Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > CMP Bolt Action Rifles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2019, 12:48 PM

Default Wood C Stock finish

Hey all, I recently bought two of the Minelli reproduction C stocks. As others have stated, they are way to thick around the rear grip area. I want to re contour one to see if I can get a more accurate shape. I am curious if any of you experts out there might help me in that regard. Should I try to remove all the finish prior to recontouring or just sand and then apply finish to the area that has been reshaped? I am concerned that I wont get the finish correct if I don't remove everything before hand. It looks to be the BLO with the red hue that came on it form the factory, but I am not expert. Aside from the incorrect contour, these stocks are absolutely beautiful FYI. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 10-13-2019, 08:49 AM

I think it would be hard to remove wood in the pistol grip area and then blend it to match the rest of the stock. It can be done. I've seen some guys that are amazing at wood, but I'm not one of them.

If I was going to re-contour the pistol grip area, I would would probably end up sanding the whole stock and making it all uniform and then staining/BLO'ing it from there.
Old 10-13-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cplnorton View Post
I think it would be hard to remove wood in the pistol grip area and then blend it to match the rest of the stock. It can be done. I've seen some guys that are amazing at wood, but I'm not one of them.

If I was going to re-contour the pistol grip area, I would would probably end up sanding the whole stock and making it all uniform and then staining/BLO'ing it from there.
10-4, that'll probably be what I do.
Old 10-14-2019, 08:43 AM

I have experience fitting a Minelli C Stock. It's a great stock, but not a drop in.

My first issue was that the middle band / sling swivel did not fit. I had to re-contour the fore end of the stock extensively.

I also found the rest of the stock to be a little "fat", so I ended up re-contouring that, using my USGI stock as an example.

Minelli applied some sort of finish at the factory. This will come off once you start the work. Once I was happy with the re-contouring, I ended up lightly sanding the rest of the stock to remove the finish.

I remember doing extensive fitting with regards to
* Inletting of the trigger guard area
* Action sat on the "sides" of the stock, so these areas were relieved
* Rear tang area needed some dremel work to provide proper relief. <--this is common to any 1903 stock.

I used lipstick to check and re-check the stock fitment as I worked.

I finished the stock in RAW linseed oil. This was 3 years ago.

Oh yeah, you're going to need the cross bolts and nuts. Get those from Numrich Gun Parts.

Minelli doesn't make a HG, so I sourced a NOS USGI HG.

Here's the rifle at Camp Perry earlier this year !

https://i.imgur.com/bf9Wuzm.jpg

All of this being said, if I was in the market for another 1903 C Stock I would go with Minelli again.

Last edited by dw617; 10-14-2019 at 08:48 AM.
Old 10-14-2019, 09:17 AM

Send a message via AIM to Shomway

Quote:
Originally Posted by dw617 View Post

Oh yeah, you're going to need the cross bolts and nuts. Get those from Numrich Gun Parts.

All of this being said, if I was in the market for another 1903 C Stock I would go with Minelli again.
You will also need the rear bushing too, since no stock metal is included with the stock....none!
If you order from Stocky's they include a hand guard with their stocks...something to consider.
https://www.stockysstocks.com/stocks...od-stocks.html

I agree that they are decent stocks!!
Old 10-14-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dw617 View Post
I have experience fitting a Minelli C Stock. It's a great stock, but not a drop in.

My first issue was that the middle band / sling swivel did not fit. I had to re-contour the fore end of the stock extensively.

I also found the rest of the stock to be a little "fat", so I ended up re-contouring that, using my USGI stock as an example.

Minelli applied some sort of finish at the factory. This will come off once you start the work. Once I was happy with the re-contouring, I ended up lightly sanding the rest of the stock to remove the finish.

I remember doing extensive fitting with regards to
* Inletting of the trigger guard area
* Action sat on the "sides" of the stock, so these areas were relieved
* Rear tang area needed some dremel work to provide proper relief. <--this is common to any 1903 stock.

I used lipstick to check and re-check the stock fitment as I worked.

I finished the stock in RAW linseed oil. This was 3 years ago.

Here's the rifle at Camp Perry earlier this year !

https://i.imgur.com/bf9Wuzm.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shomway View Post
You will also need the rear bushing too, since no stock metal is included with the stock....none!
If you order from Stocky's they include a hand guard with their stocks...something to consider.
https://www.stockysstocks.com/stocks...od-stocks.html

I agree that they are decent stocks!!

Thanks for the replies. Good to hear the finish that Minelli applies comes off easily. I will be attempting to recontour one of these stocks to match what you would find on an 03A4. And yes, Stockys did send it with a matching handguard/barrel guard. I think I may go that RAW linseed route. Looks incredible.
Old 10-14-2019, 07:29 PM

I stripped mine using rubbing alcohol and the Minelli stain came right off. My stock took quite a bit of work to fit and the action didn't even sit straight when I started.

The profile is very close to that of a Keystone C stock. If you're trying to contour it to feel like one of the prewar C stocks that made it onto early 03A4s, there will be a lot of work to do.

-Eugene B. Sledge
Old 10-14-2019, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinydata View Post
I stripped mine using rubbing alcohol and the Minelli stain came right off. My stock took quite a bit of work to fit and the action didn't even sit straight when I started.

The profile is very close to that of a Keystone C stock. If you're trying to contour it to feel like one of the prewar C stocks that made it onto early 03A4s, there will be a lot of work to do.
yeah.. im contemplating trying to find a USGI C stock to avoid having to mess with these Minellis.
Old 10-14-2019, 09:38 PM

Two notes of caution on GI C stocks. First, they don't necessarily fit properly either. I just bought a rifle with a very nice Keystone stock that fits very poorly.

The other big issue is wood compression in the tang area. As this area compresses, the action has to sit lower in the stock and the tang bushing also needs to be shortened.

-Eugene B. Sledge