the CMP Custom Shop install a new Criterion. I opted for the deluxe package which included truing the face of the receiver. The work was top notch, and the rifle looks and shoots great!

If your barrel is pitted, as my original was, no type or amount of cleaning is going to restore it.

Last edited by Tester19; 10-09-2019 at 07:58 PM. Reason: addition
Old 10-10-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tester19 View Post
I can share my experience. I also have a 1917 whose original barrel was a sewer pipe. I had the CMP Custom Shop install a new Criterion. I opted for the deluxe package which included truing the face of the receiver. The work was top notch, and the rifle looks and shoots great!
do you happen to remember what the cost was to have that all done?
Old 10-10-2019, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpm View Post
do you happen to remember what the cost was to have that all done?
http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/custom-g...ld-30-06-only/
Old 10-10-2019, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLupini View Post
Yep, that's It---$175 for the work. Believe it was the same when I had mine done a couple of years ago. I also had the trigger job done and was well please with it. I already had a new Criterion barrel which I sent them---current cost is around $200.