Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP General > CMP North Store
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 02:09 AM

Unhappy first purchase back in September north store

its late at night, and i guess i finality decided to ask a question or two. i picked up a early 44 Springfield FG with some help from the folks. had 2 for muzzle and 4 for throat. stock had some bang up but i didn't mind history. I have only had the gun out 2 times to shoot since then due to work and weather. i stripped it when i got it home to familiarize myself with her. the op rod spring came out in 6 pieces. was a little surprised and mildly disappointed but considering the springs were readily available i just picked up a new one off ebay. this delayed also getting out and shooting. with new spring in it functions well. doesn't kick the clips out but some say that's just that the clips need wore in. i noticed when i first brought her home the wind-age was all the way left from the store. didn't think much about it. finally got to shoot and i had to adjust all the way left to center shots. winter set in and today i got the chance to go out again this time to center my wind-age and adjust the front sight so i could have adjustment in the rear sight. well...now my front sight is almost half off the mount just to center. also they tend not to group and have flyers, 50 and 100 and 200 all have different "hit zones" so i have to say my biggest fears is bent barrel....input? advice?

Last edited by chrisjp; 04-01-2013 at 02:11 AM.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:59 AM

When you buy a Field Grade replacing springs etc is expected, not ejecting enbolc you may have a broke ejector spring
As far as accuracy is the crown dinged/damaged?
Field Grades are not the best rifle to pick for the first one as they usually need attention
Old 04-01-2013, 06:43 AM

Unhappy Bummer Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjp View Post
its late at night, and i guess i finality decided to ask a question or two. i picked up a early 44 Springfield FG with some help from the folks. had 2 for muzzle and 4 for throat. stock had some bang up but i didn't mind history. I have only had the gun out 2 times to shoot since then due to work and weather. i stripped it when i got it home to familiarize myself with her. the op rod spring came out in 6 pieces. was a little surprised and mildly disappointed but considering the springs were readily available i just picked up a new one off ebay. this delayed also getting out and shooting. with new spring in it functions well. doesn't kick the clips out but some say that's just that the clips need wore in. i noticed when i first brought her home the wind-age was all the way left from the store. didn't think much about it. finally got to shoot and i had to adjust all the way left to center shots. winter set in and today i got the chance to go out again this time to center my wind-age and adjust the front sight so i could have adjustment in the rear sight. well...now my front sight is almost half off the mount just to center. also they tend not to group and have flyers, 50 and 100 and 200 all have different "hit zones" so i have to say my biggest fears is bent barrel....input? advice?
Well...............that story sure is a bummer. Not the best way to start out a collection of Garands. Wishing you patience, time and cash in figuring out the 'problem(s)' you are facing. It appears to be quite a few. I am sure you will find ALL the help you need on this forum...........just not from me. Good luck and hang in there....as I suspect most of the problems can be solved without spending big dollars...
Old 04-01-2013, 12:42 PM

pic of the spring...ill post pic of my "adjustment" to the front sight after work tonight. also the clip eject spring is fine...but i can take pics of that also later.http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/...7/GEDC0602.jpg
Old 04-01-2013, 12:58 PM

Its not unusual to have to replace Op Rod spring in fact I do it to all my Garands when I get them even if they are in good shape
Dont use Wolff extra Power springs as they can cause short stroking
I get mine from Orion 7
Old 04-01-2013, 03:00 PM

Your clip ejector spring is probably broken if it does not eject enblocs. It resides at the bottom of the trigger guard. If you want one, I would be happy to send you a used one for free if you PM me your address.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:53 PM

How's the crown look?
Old 04-02-2013, 12:03 AM

ok here is a pic of the spring...its good snaps back every time i push on it. (yes this pic was taken pre clean but have checked it many time since then still snaps right back up)

http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/...7/GEDC0598.jpg

here is the crown
http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/...7/GEDC0597.jpg

here is where i had to adjust the front sight to hit center at 50 and 100...

http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/...7/GEDC1158.jpg

oh and forgot...center at 50 was 14 clicks up from bottom. and it put about inch high at 100.

Last edited by chrisjp; 04-02-2013 at 12:43 AM.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:32 AM

e-mail customer support with a link to this thread and they will forward to a armorer
Old 04-02-2013, 06:35 AM

I doubt a bent barrel. Some times the shoulder of the barrel on one side is not true and when the barrel is screwed onto the receiver it actually pushes off of one side (needs to be trued on a lath). Check the stock fit for the flyers? There should be a little space between the rear hand guard and the front of the receiver. And also between the top of the stock and the bottom of the hand guard length. Is the hand guard ferrule touching the gas cylinder on one side of the rear shelf? Things to look at. Jim