Go Back   CMP Forums > Welcome Center > How To's
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2018, 10:45 AM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by s11033 View Post
Hey guys,

Sorry to revive this old thread, but there's a lot of good knowledge on here.

Is there any reason that the front receiver legs can't be removed? It seems to me like some of the hassle of opening up the magazine well could be reduced by just cutting the front legs off altogether.

The receiver would look like an M14 receiver with longer legs at the mid-section. I think the trigger housing would still sit correctly since it should be fully bedded on the wood and not the receiver legs. I guess some frontal bedding would be lost, but how important would that be? It seems to me like the primary concern is to support the rear-facing surfaces to keep the action from moving back under recoil. I suppose the font-facing surfaces would come into play with a fully bedded action, but who is taking the time to do that with a BM59?

I'm sure there's a reason the Italians didn't do this in the first place, I'm just not sure what that reason is...

Thanks!

Steve
Sorry for the delay, I still haven't had a chance to touch my rifle but remembered I had these pictures:

The M14 used a piece of steel in the stock to stabilize the magazine, the Italians used the existing receiver legs. Also note that this receiver - modified by Shuff - has the correct Italian pattern angles on the legs to guide the magazine into place when inserted; I've seen more economic conversions that had minimal milling done and required precision insertion of the magazine.

Eli