Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2017, 04:39 PM

How are the 1903A3's? I've got a friend who needs to upgrade his rifle for the Springfield match, but we wouldn't want to drive down if the barrels are worn down on what they have out.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 01-20-2017, 05:31 PM

Just got back from the North store and i did some damage to the old plastic thats for sure! I was looking for a shooter and a collector and thats exactly what i came home with.I picked out a M1D service grade with TE 11-68 etched in its receiver lug that has a greenish tint to it.Stock cartouches are a P on the grip,open box SA and RIA over EB square cartouche.Theres a few pressure marks on the stock but has nice grain and a dark purpleish hint to it.Barrel readings are throat 3 and muzzle 2.Overall very pleased with this as my shooter.This M1D is in the 2.5 range.

Next i found a really sweet stock on a HRA collector grade that is a 5.6....I fell in love with these HRA's 2 weeks ago when i bought a 1903A3 and i looked at this particular gun then.Low and behold i go up 2 weeks later and its still there.It has a distinct front hand guard grain pattern that i distinctly recognize.Anyways this one has to be cleaned up and get the cosmoline out of the action and nooks and crannies of the rifle.Beautiful representative of a post war Garand.Oh yes i intend to occasionally shoot it : ) .....but i bought the M1D as my primary shooter.

There was a 1903A3 that was at the counter that had readings of 1 and 2 i believe and looked to be a good shooter.The stocks on the ones that are left aren't the nicest but i do believe the barrel readings are decent if your looking for a shooter.

Bob at the counter was very helpful in helping me pick these 2 Garands and i can't thank him enough for helping me,,,,,really nice guy to talk to.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:54 PM

any reports on asking price of the 240rd cans?
Old 01-21-2017, 01:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterX View Post
any reports on asking price of the 240rd cans?
240 RND sealed spam cans were/are $169
Old 01-21-2017, 01:23 PM

Thank you for that info.
Old 01-21-2017, 04:24 PM

Quick question for those that visited the store this weekend. I'll be heading up to Ohio for a month-long TDY tomorrow, and was considering making the trip to the North Store next weekend. Before I get my hopes up, any predictions if the inventory will be worth the trip? Hoping to snag a 1903 and a .308 Special, or whatever catches my eye. It's still a 3-hour drive from where I'll be, so I don't want to go if experienced North Store folks think it will be a bust.
Old 01-21-2017, 04:47 PM

Bdevlin,,,The remaining 1903a3's are pretty picked over considering they got them 2 weeks ago.If you want one just as a shooter than there may be one available but i wouldn't count on it.

I was there Yesterday and there wasn't any 308 Specials that i was aware of but i wasn't looking for them nor did i even know they currently sold a 308 special.
Old 01-21-2017, 06:20 PM

I went this morning, there's pry 20 or so 1903A3's left, maybe 4 left with "good bore" after we took 2 home. We got the two with "VFW" carved into the left side, I'm sure many of you passed on. After an absurd amount of Hoppes and patches the bores are absolutely perfect and the muzzle is still well under "1", not sure about the throat. I assume it's still good, the tag is marked .5/1 MW/TE. I don't mind the carved letters, it gives them character and a hint to its history. Plus, I shoot them in the matches frequently so I generally like the ones that aren't perfect.

The "dark bore" rifles are REALLY dark. I'd be surprised if any of the rifles with decent bores would be there by the weekend, if you could be there at open the first day, you'd pry get one. If you're looking for a collector 03A3, you won't find it. They have no more rifles to restock, what is out is it.

If you'll spend $2,000 or $3,000 for a correct or collector grade, there were some great rifles in my opinion, but I'm not necessarily as finicky as more advanced collectors. I found a few service grade C's with matching mounts today while waiting for paperwork.

Regards,
Mike
Old 01-21-2017, 10:41 PM

Also went today-- about 15 Remington's 1903A3,s Most with dark bores--about 5 maybe with bright bores-- my buddy took one with MW of 1 and TE of 2,, nice shiny bore-- Stocks not too bad-- Missing trigger guard screw-- but hes happy with nice looking shooter-- 2 Smith Corona,s left-- both dark bores and one says ruff bore-- also took a look at drill Garands..some new stuff came in (to me) most sorta surface rust-- almost all Springfield Armory- Saw one H&R-- and Two International Harvesters-- One postage stamp and one Gaper-- I took gaper home--The other IH stock was really busted up with no butt plate- didn,t look at any other stuff- Roger
Old 01-22-2017, 07:17 PM

Thanks, guys. I was really looking forward to it, but it sounds like I'm a couple weeks too late.