Go Back   CMP Forums > CMP Sales > M1 Carbine
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2010, 10:57 PM

Default Rear sight installation

Was going to "rent" the carbine rear sight installation tool from one of our "gracious" members. However, I went deer hunting. I was in stand "rattling-up" bucks with a Hunters specialties rattle bag. Strange, while rattling I thought about rear sight. Hey, these are hardwood dowles in rattle bag. Got home, laid b.r. on left side after cleaning dovetail w/toothbrush. Took a hardwood dowle from my rattle bag. With a 13 0z claw hammer for "power" I centered dowel on right side of I.R. CO. "stamped sight and Tap,Tap,Tap sight went in (rt. to left) slick. Tight. I measured both side to get it centered. No marks on sight. "Deer Rattle Bag" Installation. Thought I would share this one.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:06 PM

Congrats....too bad deer don't rattle up that easy!

Gunny
Old 11-14-2017, 06:33 AM

That is the sort of story that I love. Do not buy or rent a tool for a one time job. Just make it happen. In forty years of repairing antique, mechanical clocks, I can not tell you how many times I made tools that I needed, or just used what I had on hand to make it work. "Necessity if the mother of invention!"
Old 11-14-2017, 07:14 PM

I bought one of those rattle bags last year. Rattled it once in the store, and told Tony I was gonna' pull one in that day. I did - a trophy.

I DIDN'T tell him that the deer was gonna' come in on my 6 (so he's still out there )............................
Old 11-14-2017, 09:19 PM

I have used an oak hardwood block on a number of front and rear sights and it worked fine. But a couple of years ago I decided to splurge on the tools (from Matrix Precision) and they work great! If you do more than a couple I highly recommend them.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:01 AM

If hardwood blocks are not available, one can put two or three layers of masking tape over the end of the sight to be whacked and no marks are made on the sight, using a brass drift pin.
Old 11-15-2017, 06:47 AM

One reason for using the tools is there is less risk of damaging the dovetail (slow even pressure in the right place). I have seen some posts here on such damage over the years, it might have been avoided with the tool. Likewise the front sight tool helps avoid barrel scratching. I bought them for a rifle where I could not risk any damage so it was worth the $50.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:48 PM

Send a message via MSN to 1gunnut

Is no one gonna say it? Waiting for it...
Old 11-17-2017, 10:28 AM

All right, I'll say it. Using the correct tools also presents less risk of damaging the sight itself. The stamped sights, e.g. the IRCo ones, are particularly susceptible to bent "wings" by field "armorers". I hope OP screwed the aperture all the way over to the right to support the wing before "tapping" the sight into place.

Old 11-17-2017, 10:56 AM

I was pleasantly surprised how easily the sight broke loose and slipped off, left to right as when sighting. Again, I put three layers of masking tape over the area of the sight base that was going to get whacked with my brass drift pin. Afterwards, there were no marks on the sight, sight base or receiver, near the dove tail cut out.

The one precaution that I did take, learned from my clock making days, was to polish the end of the brass drift pin that made contact with the sight. This helped in not causing the drift pin to cut through the masking tape and make any contact with the rear sight.

I would imagine that had the sight been staked in place, I would have had more problems, but it was not staked.