Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > Accessories
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2017, 04:41 PM

Question Sling Too hard to Adjust?

Hi, I recently was given a Turner sling. It is very hard to adjust the keepers and hard to adjust in general. What am I missing? regards, Mike

"The secret of happiness is freedom, and the secret of freedom, courage"...Thucyides
Old 11-06-2017, 04:57 PM

It only gets looser the more you use it. If you want to use it in competition, I'd suggest repeatedly exercising the sling by adjusting it and slinging up and taking it off your arm.

If you want to make it looser more quickly, and are not concerned with long time competition durability, you can use neatsfoot oil liberally.

This applies to leather slings.

[email protected]

Last edited by Louisxllx; 11-06-2017 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Leather?
Old 11-06-2017, 10:17 PM

Hi Louis, Thanks regards, Mike

"The secret of happiness is freedom, and the secret of freedom, courage"...Thucyides
Old 11-07-2017, 12:13 AM

According to Turner, don't use neatsfoot oil. It will breakdown the sling over time. There are many threads on products to use on your sling in the cmp forums. Use the search feature.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by painless76 View Post
According to Turner, don't use neatsfoot oil. It will breakdown the sling over time. There are many threads on products to use on your sling in the cmp forums. Use the search feature.
Hi, I tried some Pecards before I posted. It did nothing, regards, Mike

Old 11-09-2017, 05:09 PM

Cut a length of 1 1/2" or 2"" PVC and put it in a vise. Take the sling apart and pull it back and forth across the pipe flipping it over from time to time until it softens up.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:16 PM

When using a sling for support, tight keepers are a good thing. If it's a leather sling they will loosen with use. Too loose and they can slide and cause your position to break down.

The length adjustment frogs/hooks are usually tight initially and hard to hook. The holes you use will loosen up as well.
“After all is said and done, successful rifle shooting on the range is nothing more than first finding a rifle and lot of ammunition which will do precisely the same thing shot after shot, and then developing the same skill in the rifleman.” ~ Capt. E. C. Crossman (Book of the Springfield)
Old 11-10-2017, 02:45 AM

NMC-EXP:

What he said.

[email protected]
Old 11-10-2017, 09:04 PM

Wink Think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Mike View Post
Hi, I recently was given a Turner sling. It is very hard to adjust the keepers and hard to adjust in general. What am I missing? regards, Mike
New leather slings are like new leather shoes or boots. Ya gotta use them to break them in. The more ya use them the more comfortable they become.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:11 AM

Yep, just needs a little break in. Don't worry, both you and the sling will become close the longer you use it.