Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > Ask Each Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2019, 10:28 AM

How do these methods affect the patina?
Old 11-17-2019, 02:55 PM

Polyurethane comes in both oil and water based. Oil-based polyurethanes are resistant to water, alcohol and acids. Water-based polyurethane is not resistant to alcohol and acids. Water-based finishes are also softer than oil-based finishes. So normal varnish strippers like denatured alcohol, lacquer thinner, acetone and the citrus strippers or won't work on an oil based poly and only marginally on water based polys. Some of these may work on water based polys over time but you want to limit the 'wetted' time to minimize damage to the wood.

Your best results will come from a chemical based stripper based on methylene chloride. Even the strippers will leave traces in the grain and I don't know of a way to remove it except mechanicly with sandpaper or steel wool. It's not unusual to sand 1/16" off a floor before the new finish is applied. But you dont want to do so on your rifle stock. It can be done with minimal sanding but you will have to get as much off chemically to limit the amount of sanding. I prefer to use fine steel wool but it takes a lot longer.

I suppose you could sand it all off if you were real careful. I suspect if you did the stock would look very different.

Here is a good article on the subject.

https://cutthewood.com/diy/how-to-re...hane-from-wood
Old 11-18-2019, 08:38 AM

Methylene Chloride will solve lots of stuff (and burn knuckles too). Wipe down with vinegar / mild acid before new drying oil.

Sodium Hydroxide / oven cleaner also works well, and also calls for vinegar wipe-down afterward...

Did any Americans STOP waving their US Flags on 09/11/01, because their arms were tired from waving it on 09/10/01?