Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2020, 02:17 PM

Default broken extractors

Do 1917s have a problem with wreak extractors? I am rereading Bataan our last ditch. In the book it states that the 11 inf had 550 rifles with broken extractors so troops were given a piece of bamboo to use like a ramrod and run it down the barrel and push the shell out after each shot. I assume he was talking about the 1917 because that is what the PI army used. the scouts and American troops had M1s the air force and support troops 1903s
Old 04-01-2020, 02:23 PM

I haven't heard that, but I think ejectors had a habit of breaking.
Old 04-01-2020, 02:32 PM

To my knowledge, M1917 extractors were no weaker than M1903 extractors. Both extractors utilized a common design. Both extractors, however, had weaknesses and were prone to breakage. A spare extractor was included in the M1903 wooden spare parts kit stuffed in the butt.

J.B.
Old 04-01-2020, 03:04 PM

I agree with JB. Extractors were not a problem. But the ejector spring had a nasty habit of breaking. Odd design and ended up being weak.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:45 PM

Default John Beard

John, if you don't mind, besides an extractor what other spare parts were stored in the butt? Thanks
Old 04-01-2020, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwroad View Post
John, if you don't mind, besides an extractor what other spare parts were stored in the butt? Thanks

The M1903 spare parts kit in the butt contained an extractor, a firing pin, and a striker. All were susceptible to breakage, but not frequently. The spare parts kit was issued in every other rifle, so it served two rifles.

J.B.
Old 04-01-2020, 09:44 PM

Thank you!
Old 04-02-2020, 06:16 PM

Some years ago I read that you can use a cutdown ballpoint pen spring to temporarily replace a broken extractor spring on the M1917. Anyone confirm this or is it an urban myth?
Old 04-02-2020, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olBEAR View Post
Some years ago I read that you can use a cutdown ballpoint pen spring to temporarily replace a broken extractor spring on the M1917. Anyone confirm this or is it an urban myth?
That's actually the fix for a broken M1917 or Pattern 14 ejector.
Old 04-03-2020, 05:41 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by olBEAR View Post
Olbear,
Not sure what you mean by temporary, and as M1Garandy mentions, maybe you meant ejector...but the existence of a modified ejector using a cutdown ballpoint pen spring (or one similar to it) is confirmed.

Go to post #14 in this thread and you’ll see a pic by Milsurp Collector with an original versus the modified ejector:
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=138422

Midway used to sell one, and the pic included in this link is a good representation of it:
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1004790095?pid=359847

With that, it’s relatively easy to take an original ejector where the spring has broken off and use a Dremel to cut the tab you see on the Wisener ejector in the ad above to hold the spring.
I have done this on two of my rifles where the original ejector spring broke, and have not had any issues with either of them since.
Of course, this would not be a correct part from a collector standpoint (Just as Milsurp Collector mentions in that thread, I have a few USGI ejectors on hand to include, or replace the modified ones if I sell them).

I have seen reference where a similar spring is placed at the end of the ejector, but have never used that so can’t speak to if it works, fits, etc.

Rob

CMP Customer / GCA Member / VFW & NRA Life Member

Feedback Thread: http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=137544