Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2010, 10:53 PM

Here are pictures of my late 4.22M NPM B/R. There was light pitting at the wood line around the receiver. String was attached but any tag was missing. The muzzle gauged +2.0 and was probably +7 or 8 at the crown. The barrel was dark but cleaned up shiny.

I wanted to make this carbine my shooter-truck gun and was looking for ruggedness and accuracy. I used all late Inland parts to build it up along with M2 walnut for the wood. I had all parts on hand.

First, after studying the bore I decided to counter bore it as it was worn from cleaning.

Next I found that a type 2 bolt would barely close on the no-go gauge. A Type 3 Inland AI bolt solved this issue.

The carbine isn't the prettiest but feel confident it will put the rounds where I want them. The bore is dark in the close up photo of the crown as I did not clean the bore.

I will share the accuracy results on a separate thread.

Total cost was the cost of the B/R.

Old 11-16-2010, 06:32 AM

OK, Sly One, you are teasing us, right? You said "Total cost was the cost of the B/R." What was it really? I thought mine was good at a hair under $300, yours was $125 and tax/shipping?? Holy Crap, that's great!

Home of the FREE Carbine Club Newsletter Index raeed4@comcast.net
I do NOT have newsletters to sell! ONLY our INDEX of what is in each issue. To get the issues see the link for the Carbine collectors Club.
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/

USAF 379th Bomb Wing (Heavy) SAC
Gun Owners of SC
GCA
Old 11-16-2010, 08:35 AM

No really it was. I guess back in the days I paid something for the parts on hand to be fair. I keep the parts stashed and sorted in a a couple of tackle boxes, and just pulled out what looked good for the project.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:45 AM

Same here, if you look down this thread you'll see what I had to order. The rest were parts I had or were given by a friend. ALL the parts cost something at one time or another but I'll never figure out which ones I bought or how much.

I do NOT have newsletters to sell! ONLY our INDEX of what is in each issue. To get the issues see the link for the Carbine collectors Club.

Gun Owners of SC
GCA
Old 11-21-2010, 05:58 PM

Default Saginaw Barreled Receiver project (almost complete)

I had a few mintutes to kill today and thought I would post pictures from my first build. It is not complete yet (still need trigger, hammer, and sear), but here it is!

Here is a picture of the parts prior to assembly. The receiver is a Saginaw SG Bavarian marked with 3 holes. I was able to acquire a Austrian marked Winchester trigger housing with matching finish. The bolt is a NPM also matching in finish. The rear sight I aquired from Collector source as one of the stuck/rusty ones. It actully moves quite freely and aside from a little surface rust is not bad. The stock is a birch FAT stamped I pulled of the IBM I am working at making all IBM.

The mounting of the rear sight was something I was concerned with. I am doing a few of these projects, but wanted to save money where I could. After looking at the design of the rear sight tool, I figured I could do the same with my Vise, a C Clamp, and a piece of flat metal bar I had lying around. I was correct! The install was a breeze! I start by mounting the flat metal bar alongside the receiver in my vice, ensuring the end of the metal bar will clear the end of the adjustment nut on the rear sight:

Then I put some electric tape on the non-adjustment side of the clamp and snug on the metal bar and sight:

Tighten the clamp to push the sight evenly into the dovetail and center:
Old 11-21-2010, 05:59 PM

As you can see it works real slick, and no marring on the sight:

Here is a picture of the rifle complete (mostly). As you can see, half of the highest hole shows above the woodline. I would love for someone to determine the sight mount used and either make them available or recreate them. Since the holes are there I would love to make use and scope 1 of these!!

And that is about it. I was able to have one of my orders filled and was able to aqcuire a couple others through trades so I will have more of these to come, this is just my first!
Old 11-21-2010, 08:19 PM

Looks like another winner. When it's done lets see more pics AND the first targets.

Gun Owners of SC
GCA
Old 11-24-2010, 04:13 PM

IBM

Old 11-24-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
IBM

Damn Sam !!! That is a knock out!!! What about the stock, did you refinish it? Also where did the parts come from, buy/trade/had them on hand. Love to see more pics. To think it started out a BR and maybe headed for the trash. Good job.

Gun Owners of SC
GCA
Old 11-24-2010, 07:57 PM

Oops, maybe I misunderstood what BR refers to.....I guess it isn't Bavarian? What is it?