Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2019, 10:00 PM

Default WW II Sewing Kit

My wife attended a quilting demonstration and as a door prize won an individual WW II sewing kit in a clear baggie labelled WWII Sewing Kit.

It is OD cloth with a OD strip of cloth that ties around the kit to keep it closed. No where on the cloth is stamped the manufacturer. So, I wonder if it is a reproduction.

The cardboard which holds several colored threads is marked "Made in the USA".

Could it be a genuine USGI WW II kit? Were some WW II kits not stamped with the manufacturer's mark?

I checked Ebay which carries same kit. It is my experience that Ebay would specify if a military item is a reproduction. In this case, it did not.
Old 11-15-2019, 10:47 PM

How about some photos?

I have my grandfathers sewing kit from WW2, but I believe it bought by him or maybe his parents. I do not believe it was issued.
Old 11-15-2019, 10:55 PM

A picture or two would help but I'm guessing it is original to the WWII era. These sewing kits are seen in a wide range of configurations. These kits are rather common and do not sell for very much. I have 2 or 3 differing styles of WWII sewing kits one of which is currently listed on ebay for $2.99 and it will probably not sell even at that low price. These were procured by GI's from various sources such as family members, PX, Red Cross etc...
Old 11-15-2019, 10:56 PM

Tmark, If I remember right, my sewing kit had all khaki. However, my sewing kit came in a ditty bag put together by a Red Cross group in PA. It was wonderful, since it contained many of the items that we would need like, the sewing kit, a deck of cards, envelopes and paper. toothbrush and paste, comb, saltwater soap (needed on the ship going over) and a message encouraging me. There were some other things but my brain is not operating that far back tonight.
Old 11-16-2019, 12:09 AM

Thanks, Robert, et all for your responses.
Old 11-16-2019, 07:33 AM

I think that Sewing kits in the military were made in many forms by many different manufacturers. My Navy issue one was blue cloth with the wrap-around tie as described. It contained a small scissors, various color threads; black, white, khaki and also the same color buttons of different sizes. Needles were also included. I remember in training having to sew new buttons on shirts every time they came back from the cleaners.

I remember my Dad's Army Air Force sewing kit from WW II. One thing that sticks out in my mind was that the threads of several colors (olive, khaki, white, black) were woven in a criss-cross manner into a loose sort of cloth which looked like a small scarf. If you wanted a thread, you simply pulled one out of that "scarf".