Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > New Member Section
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2017, 11:48 AM

Default Hello From Georgia

I am a retired Army guy with 30 years in uniform. I have a modest collection of weapons that I have accumulated over the years. The ones that are most applicable to this forum are a SA 1903 Mark I, a Mosin Nagant 91/30, and M1 Garand which was rebarreled to 7.62 x 51 by Arlington Arsenal.

I come to the forum mainly to seek help in finding a Garand that has personal meaning to me. At age 15, I entered a military high school in Tennessee. The year was 1952. It was then that I was issued my first ever M1 Garand. I was issued many different weapons over the years that I spent in uniform; but that particular M1 is the only weapon which has embedded its serial number in my brain for all these years.

Now that I'm in my twilight years, I often think it would be interesting to know what happened to that rifle. I seek help here; because I figure the best place to look for a needle is in a stack of needles, rather than a haystack.

The subject rifle was SA M1 Garand serial number 2271913. I would greatly appreciate any information that someone might have about the whereabouts of this weapon.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:06 PM

Wish I remembered the SN of the weapons I had in JROTC, and in active duty.

It might have been sold by the CMP, or they might still have it. Tell them your story. Good luck with your search. We have seen some wonderful endings to some of these stories.

You can check with the CMP, but they charge $25.00. Here is what to do with a CMP search:

Q?

Will the CMP research a serial number to see if it had ever been sold by the DCM or CMP?

A.

We will perform the research. Research often involves going through boxes of old records. Our files are only complete from 1996 to the present. We do have some earlier files, but know they are incomplete. We require a letter request with payment and we will respond by letter stating if we found anything, and if so – when we sold it and what model it was we actually sold. We will not identify original purchaser. Allow 2-3 weeks per serial number.

We regret not being able to perform this service for free. We receive dozens of requests each week and it can take up to one hour just to find that we do not have any record of a serial number being researched. Charge is $25.00 per serial number, prepaid, whether we find anything or not.

If interested, send letter to CMP, ATTN: Serial Number Research, 1401 Commerce Blvd., Anniston, AL 36207.

Had 136 Pos feedbacks on the old system, in over two hundred transactions. They went poof. Please post your feedback here: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=200241
Old 11-20-2017, 12:48 PM

Welcome aboard from Florida, good luck with your search.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:53 PM

As I said, I probably had 40-50 different weapons issued to me over a span of 35 years; but that is the only one I can remember.

Thanks for the info about a CMP search. I was aware that they offered the service; but I didn't know what was required to initiate their action. Your reply was helpful.
Old 11-22-2017, 02:42 AM

welcome aboard
Old 11-28-2017, 07:30 AM

Hi Napp! Good to see you over here!
Old 12-06-2017, 05:30 PM

welcome and enjoy
Old 12-06-2017, 09:29 PM

Well it's not listed here unfortunately.

http://usriflecal30m1.com/MasterList/List.aspx
Old 12-06-2017, 09:56 PM

Welcome!

Veteran US Army, Artillery
NRA Member
My Dad was a Gun Captain on the USS Enterprise CV-6 WWll