Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2020, 05:25 PM

Default Saginaw opinion

Came across a Saginaw, I'm told its in exc condition, pictures look like metal is in exc condition, replacement flip sight I don't know if GI or repo. Barrel is marked Saginaw S.G. DIV GENERAL MOTORS, no import marks, good bore with nice rifling, Seller doesn't know ME or TE.
Stock looks like replacement Birch, also come with a folding stock he believes is made by Fulton Armory. one 15 and one 30 rd mag unknown manufacture.

$950 Firm Thoughts? We would sell off the folding stock.

How much to get a nice walnut stock for it, although i do like Birch also,

http://imgur.com/a/TgXLlxH
Old 05-03-2020, 05:53 PM

You already know it’s not original. Both sights look a little suspicious and the safety you mentioned as well as the mag catch and the replacement stock. Based on the fact that you don’t know what’s inside, maybe $950 is a little high in most locales. Looks very clean, but I’d like it closer to $850-$875. I also realize that in some parts of the country, it might be a $1,000 carbine.

Since you are getting both stocks, that might push me over the edge?

Last edited by 309Carbine; 05-03-2020 at 05:55 PM.
Old 05-04-2020, 04:04 PM

So any idea what that folding stock could be sold for? That would give me the true price of the rifle, I have no idea $100, $200, $300?
Then I would probably try to get a walnut stock at some point.

Also what looks suspicious about the fwd site? I'm new to this. If like to leave more prior to inspecting the rifle. Being I will use this rifle mostly in CA, I would have to sell off the folding stock and mags, trying to figure value of those to get me true end price if rifle.

I asked if sights or any other parts are commercial, and if mags are GI or commercial, awaiting response.

Here's responses so far.
The barrel is original. Marked Saginaw S.G. DIV General Motors. No import markings. It still has good riflings. The fixed stock i believe is a birchwood GI replacement with no stamps.

The rear sight was swapped out for an early model ww2 flip sight. The folding stock i believe is a Fulton armory. It operates fine. Everything functions great. I am solid on the price. Its low price for a Saginaw m1.

Last edited by brianm767; 05-04-2020 at 04:20 PM.
Old 05-04-2020, 04:12 PM

Default folder

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianm767 View Post
So any idea what that folding stock could be sold for? That would give me the true price of the rifle, I have no idea $100, $200, $300?
Then I would probably try to get a walnut stock at some point.

Also what looks suspicious about the fwd site? I'm new to this
Probably $125-$150. The flip sight looks repro to me.
Old 05-04-2020, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianm767 View Post
Also what looks suspicious about the fwd site? I'm new to this
It looks fabricated and not machined. That would make it a type 2. I believe type two’s appeared very late in production and they were marked. That carbine sn indicates it might be too early for a type 2 and I can’t detect any markings from the picture.

If it is indeed milled and unmarked with a channel behind the post...it could be correct.

Last edited by 309Carbine; 05-04-2020 at 04:33 PM.
Old 05-04-2020, 04:56 PM

Im looking for my first carbine, in my price range of up to $1300, I don't expect to get an all correct rifle, especially since most all have been through a refurb or two, but still want to spend the proper amount for what im getting

Im in Ca so anything I bring into the state adds $85 in transfer fee, plus sales tax if it comes from a dealer. If I pick this or another C&R up while out of state, it saves me all that money.
So if this rifle isn't junk, and it's properly priced for what it is I might pick it up.

I would sell the stock so if say that reduces the price by maybe $125, so the rifle price is $825, I might sell the mags but would probably leave them at my out of state crash pad, but the value there even if commercial I think drop a the rifle price below $800. It wouldn't kill if the flip sight is repo, is just replace at a later date or live with it.

Would this SN have a push button safety? If so would it of been replaced at overhaul

More info from seller.Yes
Not sure anout the rear sight it was on it when I bought it. Its marked IN which i think stands for inland. So should be original. The front sight is original all parts are original on it. The 15 round mag is original marked KI. The 30 round one has no markings.

Last edited by brianm767; 05-04-2020 at 06:08 PM.
Old 05-04-2020, 05:34 PM

Should have had a type 2 or maybe a type 3 safety...not a flip. I don’t think one could rule out either.

If you can pick-up a good shooter for a net of around $800 after you sell-off the repo stock and dodge some fees, that seems like a good deal considering where you live.
Old 05-04-2020, 08:38 PM

Front sight is def type 1 and unmarked, but it's not an SG grooved. Read sight is repo, not machined.
C&R 03 FFL holder
Please leave feedback here: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=133760

Last edited by Cops504; 05-04-2020 at 08:40 PM.
Old 05-04-2020, 09:19 PM

If the OP has is shipped to a dealer in CA it will need to be in the non-folding stock or the dealer won't touch it since it would be considered an assault weapon. You can own the folding stock but it can't be mounted on the rifle.

Beware of people who are certain they are right. That certainty allows them to justify almost any act in pursuit of their goals. ( Jack campbell , Guardian)
Old 05-04-2020, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by microwaveguy View Post
If the OP has is shipped to a dealer in CA it will need to be in the non-folding stock or the dealer won't touch it since it would be considered an assault weapon. You can own the folding stock but it can't be mounted on the rifle.
Yep, buy out of state in person with C&R, configure legally then import and register through CFARS and leaving the 10+ mags at my out of state residence.

Last edited by brianm767; 05-05-2020 at 12:24 AM.