X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RazorBurn
    • Apr 2010

Couple of questions about CMP 1911's to be auctioned

Ok, I don't remember seeing this question posted, and yes I did do a search. When does the CMP 1911 program plan on posting up 1911's for auction? I assume the auctions won't happen until sometime after October 5th so the random lottery numbers can be provided, or will it be open season for whoever is willing to "pay the piper" so to speak?

I seem to remember Mark saying that the winners of the auction would have to submit their order packet to CMP 1911 like anyone else trying to purchase a CMP 1911, but I don't remember him saying if the auction winners order packet had to be submitted in advance or not.
    RazorBurn Feedback Thread http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=131455
  • majorfa
    • Nov 2009

auction

It was posted a while back that if they have an auction it will be after the sell. If you are only going to bid on an auction pistol you don't have to send a packet unless you win the bid. If you submit a packet and get a low number you have to decided which you want can't have both.

Comment

• bevo2222
      • Oct 2011

Originally posted by RazorBurn View Post
      Ok, I don't remember seeing this question posted, and yes I did do a search. When does the CMP 1911 program plan on posting up 1911's for auction? I assume the auctions won't happen until sometime after October 5th so the random lottery numbers can be provided, or will it be open season for whoever is willing to "pay the piper" so to speak?

I seem to remember Mark saying that the winners of the auction would have to submit their order packet to CMP 1911 like anyone else trying to purchase a CMP 1911, but I don't remember him saying if the auction winners order packet had to be submitted in advance or not.
      http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=233579

Comment

• cmp1911admin
        • Apr 2018

If you are going to bid on auction pistols then you do not have to submit a order packet until you win the bid.

Comment

• snipershot1944
          • Nov 2009

So if you want to cut to the head of the line, bid for one at auction I guess.

Comment

• RazorBurn
            • Apr 2010

Originally posted by snipershot1944 View Post
            So if you want to cut to the head of the line, bid for one at auction I guess.
            Oh I have no desire to bid on one. Was just wanting to make sure how things were going to go down. I'll be watching the auctions just to see what they put up, but I have zero desire to pay what I would consider beyond a premium for one.

Comment

• cmp1911admin
              • Apr 2018

Why is that sniper????

Comment

• FLD
                • Apr 2017

Originally posted by snipershot1944
                Agreed, but I'd feel a lot better about things if the bidders have to get their paperwork in during the same time frame as us common folk.
                They do. The winning bidder has to submit a completed and correct packet and pass the background check before the pistol is shipped.
                The other side of the coin is this; if I end up with a relatively high number and I don't want to wait until a future allotment, I may be more inclined to bid on an auction.
                Last edited by FLD; 09-13-2018, 09:34 PM.

Comment

• snipershot1944
                  • Nov 2009

reply to cmp1911admin.

I guess I'm following two thought paths. Many of us have gone through a lot of trouble to "jump through the hoops" specified by CMP to get a correct package in on time during the very narrow 30-day window specified to be able to purchase one of these pistols using the lottery option. To allow the folks using the auction to submit their packages at any time, outside the 30-day window just seems unfair to me. It's like cutting the line for a movie or concert where there are limited seats.

Also, more importantly, it's a numbers game. CMP has about 8000 pistols now, and might get up to 100,000 over an 8-12 year basis. So you have a fixed number of pistols. With the use of the 30-day window to submit packages, you also then have a fixed number of people who can buy the pistols. If you allow packages to be submitted after the 30 day window for those who buy using the auction option, the number of people who are allowed to buy is no longer fixed, it's increased. At the end of the process, on a 1:1 basis, those allowed to submit their paperwork outside of the 30-day window will knock off one applicant who has waited patiently in line for months or year.

Comment

• Avman81
                    • Jun 2017

Isn't CMP1911 processing the 1911's received and making a determination of which pistols will be available for the lottery and which will be available to the auction site? If so, then there are two different universes of pistols available for purchase that are interconnected only by the paperwork requirements. If you submitted for a lottery pistol and end up purchasing an auction pistol, you lose your lottery standing. If you get a lottery pistol, you cannot get an auction pistol. That seems fair.

Conversely, the way I see it from your point of view, if all interested parties submitted now, then only those who submitted could either get a lottery pistol or bid on the auction and no one else. That keeps the universe of bidders as a fixed number. You need to remember that as these pistols are released from the Army to CMP, the process repeats itself. CMP will not know the quality of the items until received, and will now know quantities available for either lottery or auction until they have gone through them.

I have my lottery packet in. I love looking at the auction items, but unfortunately for me, I do not have enough disposable income to afford most of those items. I am almost certain it will that way for the 1911s as well.

Comment

• brianm423
                      • May 2018

With any auction item, whoever is the winning bidder submits their packet AFTER auction closes. CMP gives you 30 days to submit packet for auction. So in this case with the 1911s, if any are auctioned (I'm sure there will be some), they are going to sell for way more than the service grade price of a $1k. I think that warrants the winning bidder, who might not have sent in a packet during the standard window, to submit their packet at that time. If you want to guarantee yourself a pistol and not deal with the lottery, then I would plan to dish out some cash for an auction item. Just like any other rare firearm that comes through the CMP channels.

Comment

• RazorBurn
                        • Apr 2010

I look at the auctions as separate from the mail order items available from the CMP. Most of the time the items on auction are rarer and harder to find, and even when a more common items show up on the auctions tend to bring more money than they really should. I think there are a couple of reasons for this. People are using the auctions as a way to donate to the CMP, and of course you always have people who get into bidding wars.

I myself don't have a problem with the auctions being a separate order packet because I bet you dollars to doughnuts there will be quite a few non-paying bidders. No need for the CMP to go through more paperwork for someone who isn't going to complete the auction process IMHO. People get caught up in the moment in a bidding war, and then don't follow through. We've all seen it happen on the CMP, eBay and Gunbroker.

Comment

• SEANinMICH
                          • Oct 2009

Many of us have gone through a lot of trouble to "jump through the hoops" specified by CMP to get a correct package in on time during the very narrow 30-day window specified to be able to purchase one of these pistols using the lottery option.
                          What is required could hardly be considered "jumping through hoops". Anyone purchasing an auction item will also have to complete all the same information. In what century is a 30 day window for mail delivery "narrow"? Are you sending your package by horseback messenger?

To allow the folks using the auction to submit their packages at any time, outside the 30-day window just seems unfair to me. It's like cutting the line for a movie or concert where there are limited seats.
                          Those auction folks are also going to be paying 2-3 times more than the lottery folks. I guess that's not fair, either. Maybe CMP should just start pricing at $2000 for rackers and skip the auction all together. Then it would be "fair"

Also, more importantly, it's a numbers game. CMP has about 8000 pistols now, and might get up to 100,000 over an 8-12 year basis. So you have a fixed number of pistols. With the use of the 30-day window to submit packages, you also then have a fixed number of people who can buy the pistols. If you allow packages to be submitted after the 30 day window for those who buy using the auction option, the number of people who are allowed to buy is no longer fixed, it's increased. At the end of the process, on a 1:1 basis, those allowed to submit their paperwork outside of the 30-day window will knock off one applicant who has waited patiently in line for months or year.
                          Huh?? It's one pistol per LIFETIME. The number of people that can purchase is absolutely limited to exactly the number of pistols received. items going to auction are going no matter what. They aren't going to be part of the lottery sales, so no one "patiently waiting" has been skipped over at all. If someone that is waiting doesn't want to wait anymore, they can go ahead and purchase their once in a lifetime pistol on auction.

Comment

• Blacksmith
                            • Nov 2011

The primary purpose of CMP firearm sales is to make money to fund the many other programs they have. They are doing a good job of balancing the funding goal with the effort to fairly distribute the firearms to people who will use them to promote civilian marksmanship.

In my dealings with CMP I have been both lucky and unlucky but have always been satisfied. Life is not fair but the CMP is (IMHO).

Comment

• Ohio Don
                              • Jan 2014

Originally posted by SEANinMICH View Post
                              What is required could hardly be considered "jumping through hoops". Anyone purchasing an auction item will also have to complete all the same information. In what century is a 30 day window for mail delivery "narrow"? Are you sending your package by horseback messenger?

Those auction folks are also going to be paying 2-3 times more than the lottery folks. I guess that's not fair, either. Maybe CMP should just start pricing at $2000 for rackers and skip the auction all together. Then it would be "fair"

Huh?? It's one pistol per LIFETIME. The number of people that can purchase is absolutely limited to exactly the number of pistols received. items going to auction are going no matter what. They aren't going to be part of the lottery sales, so no one "patiently waiting" has been skipped over at all. If someone that is waiting doesn't want to wait anymore, they can go ahead and purchase their once in a lifetime pistol on auction.
                              And your last statement is exactly about what I understood from Marks's comments. You had to submit the paperwork now to try for either one. An auction pistol or a lottery pistol. As there is a finite number of them to be available in both cases. Now CMP1911Admin says that they can be sent later for the auction ones. That does cut the number of chances that are available to those who sent them in during the 9/4/ to 10/4 opening. Which is why my questions were asked before and many here scoffed at them. Because now instead of say 75,000 who send in their packets now, they also have to battle those who couldn't be bothered to do it until they see what may be auctioned.

Here is Mark's quotes:
                              Originally posted by Mark Johnson View Post
                              You are correct. All who are interested in owning a 1911 type pistol from CMP should send in paperwork 4 September thru 4 October, 2018.
                              Key word is from the second sentence and is the first word, "All". And
                              If the customer declines the grade available, their name will be removed from the list and they will be kicked off the island into the abyss with all others who do not receive a 1911A1 from CMP.
                              So has there been a change in the way things are going to be handled since June?

US Army Transportation and Medical Corps Museums Life member

Comment

Working...
                              X